"She had vomit dribbling down her face" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Yeah. I would hope at least ONE of them has both a conscience AND the balls to stand up against the pressure and come forward.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
And Irvine, you cannot be serious.

i'm not.

i had taken Martha's point as an ironic one -- but perhaps i misunderstood.

will keep quite for a bit to see how this develops.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #18
She's the One

Quote:
I only questioned Martha further because I know from her years on here that she is not a buyer of women having to alter themselves to accommodate the weak-willed man. Unless I am mistaken on ... that or
You are not mistaken. However, caution can serve a person well in every aspect of life. When I'm traveling alone, as is most often the case, I don't go near large groups of men, I don't announce my solitude, and I certainly don't go into a bar and drink myself silly. It's not accomodating weak-willed men, it's a survival mechanism. Being unwilling to accomodate weak men is completely difdferent from paying attention to what's going on around you. It's the same reason I don't drink at concerts: you never know what or who can happen to you.

Quote:
whatever she did is irrelevant. What they did is criminal. Misdemeanour, my arse.
I absolutely agree.

It will be interesting to watch the facts come out in this case. We certainly don't know all of them.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
YIt will be interesting to watch the facts come out in this case. We certainly don't know all of them.

i certainly agree here.

something doesn't quite feel right here. this seems quite extreme to me -- a passed out woman with someone else's vomit in/near her mouth and a group of boys sexually assaulting her -- so it wouldn't suprise me if the details complicate the situation quite a bit.

as reported in the article, it's horrifying. i agree with Martha's survival instincts, but i'd also like to think that a girl should be able to drink as much as she wants at a party and not have a group of guys assult her.

but then, i'd like to think that i should be able to walk home alone at night totally drunk and not get mugged. but i always take a taxi.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I hope we will not learn that these girls made up the story and there really was no rescue.

If you google the schools name under news
there are some more developments.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Thanks, Martha. I re-read your post (I confess!) 4 times trying to get different angles on it, and it kept getting me because I thought I knew what your views were. Turns out it was just as I thought. So in theory we both believe that it shouldn't matter if it's a room full of young men or a room full of west African Wildebeest. Women should be safe anywhere. Unfortunately we all know that is not the case. I'm sure this girl didn't spend one second weighing up the risks by drinking on until she was in such a state, having been lulled into the sense of safety we tend to feel in familiar situations and/or with familiar people.

As for the parents, again, all we can do is speculate for lack of facts. It's only too common for this type of thing to be part of the upward deviance cycle, and the home life of a rapist tends to frequently be a product of another continual cycle of inbred lack of morals, support, respect, etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but i'd also like to think that a girl should be able to drink as much as she wants at a party and not have a group of guys assult her.
Agreed.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know how this isn't assault. You can't consent to anything if you're unconscious.

Beyond that, it's disgusting. What's more disgusting is that there was a crowd (of 8?) other guys implicitly approving of what is going on. I cannot fathom my brother would EVER partake in something like this...or for that matter, any of the men I'm friends with. I hope, at least.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
That's a scary story indeed, and there is no excuse for the men involved.
But nevertheless I think sometimes men get spoken about as a dangerous species you can't trust for a second. I've been to many parties where the girls got drunk (but never unconscious) and it was perfectly safe for all.
It's for both men and women a good advice to never drink until you are unconscious, but it should also be seen that only because it's a group of men there isn't necessarily a danger.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #25
Refugee

I'm wondering if the victim hadn't been slipped a Roofie. Can they check for that stuff in the hospital? And someone else's vomit in her mouth? Aside from being disgusting, sounds to me like she was set up. God knows what would have happened to her if those three brave ladies hadn't rescued her.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:55 PM
I'd suspect a roofie also, though I confess I've seen people drunk to unconsciousness at parties.

I think this is pretty disgusting. The vomit part just puts it over the top...so basically the guy(s) were so bombed that one of them threw up on her. Nice.

On the bright side, at least the supporters of Colin Finnerty et al will have a new cause.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
On the bright side, at least the supporters of Colin Finnerty et al will have a new cause.

that's not really fair, is it?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

that's not really fair, is it?
It's not if you really think those guys were 100% innocent (I don't). Also most of the pro-Duke crowd decried the rush to judgement in that case, so I'd expect them to defend these guys unitl/unless they're ever convicted of anything.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

It's not if you really think those guys were 100% innocent (I don't). Also most of the pro-Duke crowd decried the rush to judgement in that case, so I'd expect them to defend these guys unitl/unless they're ever convicted of anything.

the case was thrown out, so, legally, they are 100% innocent.

i'd also totally disagree with your assessment -- it was the pro-accuser crowd who rushed to judgement about the Duke players, not least of which was one DA Mike Nifong, and, say, Al Sharpton and much of the media. i don't think a waiting until the facts come out attitude is indicative of "defending" the guys in this case, nor in the Duke case.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

it was the pro-accuser crowd who rushed to judgement about the Duke players, not least of which was one DA Mike Nifong, and, say, Al Sharpton and much of the media. i don't think a waiting until the facts come out attitude is indicative of "defending" the guys in this case, nor in the Duke case.
But here we are discussing these guys as if they're guilty of planning to gang-rape a passed-out drunk girl. Everyone criticized the rush to judgement re: Duke, but here we (most of us) are doing it again re: these baseball players. I'd expect people to be calling for restraint, especially those most critical of the media, Sharpton, Nifong etc in the Duke case.

I think it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be if no charges are ever filed. Probably minimal, since unlike in Durham there isn't the race angle for the media to play on.