Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University of Mississippi) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-12-2003, 07:29 PM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Share Your Thoughts On The "Hate Crime Hoax At Ole Miss" (University o

Originally posted by U2Bama
You're right; she has no idea what it's like to walk in the shoes of the average black person. I don't know if it counts for anything, but she does know what it's like to walk in the shoes of a Filipino-American person, as she is the daughter of immigrants from the Phillipines.
Fair enough. I'm just sayin', I've heard the stories from more than one African American about how they are regarded by white folk on a daily basis, e.g., white women tuck their purses away when they see a black man coming, etc. I think most of us have heard these stories.

Coincidentally, a discussion about the black American experience was taking place a couple days ago on another board I visit and a few black folks were talking about the unusual (and frankly bizzare) treatment they get from non-black folk. These stories and others I've heard like them...... *sigh*..they just bum me out.

You may want to re-visit the article and pay attention to the details: the "pranksters" at Ole Miss were the ones who introduced the lynching imagery as evidenced by the following text:

Also left on walls and doors spanning three floors of the dorm: A tree with a noose and hanging stick figure...

Malkin was merely emphasizing the inappropriate nature of "lynching imagery" in what has come to be considered a "prank."
I understand. I'm just saying her tone was sarcastic when she was relaying the facts of the story. If she hadn't been sarcastic, her meaning would have been different. I probably wouldn't have found it offensive.

Well, this is your opinion/commentary, and I can see your point, truthfully. But I suspect that you are one who appreciates the
double standards that "political correctness" allows.
Eh, there are certain aspects of political correctness I could do without. Mainly, that it can be confusing at times.

For instance, several months ago on this board I used the word "Indian" in reference to Native Americans, and an Interferencer reproved me, busted my chops, told me what an idiot I was, etc.

The fact is, at the reservation I visited, the Indians there used the term "Indian" to refer to others of their community. They also less frequently used the term "Native American."

I also use the term "Black" much more often than "African American" because some black friends of mine told me they find the term "African American" annoying. On the other hand, there are black people who prefer the term "African American" to "black." So yes, it can be confusing.

Some types of "political correctness" are appropriate. In some instances, when I'm being "politically correct," I am making a conscious effort to be sensitive to the way others have been treated unfairly. I want to treat them just as I like to be treated.

For example, the black guy on the other board said that one thing that he finds peculiar is that white (and probably other non-black) people laugh at any joke he makes, no matter how lame it is.

*grabs comment from other board*

Actually, here's what he said (note his facetiousness):

Advantages [of being black in America]:

Each time I open my mouth, everything I say is considered cool and interesting. Even when I crack the lamest joke, it's still considered funny

I can walk down a scary neighborhood and be scared stiff in my pants, but because I'm black, I don't get messed with

I can bust out the lame, whack dance moves at a party and still have people cheering me on

----------------------------------------------------------------- "

Of course he's being humorous, but he's also being truthful. That's just a sampling of many odd things that were mentioned in that discussion by black folks with respect to how they are treated differently.

I'm supposing there is sort of a minstrel-effect involved in that "all jokes told by black people are funny" dynamic. I dunno, but it's something to think about.

As far as the "double standards" that political correctness allows, well, with respect to the Ole Miss incident, that's another discussion. (Notice I didn't even broach the issue of what actually occured at Ole Miss and whether the punishment or lack thereof was appropriate. I simply commented that I was annoyed with the way framed the discussion of what occured at Ole Miss.)

Originally posted by U2Bama
I do not [appreciate the double standards that "political correctness" allows]. I think it is a joke and I think it will harm the very purpose it was to serve. It creates much more division than it fosters diversity. And when it is empowered by legislation, either from ivory towers or government buildings, such division becmoes exponential.
This is a whole other (huge) discussion. I'll save it for another time.