Sexsomnia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
So has anyone ever heard of this? I haven't, and it does seem like a convenient after the fact excuse to me. I suppose this might trigger this being used as a defense by several child molesters..

Sexsomnia gets the nod for kid-fondling excuse
By Jessica Heslam, Boston Herald
Sunday, May 22, 2005

Falling asleep during sex is almost unheard of, but initiating sex and doing it while you're sleeping?

It's sexsomnia, a rare sleeping disorder where a person - usually a man - engages in sexual activity while snoozing, physicians say.

Booze and excessive fatigue can trigger it and most don't recall their behavior in the morning.

A Bay State man who admitted to assaulting two girls in court this week claims he's got ``sexsomnia'' and was fast asleep when he touched them. Two sexsomnia experts believe the man, 34-year-old Richard Anderson. The mother of the two girls he fondled also believes him.

``This guy's not a sex fiend. This is a real medical condition. This happens while he's asleep,'' said Dr. Joseph Walek, who has treated Anderson and is the executive director of the sleep laboratory at Lowell General Hospital.

Anderson, the girls and their mother also reached out to another expert, Dr. Michael Mangan in New Hampshire.

Mangan said he reported no recollection of his behavior and had been drinking when both incidents took place. He's also been diagnosed with chronic snoring and REM behavior disorder.

``I believe he's telling the truth. I don't think he's an opportunist or sex offender,'' Mangan said.

Not everyone buys it.

`This would have been an unusual defense and one we have not seen before. However, we think the guilty plea speaks for itself,'' said a spokeswoman for the Middlesex district attorney's office.

Well..... a friend of mine was caught by a few of us once, umm, 'loving' himself while he was well and truly fast asleep....

Very funny.

It's one thing to joke about it when it involves consenting adults-well consenting as far as people involved in a relationship. Obviously you can't consent when you're asleep.

But I'm assuming this guy didn't sleep in the same bed w/ his girlfriend's daughters-so he walked while asleep into their room (s) and did this unknowingly? :eyebrow:

I've heard enough stories about sleeping disorders to be able to approach this with an open mind. Best of luck to the legislators who'll have to juggle this between rapists who'll use this as a defense, and people who want to hang all sex-offenders on the highest tree and don't ever want to hear about any mitigating circumstances.

I heard something about a case in Australia where a man's wife was disappearing in the night... He didn't know what was going on, so after some investigation (the details of which I do not know), as it turns out... well, she would fall asleep, and then get up in the night as if awake, leave the home in her nighty, go walk down the street, knock on someones door as though lucid, and essentially jump on top of whatever bloke answered the door. There seemed to be method to which houses were chosen, but the subconcious mind can do many things we don't rightly understand. He brought her to court for an adultery based divorce, and I never heard what the virdict was because apparently the doctors explained what she was doing as a result of a sleeping disorder, because she didn't remember any of these events, and always woke up at home in bed as if nothing had happened... But, if indeed she didn't know what she was doing, she didn't have the mens rea to willfully commit these acts and so it wouldn't 'technically' be adultery as far as the law is concerned, as she wasn't responsible for her actions.

:shrug: your guess is as good as mine.

Good old non-insane automatism pleas :up:

Back
Top Bottom