She Is Ruining Her Son's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Geez, how dare his mother "ruin his life" like that?

When you read how this woman twists everything around in her mind and justifies her behavior, you can see how these women have a certain maturity level and can also easily manipulate a young boy. They are adults in positions of authority and power, not to mention it is morally wrong and wrong in every other way. I can't fathom an attraction/affair of any type to/with a teenager when you're her age or older. Maybe some people are so insecure that it gives them a huge ego trip to think a boy is attracted to them, I don't know.I guess they can just live in denial of the reality of the situation. Not to mention that this woman is also a mother.

I have to wonder what in their childhoods and/or adult lives makes them behave in this way, if anything. Not as an excuse for their behavior but I think it would be an interesting subject to study.

"A 16-year-old who videotaped himself having sex with his 31-year-old teacher and looked at photos of her naked is not a victim, the married mother of two says.

Amber S. Jennings, 32, who admitted this week that she e-mailed photos of herself naked to her former student, also criticized the boy's mother who reportedly said she wants to cash in on the incident with a civil suit.

``It is just unfortunate that she would go so far as to ruin her son's life in order to profit,'' Jennings told the Worcester Telegram and Gazette this week.

Jennings pleaded guilty this week to disseminating harmful materials to a minor and was sentenced to two years probation.

Jennings told the paper she's writing a book about the case.

Jennings met the boy while teaching English at Shepherd Hill Regional High School in Dudley.

Authorities say they started out as friends but things heated up in late 2003 when the boy was 16.

The two started having sex, videotaping their romps and e-mailing naked photos and messages to each other, according to court documents. The boy told authorities the sex was consensual.``It was just an idea I had to tape it,'' the boy told authorities, according to court documents.

Jennings admitted this week that she e-mailed naked photos of herself to the boy.

The affair lasted until July 2004, when the victim's mom asked him about an online chat with Jennings.

Jennings, who has two young girls, lives in a secluded lakefront home in Sturbridge. She declined comment last night.

Jennings underwent a psychiatric evaluation in January and it was determined her risk for future sexual violence is ``very low, if not nil.''
During the same evaluation, she told the doctor her marriage to Russell Jennings, her high school sweetheart, was ``somewhat strained as of late.''

Under the new agreement, Jennings pledged to stay away from the victim and surrender her license to teach public school in Massachusetts. She must undergo evaluations and treatment as a sex offender.
She is not required to register as a sex offender.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Geez, how dare his mother "ruin his life" like that?

When you read how this woman twists everything around in her mind and justifies her behavior, you can see how these women have a certain maturity level and can also easily manipulate a young boy. They are adults in positions of authority and power, not to mention it is morally wrong and wrong in every other way. I can't fathom an attraction/affair of any type to/with a teenager when you're her age or older. Maybe some people are so insecure that it gives them a huge ego trip to think a boy is attracted to them, I don't know.I guess they can just live in denial of the reality of the situation. Not to mention that this woman is also a mother.

I have to wonder what in their childhoods and/or adult lives makes them behave in this way, if anything. Not as an excuse for their behavior but I think it would be an interesting subject to study.
[/B]

well... if one's attraction to either a male or a female is based on biological factors... nature rather than nurture... couldn't you also make the connection that the attraction that some have for children/teenagers also be biological?

and if we can prove this, can't we use this to lock these fuckers up for longer periods of time?

Well I guess some people say pedophiles have a 'biological" attraction to children and thus "can't control themselves" in some way..so that would support getting them psychological help rather than locking them up, wouldn't it?

Are these women pedophiles? What is the strict, definitive definition of pedophilia?

I would say, a sixteen year old boy isn't a child anymore, and so it isn't some pedophelia.
I couldn't imagine loving a woman how is 15 years older, but such things happen.

I agree, it was wrong what she did. She as a teacher and a mother should control her feelings and don't do such things, especially with minors.
But on the other hand, he as a sixteen year old is nearly grown up and he knows what he does.

Yes, he isn't an adult, but also he isn't a child.
It wasn't right of her having sex with a teenager.
I don't know why a 31 year old woman can be fascinated by a 16 year old.
But I wouldn't say that is pedophelia. With 16 years he should be old enough to make up his own mind, and as he said he wasn't forced to that but wanted it himself.

What doesn't make any sense is that she is getting in trouble for sending him naked emails of herself not having sex. Seems like the law is a little ass backwards there. You can have sex at 16 consentually, but you can't receive nakes photos??? Are you supposed to close your eyes while you're having sex until you're 18?? Even money says all of this kid's friends are high fiving him about this.

does a moral standpoint alter all that drastically in the space of a day between someone's birthday and the day before? I mean when we consider whether the legal age cut off really alters that much. In ordinary language, is having sex with a 17 year old any different to a 16 year old?

I can't answer your question AngelaHarlem, but it's along the lines of why is 21 the legal age to limit? Why is 18 the voting age? Does a person who is 20 years and 364 days not know how to drink properly? I can think of oceans of far older people who don't meet that criteria. Does a person who is 17 years and 364 days old not know anything about the candidates running for office? Again, I can think of tons of older people who are also poorly informed about politics.

In other words, at some point, 17 or 18 or etc. was set as the "legal age of consent". Anyone under is considered a minor.

Is this pedophilia? I'd be hard-pressed to say it is. A pedophile usually stalks young children, those who are not sexually mature. And it happens again and again. In this case, this was a sexually mature boy. And at 16, some teens can look MUCH older than their age. He could have been built like a 21 year old for all we know. Or perhaps the attraction grew from her loneliness of her strained marriage and the bond the teacher/student shared. She liked his attention, he felt she was attractive and, well...

I don't agree with her actions - if this attraction was real, she should have waited longer to act on it. And if I were his parent, I'd take similar actions. After all, even if he looked 21, the fact is, he's 16. How much does he really know about sex, disease, pregnancy, etc.? Does he now feel used? Does he feel cheated? His first sexual encounter was with a woman cheating on her husband! What does this teach him? But... I can understand how this attraction started. Sadly, this teacher was not mature enough to make the right decision.

What's the difference between a 16 year old and a 15 year old? Between a 15 year old and a 14 year old? A 14 year old and a 13 year old? A 13 year old and a 12 year old? And women mature sexually earlier than men. So does a 12 year old girl qualify as an adult?

"I couldn't help myself."

You know who else uses the same justification as pedophiliacs?

Rapists.

EDIT -- I also find the double-standard here interesting. Can you imagine the conversation we'd be having if it were a male teacher sending naked pictures of himself to a female student?

doctorwho, I was speaking hypothetically, highlighting the error in this acceptance as nathan1977 hinted at above. setting a drinking age is somewhat a different matter to passing a law which allows sex at any give age. im not really interested in discussing the pros and cons of drinking ages as it is irrelevant to this situation.

i believe there is this hazy period where sex between whatever age group becomes acceptable. i question it for a 16 year old. a 17 year old. sometimes 18 year olds. as age increases, it depends on the invididual. as developed as this boy is, and as legal as it might be, there is no denying the moral questions this raises. im not going to touch the paedophilia angle either. maybe it is, maybe not. like the legal aspect, i'm not going there. strip this down to what it is. a 31 year old married mother and teacher has sex with a 16 year old student. is that right? yes or no? you'd hope no one would ever say yes, but unfortunately it happens. so some out there think it is just fine.

^

Some people think murder's just fine too. Sooner or later, for better or worse, you devise laws to protect the general population from such people...

A sixteen-year-old is not a child. Granted, he's not a "mature", legal adult but he's capable of making his own decisions.

Vincent Vega said:
Yes, he isn't an adult, but also he isn't a child.
It wasn't right of her having sex with a teenager.
I don't know why a 31 year old woman can be fascinated by a 16 year old.
But I wouldn't say that is pedophelia. With 16 years he should be old enough to make up his own mind, and as he said he wasn't forced to that but wanted it himself.

Much as I hate getting involved in this sort of topic, which inevitably ends in a bar room brawl: I have to stick my oar in and agree with what you wrote there, Vincent.

Anyway. Correct me if I am wrong, but in this definition, 'paedophilia' refers to sex with someone under the age of consent. That definition, it's okay to have sex with someone immediately after they come of age, but not immediately before.

Before anyone jumps on me with hobnailed boots, YES, I KNOW it's not as cut and dry as all that. I'm on about legalities.

The age of consent still varies from state to state, right? I know it used to be 18 in WI and 17 in IL, when I lived there. Well, in the UK, the nationwide age of consent is 16. So, technically speaking, a consenting adult in the UK is a minor in Wisconsin and Illinois (for example), and their lover is therefore a paedophile. Or a 'statuatory rapist'.

I know that's a simplistic way of putting it, but that's what the 'age of consent' seems to concede.

verte76 said:
A sixteen-year-old is not a child. Granted, he's not a "mature", legal adult but he's capable of making his own decisions.

Depends on the 16 year old in question. In general, though, agreed.

Last edited:
Having said all that, I just found this:

Other Legislation: The "abuse of trust" was also introduced with this act. This means that if someone is in a position of trust towards a person aged between 16 and 18, for instance a teacher, they are not allowed to have a sexual relationship with the younger party. http://www.gayyouthuk.org.uk/info/the_law.phtml

I am certainly not arging about abuse of trust being wrong, and there's no way I would condone adults exploiting any young person. Teens do need protecting.

i'm just sayng that the whole age o consrent issue is a huge can of worms, in general. (Stating the obvious, really.)

Last edited:
A 16 year old is not an adult. The 31 year old should know better, attraction or no attraction, ESPECIALLY a teacher being involved with a student. The teacher seems obviously immature. A 16 year old boy can't make adult decisions for himself, at this age he is thinking with the wrong head. Hate to say it! they were both wrong, and I feel both should be reprimanded.

Back
Top Bottom