Sexual Discrimination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
MALE MPs in the NSW Parliament are seething over a decision to stop them from attending the International Women's Day celebrations on the lawns of Government House.

On the eve of the second annual awards ceremony, MPs received an email from the Office for Women stating that male MPs were not invited because of "the size of the venue", but male ministers - all Labor - were welcome.

Deputy Liberal leader Barry O'Farrell spoke for many MPs when he described the ban as "a nonsense".

Mr O'Farrell said if the Office of Women had wanted male MPs at the March 8 function it could have arranged it "simply and easily".

"But it did not want us there," the MP for Ku-ring-gai told Parliament.

He said the excuse that the venue wasn't large enough was "a whopper, a fib and an untruth", saying that a few years ago he had been to a reception for the Queen on the lawns of Government House attended by 400 guests.

"It is clear to most of us that unless one was a male minister, blokes were unwelcome."

Mr O'Farrell, who nominated a local constituent, Judy Macourt, for the NSW Woman of the Year Award, said: "I think it is downright rude to nominees to deny them the chance of being accompanied by their nominators if they desire to."

He said the arrangements were insulting and "inappropriate for a taxpayer-funded agency to apply".
link

I wonder if male MPs could hold a function and not let women in

I'm so sick of whiny-ass men crying because the girls won't let them play. wah wah wah :rolleyes:

Welcome to our fucking world, boys. Thousands of years of male bullshit, and we want to have something that's about us, then it's boo-fucking-hoo, they won't let us in.

So what. Sit this one out.

So the Y chromosome gives inherent burden of guilt for misogny through the ages - thats nice. Also very good to see that it can justify clear cut cases of sexual discrimination with this.

Yeah, sign me up for eyebrow plucking, breast exams, visits to the gynecologist, hot flashes, childbirth, shaving legs and elsewhere, all kinds of hormonal fluctuations, backbreaking footwear, overpriced haircuts and clothes, etc.. No thanks, if women want a women only event, go ahead, they've earned it.

Methinks this is muchadoaboutnothing. Martha is correct. Besides, there are soooo many more important issues to debate than something this insignificant.

A_Wanderer said:
So the Y chromosome gives inherent burden of guilt for misogny through the ages - thats nice. Also very good to see that it can justify clear cut cases of sexual discrimination with this.

:sad:

Here's question for you: How long has spousal rape been a crime in your country?

I don't have the time to trawl though legalese to cite first source, I did find that the law has shifted over the last 25 years from treating offence of rape under sexual assault laws. Rape is a crime, if it occurs in marriage it is still a crime.

I abhor violence against women and non-consensual sex is a gross violation of rights.

Misandry is in principle just as wrong as misogyny. Regardless of sex we are individuals with inalienable rights. The idea of justifying reverse discrimination on the basis of a biased set of legal and societal values in the past both distant and recent is wrong: not equally so but still wrong.

trevster2k said:
No thanks, if women want a women only event, go ahead, they've earned it.

:)

I see nothing wrong w/ men being at an event like this-imho most men don't give a damn about International Womens Day, so if they're really there to show they genuinely care about it and not to make some sort of statement- that's great. Seems to me their time could be better spent actually working on things to make the world a better place for women.

A_Wanderer said:
the law has shifted over the last 25 years from treating offence of rape under sexual assault laws.

This is my point. 30 years ago, a woman's body was the possession of her husband, to do with as he saw fit. That's within my lifetime. I have no doubt that there are other, not quite so serious, inequalities still on the legal books of your country; I know that's true in my own.

Perhaps a more fitting protest from these men would have been to hold a news conference addressing how they're working to address these inequalities, rather than wad up their panties in a protest over nothing.

I do find it hilarious when the group with most of the power in a country manages to experience what they dish out, and then get upset over it.

martha said:
I'm so sick of whiny-ass men crying because the girls won't let them play. wah wah wah :rolleyes:

Welcome to our fucking world, boys. Thousands of years of male bullshit, and we want to have something that's about us, then it's boo-fucking-hoo, they won't let us in.

So what. Sit this one out.

Say goodbye to the moral high ground of equal rights. :|

At least you are honest about this. This isn't about "equal rights" - it is about political power. Men from one party were allowed, but those of another were banned. It is not as if one party actually cares more than the other - the party only want to make its political opponent look like they care less.

nbcrusader said:

Say goodbye to the moral high ground of equal rights. :|

:sad:

nbcrusader said:
Men from one party were allowed, but those of another were banned.

To paraphrase the beloved Janet Jackson: "What have they done for me lately?"

nbcrusader said:

It is not as if one party actually cares more than the other -
In our country, I would say that one party does give a little more of a shit about women than the other does. I don't know about Australia, but I would wager it's true there as well.

Back
Top Bottom