Sheriff tells staffer to marry, move or quit! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:17 PM
It's not just the south; Strange things like this happen all over unfortunately People in the north just seem to be better at keeping it out of the public eye or something

I have an aunt who was recently remarried after a divorce and the church wouldn't allow her to get married at the alter, but only in the room they call the 'red room', which is in the basement off the sunday school facilities.

It really is a strange place; this world and the different things people come up with as ways to judge each other

Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Regardless about how they feel about it, an employer has no business butting into your personal life and making moral judgments about it. All they should have anything to say about is your work performance and anything that directly affects that performance.

By law they're not supposed to be able to ask about your personal life in an interview or ask inappropriate questions (of course some skirt that and still do)-so once you're hired your personal life shouldn't be their business either.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I also live in North Carolina... grew up, went to school and attended church in Pender County for a good portion of my life. Wilmington & New Hanover County (right next door to Pender Co) is where I live now.

We had a case here in New Hanover Co. about 7 months ago with a woman on probation in NJ (I think) that had moved to NC & got into trouble for living with her boyfriend because someone reported her locally, based our co-habitation law. I don't remember all the details, but it's odd that this issue should come up in the area twice all of a sudden. Supposedly, the sherriff in Pender County made his ultimatum because he felt it wasn't right to employ someone who was blatantly defying state law. The fact remains, however, that his employee's living arrangements are none of his business. As for the matter of the law, there are plenty of out-dated laws on the books that no longer apply to modern citizens. You know - those silly things you see listed from time to time. Stuff like "It shall be illegal to ride an elephant in the city limits after 7pm", "Any citizen found to be bathing more than twice a week shall be arrested", etc, etc. His moral convinctions shouldn't be forced onto anyone else - his family, his friends, and certainly not his employees!
Sadly, though, NC is not a "right to work" state.... our employers can fire us at any time without notice for whatever reason suits them. So long as we weren't fired for a discriminatory reason (that can be proven), we've got no recourse.

The whole situation reeks... and certainly doesn't help kill the image of NC as some backward cesspool, crawling with holier-than-thou Southern Baptist Morality Police.

We aren't all raving hypocrites... I swear!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
We aren't all raving hypocrites... I swear!
Just the lawmakers and the law enforcers!

....unfortunately that seems to be the case in much of the US.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

So true - and the worst of it is, many times they're the ones MOST likely to "bend" the rules. Especially when it comes to their personal lives. DUIs that disappear, reckless driving charges that just go away.... Sound familiar???
Old 05-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Sadly, though, NC is not a "right to work" state.... our employers can fire us at any time without notice for whatever reason suits them. So long as we weren't fired for a discriminatory reason (that can be proven), we've got no recourse.
Actually, you don't want your state to be part of the "right to work" states. Those laws are Orwellian in nature, and mostly serve to bust unions, drive down wages, and, yes, erode worker protections. So, I'm guessing NC is a "right to work" state.

Melon
Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
OK, just so we are clear about North Carolina

Right to work - yes
Right to live in sin - no

Old 05-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Don't forget the voters who elect them too. Unfortunately, too many in the Left have decided that "their vote doesn't count," so they all decided to stop voting en masse. Smart.

Melon
Old 05-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

i despair.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Don't blame the Left for this one...this can't even be the Left's fault.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You know, I can actually relate to this story. Last summer, I worked at a YMCA for my internship. I met, worked with, and got along with this girl named Mandy who had recently moved into an apartment with her boyfriend Dave. Dave wanted my job when my internship was up, but could not have it since he lived with Mandy.

The reason was exactly that. This organization didn't allow two people who live together, but aren't married, to work together. It was a rule in the handbook. Is this legal?

The shady part comes when the other YMCA across town had 5 employees, 2 men and 3 women, living together in an apartment. How's that for consistancy?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
You know, I can actually relate to this story. Last summer, I worked at a YMCA for my internship. I met, worked with, and got along with this girl named Mandy who had recently moved into an apartment with her boyfriend Dave. Dave wanted my job when my internship was up, but could not have it since he lived with Mandy.

The reason was exactly that. This organization didn't allow two people who live together, but aren't married, to work together. It was a rule in the handbook. Is this legal?

The shady part comes when the other YMCA across town had 5 employees, 2 men and 3 women, living together in an apartment. How's that for consistancy?
That sucks. It's very inconsistant.

I didn't live with my first wife before we got married and the living together was a HUGE adjustment. I won't say it led to our divorce but it was a small part of it. I will live with the next girl who I think I may marry, much to the dissappointment of my parents, but I feel like it's something I really need to do if we're both going to really know if we can do this for the rest of our lives.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Actually, you don't want your state to be part of the "right to work" states. Those laws are Orwellian in nature, and mostly serve to bust unions, drive down wages, and, yes, erode worker protections. So, I'm guessing NC is a "right to work" state.

Melon
Actually, I can never remember whether being a "right to work" state means you CAN'T get fired without notice or if it means you CAN be fired without warning....

Whatever the case, my boss, Mr. Blu's boss, any employer here in NC can fire you on the spot with no explanation. The only recourse one may have is if they can PROVE the termination falls under the anti-discrimination umbrella.
- I was fired becuase I'm a woman
- I was fired because I'm black
- I was fired because I'm gay
That type of thing. And those are almost always impossible to "prove".
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I love when news about towns in the south make it to national news and paints a picture of ignorance for all who live below the mason-dixon line.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The only recourse one may have is if they can PROVE the termination falls under the anti-discrimination umbrella.
- I was fired becuase I'm a woman
- I was fired because I'm black
- I was fired because I'm gay
That type of thing. And those are almost always impossible to "prove".
In most states, you can be fired for being gay, and it's not illegal. Your boss could look you right in the eye and say "I'm firing you just because I don't like your sexuality" and there's nothing you could do.

I've been tempted to start a business around here, just so I could hire and fire a revolving door of heterosexuals. I think I'd get a kick out of that.

Melon