Sexist Urinals In Vienna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
So what do the males here think, would you have any issue going to the bathroom in a urinal that is made to look like a woman's mouth? Would it make you uncomfortable?

I do think it is tasteless and misogynistic, as is often the case some people think it can be passed off as "funny". I wonder what would happen if there was something similar in a womens' bathroom, something that could be seen as demeaning to men.

300h.jpg

By Mazin Elfehaid, Associated Press Writer | October 19, 2006

VIENNA, Austria --An Austrian businessman announced Thursday that he would get rid of urinals shaped like a woman's mouth from a public toilet near Vienna's national opera, after facing pressure from politicians who demanded their removal.

The urinals, which are located in the "Opera Toilet," a lavishly decorated public restroom, feature thick, lipsticked lips, a set of teeth and a bright red tongue.

"We think that it's tasteless, misogynistic and offensive," Marianne Lackner, media spokeswoman for the Vienna Department of Women's Affairs told The Associated Press.

The department, headed by Social Democrat Sonja Wehsely, said it was appealing to the owner's good will, but was also exploring the possibility of legal action.

Monika Vana, the Green Party's spokeswoman for women's affairs, also denounced the toilets, telling the Austria Press Agency that they are "sexist and inappropriate."

"The owner thinks the idea (of the urinal) is funny," Lackner said, adding that it seemed he was not prepared for the hostile reactions.

Neuhold Gerhard, owner of the toilet's operator Neuhold Gerhard Limited, said in an interview Thursday with Austrian public radio that he would remove the urinals.

"If there is such outrage in Austria then it's not a problem," he said. "We will remove them in the next 14 days."

Gerhard added that he thought it odd that public interest has only now been focused on the urinals, as they have been around for three years.

The urinals first made a splash during recent campaigns for national elections, as they were the only facility available near Austria's National Opera.

"The thing that surprises us the most," Lackner said, "is that no man has ever said anything about this."

Yeah, those are horrible and are really the worst possible thing in the world. Sure, children are dying, politicians are stealing and thieves and murderes are running free in this world but the number 1 priority right now to get rid of are these dreadful urinals.

So, where could one purchase said urinals?

I object to them because they're ugly.

Seriously, that's just bizarre. I hesitate to wonder what the toilets are shaped like...

BrownEyedBoy said:
Yeah, those are horrible and are really the worst possible thing in the world. Sure, children are dying, politicians are stealing and thieves and murderes are running free in this world but the number 1 priority right now to get rid of are these dreadful urinals.

So, where could one purchase said urinals?

No one said it is the number one priority, so your sarcasm isn't really necessary- but I guess you enjoy it :shrug:

Yes though, as a woman I am offended by it. Eradicating sexism in all forms should be a priority in this world, but I suppose as a boy you've never had to experience it so you don't care. I guess I'm not surprised that you might want to purchase one :shrug:

Judah said:
I wouldn't want Mick's, symbolic or physical, mouth anywhere near my weenie.

agreed.

i'd be afraid it was going to take a great big bite.

i think it's funny, but tacky, and i can understand all sorts of discomfort associeted with it.

Judah :lol:

Yeah, I guess I can see where it might read as ironic and campy rather than sexy or sadistic, which could make it sort of funny. I'm not sure teasing out the possible layers of aesthetic meaning in a urinal is worth my while, though. Mostly my reaction was the same as Max's.

:scratch: I've never heard of a privately owned and managed "public" restroom before.

i find it sad that politians don't have other more important things to concern themselves with. I do find them funny but I'd probably choose not to use them.

Apparently the deluxe model 'gargles' during use.

adrball said:

Apparently the deluxe model 'gargles' during use.

They do not!

Are you making that up?

I think it's pretty tacky and gross. Like Max said the fact that one is urinating into it, pretty much does it for me.

I could see how it could be offensive.

:huh: Ooookay how's this for a twist?
McDonald's removes mouth-shaped urinals

Expatica.com, 12 July 2006

AMSTERDAM — A McDonald's fast-food outlet in the south east of the Netherlands has agreed to remove urinals that are shaped liked wide-open red lips. The decision was taken after a shocked American customer complained to the McDonald's head office in the US.

Owner Giel Pijper said on Wednesday that the bright red, mouth-shaped urinals, named 'Kisses', are works of art. But a different view is taken of them in America. The urinals are being removed and will be sold off. "I'm not going to harp on about a pair of urinals," he said.

Virgin Airways was forced to scrap plans in 2004 to install two of the 'Kisses' at New York's John F. Kennedy airport after complaints they looked like women's mouth.

They are the work of Dutch woman Meike van Schijndel. She is the designer at the Utrecht-based firm "Bathroom Mania!". Speaking to Expatica in 2004, she said the urinals were designed as a fun cartoon mouth and not as a woman's mouth. She stressed that the idea her urinals represented a man peeing into a woman's mouth never occurred to her, nor to many men and women she had spoken to. Her company was inundated with orders after the Virgin Airlines controversy, Van Schijndel said.

nathan1977 said:
I hesitate to wonder what the toilets are shaped like...
...and here in fact is her toilet design, complete with description from her company's website...

toilet.jpg

Good Morning Sunshine!
the fresh scented toilet

Brings fresh air into the smallest room! A birdy that sings with every flush and a sun that's always shining! This flowerpot needs caring, water daily and manure at least twice a week. Grows best in full sun, but also looks perfect in the shade!
:coocoo:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom