Sheriff tells staffer to marry, move or quit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got Philk? said:
You know, I can actually relate to this story. Last summer, I worked at a YMCA for my internship. I met, worked with, and got along with this girl named Mandy who had recently moved into an apartment with her boyfriend Dave. Dave wanted my job when my internship was up, but could not have it since he lived with Mandy.

The reason was exactly that. This organization didn't allow two people who live together, but aren't married, to work together. It was a rule in the handbook. Is this legal?

The shady part comes when the other YMCA across town had 5 employees, 2 men and 3 women, living together in an apartment. How's that for consistancy?

That's dumb, especially with the hypocrisy mentioned at the end there-nice.

I guess I'm just really, really confused here-if someone chooses to personally live with their loved one before they're married, why exactly should that be anyone else's concern? If a couple doesn't want to live together before they're married, that's entirely up to them, they've got their reasons, I don't care-but if other couples do wish to live together before they're married, let 'em. Their doing that doesn't make their work ethic any better or less than the work ethic of those who don't live with their loved one before marriage, and it's nobody else's beeswax to begin with anyway. Why some people are so intent on controlling this aspect of people's personal lives, I will never understand.

Angela

A little OT, but when I was right out of college I had this creep who I was interviewing for a job with. It was at a mid size, what I thought was a reputable company. It was for a receptionist position.

He actually asked me something to the effect "would you be willing to do anything to keep the clients happy" Um that was weird and inappropriate, the implication was sort of clear, and it was the tone of voice too. I answered something like "well yes, anything within reason". He gave me this BS how the receptionist was the "face" of the company, sets the tone, blah blah

Needless to say I didn't get the job, not necessarily for that reason but I had my hunch. Who would want to work there anyway?

I don't understand why some employers get so keyed up about what their staffers do at home or when they're not working. I have two cousins who used to be airline stewardesses. They weren't allowed to wear multiple pierce earrings even when they were not at work--that is, wear more than one earring in each ear. I always wondered who in hell would get hurt for those earrings. Sheesh.

verte76 said:
I don't understand why some employers get so keyed up about what their staffers do at home or when they're not working.
Agreed, unless it's something that has the potential to affect their work, i.e. they use cocaine or heroin, and they start screwing things up as a result of it. But then, you'd be firing them for the screw-up really, and not the drug use.

I can't imagine how having a live-in bf/gf is going to affect this person, unless he thinks he's going to go to hell for it by proxy.

I dunno... I think multiple earings might be like some kinda "gateway piercing" that may lead to other piercings in the future. Heck, you might even come to work and pierce your co-workers! :ohmy:

:laugh:

melon said:

I've been tempted to start a business around here, just so I could hire and fire a revolving door of heterosexuals. I think I'd get a kick out of that.

Melon

Ha! That made me laugh. I'd love to see the looks on some of the people's faces. Especially if you told them the very thought of them "doing it" was utterly repulsive to you. :D

Back
Top Bottom