Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mississippi) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mississippi)

It seems to me that this incident could create an awkward dilemma for the "political correctness" forces. An interesting article by Michelle Malkin

Here's the link and the article:

A terrible racial incident took place at Trent Lott's alma mater last month. But you won't hear about it from Dan Rather or Time magazine or The Washington Post or the NAACP.

That's because what happened at the University of Mississippi in the early morning hours of Nov. 6 has all the markings of a fake hate crime: An apparent racial hoax committed by black students against black students, but blamed on whites -- until the suspects were nabbed last week.

Three black freshmen were accused by the college of scrawling racist graffiti on the doors of two other black students in the Kincannon residence hall on the Oxford campus. Among the hateful epithets: "F-----g N----r" and "F-----g Hoe N----r." Also left on walls and doors spanning three floors of the dorm: A tree with a noose and hanging stick figure and vulgar references to genitalia drawn in blue window chalk.

The financial damage was estimated at roughly $600. But the cultural and psychological damage caused by such crude and twisted acts of Tawana Brawleyism is inestimable. The element of racial animus cloaks the hate crime hoax with a false sense of legitimacy. It's a manipulative attempt to exploit old tensions and deflect suspicion from the actual perpetrators.

At the time the racist vandalism appeared, Ole Miss was commemorating the 40th anniversary of desegregation of its classrooms. Local and national observers immediately assumed the vandals were white.

Black students organized a "Say No to Racism" march and demanded more protection against white-on-black harassment. They blasted the school's president for not apologizing quickly enough for the racial slurs. The school's "Minority Affairs" director demanded that the university establish "programs and procedures" to ensure racial sensitivity and prevent hate crimes. The "Institute for Racial Reconciliation" and the "Committee On Sensitivity and Respect" convened meetings. Activists called for criminally prosecuting the perpetrators under state felony laws or federal hate crime statutes.

But now that the race of the suspects has been revealed, some are seeking to minimize the crime as a "prank." The college will not be bringing criminal charges against the trio. Instead, each suspect faces charges involving five violations of the student code of conduct -- not only for the racially explosive vandalism, but also for allegedly making false and misleading statements to investigators.

That's right. It wasn't enough for these accused sickos to adopt racial terror tactics, destroy property, cast false suspicion on others, and cast doubt on all bona fide victims of such perfidy. They apparently tried to lie their way out of it, too.

The Daily Mississippian student newspaper noted that an "irritated Chancellor Robert Khayat said the entire situation was 'regrettable,' but it taught the university community that no members 'should engage in abusive behavior' and 'before we jump to conclusions and start condemning groups of people, we should know what happened.'"

All well and good, but why allow a double standard of justice to prevail? If the attackers had been white, they faced possible federal prison time. Because the suspects are black, the most serious consequence they face is expulsion. Welcome to equal treatment under the law, 2002-style.

Where is the uproar over the hoaxers' callous use of lynching imagery and flagrant exploitation of the N-word -- at Ole Miss of all places? And where is the national press on this matter? Fake hate crimes are an abhorrently common phenomenon on modern college campuses, where race-consciousness reigns in such a poisonous way that it would make integrationists weep. "Students of color" are herded into separate dorms, separate departments, and separate graduation ceremonies.

Segregation is back all right. But while the media elite's crack reporters are busy rummaging through the dustbins of old history in an effort to paint all conservatives as racially insensitive relics, they continue to ignore one of the outrageous race scandals of the 21st century: how the young beneficiaries of the civil rights movement are squandering and desecrating its legacy of equal respect and justice for all.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 PM

Old 01-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So does the fact that the perpetrators were black no longer make it a "hate crime"?
Old 01-09-2003, 10:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Speedracer:

It is not expected to be pursued as a "hate crime" since it was African American students who did it as a "prank" in violation of the student code of conduct (much lesser charge than state civil rights or federal hate crime statutes).

~U2Alabama
Old 01-09-2003, 11:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

But it had the exact same consequences (up until the perpetrators were caught) as it would have had a bunch of whites done it, and the perpetrators knew this beforehand. On top of that, the primary reason for the prank was to make white people look like bigots.

Why shouldn't they suffer *worse* consequences?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Excellent post speedracer!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 PM

we need to implement/ legislate "hoax-crimes"..
thank u-

bitchfaces

bruno.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
New Yorker

Re: Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mississippi)

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Where is the uproar over the hoaxers' callous use of lynching imagery and flagrant exploitation of the N-word -- at Ole Miss of all places? And where is the national press on this matter?

I think the above quote in particular is laughable. The author's sarcasm makes it laughable. Of course, what else would one expect from townhall.com?
Old 01-10-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Another chapter in our history of racial politics. From the speech police to the selective use of hate crime legislation, I am afraid that true equality is not the goal.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
I don't like the term 'hate crime.' ALL crimes are hate crimes, you don't usually commit crimes against someone you like. Labeling some as 'hate' crimes devalues the victims of crimes committed by someone to another person of the same demographic group if calling it a 'hate' crime bring stiffer penalities.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mississipp

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

I think the above quote in particular is laughable. The author's sarcasm makes it laughable. Of course, what else would one expect from townhall.com?
What do you find "laughable" about it? Is it another example of "silliness"?

~U2Alabama
Old 01-11-2003, 12:53 AM   #12
New Yorker

Re: Re: Re: Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Missis

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

What do you find "laughable" about it? Is it another example of "silliness"?

~U2Alabama
I find the quote laughable because it's so absurd. Here's the quote:

"Where is the uproar over the hoaxers' callous use of lynching imagery and flagrant exploitation of the N-word -- at Ole Miss of all places? And where is the national press on this matter?"

First of all, the author of the editorial, Michelle Malkin, as evidenced by her picture, has no idea what it's like to walk in the shoes of the average black person for even one day. Neither do I. Neither do most of the people reading townhall.com, I suspect.

In light of that fact, her flippant use of the term "lynching" -- a crime perpetrated on black persons up to and including the early part of the last century -- to make her political point borders on being offensive.

Lynchings are part of the Black American historical experience. If you haven't walked in the shoes of the average black person and you're making a sarcastic statment that includes a reference to "lynching imagery," well, shut up.

Second of all, the quote is laughable because it -- and the entire editorial -- is clearly designed for the sole purpose of justifying the agenda of the good folks at townhall.com, a right wing conservative publication.

From the editorial:

"Segregation is back all right. But while the media elite's crack reporters are busy rummaging through the dustbins of old history in an effort to paint all conservatives as racially insensitive relics, they continue to ignore one of the outrageous race scandals of the 21st century: how the young beneficiaries of the civil rights movement are squandering and desecrating its legacy of equal respect and justice for all."

"The dustbins of old history?" Is this a reference to the Trent Lott embarrassment? Yeah, she's right, all that old history should be forgotten. Sure, black Americans weren't allowed to sit with white folk in diners 50 years ago in some parts of the U.S., and Ole Miss desegregated its classrooms 40 years ago, but hell, that was all a long time ago, ya know?

And I'm so convinced that editorial staff at townhall.com is truly concerned about how "the young beneficiaries of the civil rights movement are squandering and desecrating its legacy of equal respect and justice for all."
Uh-huh. yeah.

The townhall.com editorial -- and let's be clear that it's an editorial, not a news article -- is a whiny attempt by a far-right publication to downplay the extent of non-black on black racism existing in the United States today. It's essentially a "feel good" article for disciples of Rush Limbaugh.

And, yes, the editorial is another example of "silliness," too.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 PM
I think you've shot the messanger to obscure the message of hypocracy....
Old 01-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #14
New Yorker

Eh, I'd disagree, nb. I think the messenger, Michelle Malkin, makes a specious argument.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mi

Just a few responses:

Quote:

First of all, the author of the editorial, Michelle Malkin, as evidenced by her picture, has no idea what it's like to walk in the shoes of the average black person for even one day. Neither do I. Neither do most of the people reading townhall.com, I suspect.
You're right; she has no idea what it's like to walk in the shoes of the average black person. I don't know if it counts for anything, but she does know what it's like to walk in the shoes of a Filipino-American person, as she is the daughter of immigrants from the Phillipines.

Quote:
In light of that fact, her flippant use of the term "lynching" -- a crime perpetrated on black persons up to and including the early part of the last century -- to make her political point borders on being offensive.

Lynchings are part of the Black American historical experience. If you haven't walked in the shoes of the average black person and you're making a sarcastic statment that includes a reference to "lynching imagery," well, shut up.
You may want to re-visit the article and pay attention to the details: the "pranksters" at Ole Miss were the ones who introduced the lynching imagery as evidenced by the following text:

Also left on walls and doors spanning three floors of the dorm: A tree with a noose and hanging stick figure...

Malkin was merely emphasizing the inappropriate nature of "lynching imagery" in what has come to be considered a "prank."

Quote:
Second of all, the quote is laughable because it -- and the entire editorial -- is clearly designed for the sole purpose of justifying the agenda of the good folks at townhall.com, a right wing conservative publication.

From the editorial:

"Segregation is back all right. But while the media elite's crack reporters are busy rummaging through the dustbins of old history in an effort to paint all conservatives as racially insensitive relics, they continue to ignore one of the outrageous race scandals of the 21st century: how the young beneficiaries of the civil rights movement are squandering and desecrating its legacy of equal respect and justice for all."

"The dustbins of old history?" Is this a reference to the Trent Lott embarrassment? Yeah, she's right, all that old history should be forgotten. Sure, black Americans weren't allowed to sit with white folk in diners 50 years ago in some parts of the U.S., and Ole Miss desegregated its classrooms 40 years ago, but hell, that was all a long time ago, ya know?

And I'm so convinced that editorial staff at townhall.com is truly concerned about how "the young beneficiaries of the civil rights movement are squandering and desecrating its legacy of equal respect and justice for all."
Uh-huh. yeah.

The townhall.com editorial -- and let's be clear that it's an editorial, not a news article -- is a whiny attempt by a far-right publication to downplay the extent of non-black on black racism existing in the United States today. It's essentially a "feel good" article for disciples of Rush Limbaugh.

And, yes, the editorial is another example of "silliness," too.
Well, this is your opinion/commentary, and I can see your point, truthfully. But I suspect that you are one who appreciates the double standards that "political correctness" allows. I do not. I think it is a joke and I think it will harm the very purpose it was to serve. It creates much more division than it fosters diversity. And when it is empowered by legislation, either from ivory towers or government buildings, such division becmoes exponential.

~U2Alabama