Sexism May Shorten Men's Lives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I didn't say this, but some researchers at the University of Liverpool did.

Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20050915/hl_hsn/sexismmayshortenmenslivesstudy

Sexism May Shorten Men's Lives: Study 2 hours, 32 minutes ago

THURSDAY, Sept. 15 (HealthDay News) -- In a somewhat unexpected finding, societal male dominance over women -- patriarchy -- may help explain why men have a lower life expectancy than women worldwide.

British researchers analyzed rates of female murders and male death rates from all causes in 51 countries in Europe, Asia, Australasia, and North and South America. The prevalence of violence against women was used to indicate the extent of patriarchal control in each of the countries. Socioeconomic factors were also taken into consideration.

The study found that women lived longer than men in all 51 countries. The study also found that those countries with higher rates of female murders (indicating higher levels of patriarchy) also had higher rates for male death and shorter male life expectancies, compared to countries with lower female murder rates, the researchers said.

In fact, statistical analysis showed that variations between countries in rates of violence against women accounted for close to half (49 percent) of the variation in male death rates, the researchers noted.

"Our data suggest that oppression and exploitation harm the oppressors as well as those they oppress," researchers at the University of Liverpool concluded.

They noted that the higher death rate and shorter life expectancy among men is "a preventable social condition, which can potentially be tackled through global social policy."

For example, changes can be made in the way that young males are socialized into patriarchal gender roles, such as the emphasis on risk taking, aggression and suppression of emotions, the researchers said.

The findings appear in the current issue of the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Any Comments? I tend to agree. :yes:

I think murder, aggression, and violence is only a small part of it. Overall, I think men in general have higher probablities of placing themselves in or being placed in situations with higher risks for death or negative impact on health.

I guess I don't really understand what the experiment or the article is trying to say. How does a higher probability of acting aggressively make men die sooner?

I guess needing to be in control and being aggressive leads to stress related illnesses. I mean, anger increases blood pressure, so maybe that's why violent men could die sooner

Hmm, I wonder....

some men restrain emotions,....... but........

what about some who are just detached?

I mean, I don't "repress" emotions. (I'm not making this personal. I'm sure I'm not the only guy who is this way, though). I just think more factually than emotionally, I guess.

I wonder, though, if it would be more healthy to express emotions, or if it is better to be level headed?

I woudl assume being your natural self is the best answer, but who knows......

===================

As far as the article......
one more thing women tend to do better then men.
Kind of surprising, seeing how they "get emotional" more so, and cry and what not. But that's alright with me. I've no quarrel

Last edited:
Pearl said:
I guess needing to be in control and being aggressive leads to stress related illnesses. I mean, anger increases blood pressure, so maybe that's why violent men could die sooner

I would say so, like the article points out oppressing and exploiting others takes a toll on people

Maybe men place themselves in more risky situations and engage in more risky behaviors because they're socialized to do so..that's how to "be a man". Of course these are generalizations that don't apply to all men, luckily.

nbcrusader said:
The risky behavior is saying the wrong thing when standing too close to your wife! :wink:

And don't you forget it:wink: :giggle:
Not to make light of this subject because this is very interesting. I think men are alot tougher on there bodies(in most cases)than women are so that would put them at risk. I suppose?

Carmelu2fan said:

Not to make light of this subject because this is very interesting. I think men are alot tougher on there bodies(in most cases)than women are so that would put them at risk. I suppose?

i think this is absolutely true.

the thing that gets many men to "calm down" is getting married and having kids. without these things, many men continue the lifestyle they lived in their late teens and 20's into their 30s and 40s. also, while it appears as if more women suffer from depression, this probably isn't true -- male depression usually manifests itself in anti-social, self-destructive behavior like drinking and drugs as opposed to women who exhibit the more recognized symptoms of depression. i also think men are less likely to visit the doctor on a regular basis than women, and are less likely to pay attention to their diet. finally, single men are less likely to have strong social support systems in the way that women, no matter their age or marital status, are able to maintain. many elderly women are able to function rather well after the loss of a spouse because they have created and maintained heathy friendships throughout their lives; men, on the other hand, tend to have the friends their wives make for them as a couple, and tend to lose contact once the wife is gone.

Thank you Irvine. I used to wonder about that , because of my favorite Uncle who has never married. He has had the worst health out of all the 40- 50 yr old men in our family and I remember him saying "I don't have a lady to take care of me".:hmm: Do you suppose that athletes shorten there lives with the physical demands of football,soccer,etc?

Last edited:
Carmelu2fan said:
Do you suppose that athletes shorten there lives with the physical demands of football,soccer,etc?

nothing will lengthen your life more than diet and exercise, so while the physical demands of some sports might shorten the lifespan of your joints, it's still good for your heart and lungs.

however, i will say that many former jocks continue to eat in volumes that they might have once been able to, but now they aren't burning an extra 1,000 calories working out every day. heck, i was only a college-leve athlete but i gained 35 lbs when i stopped swimming. also, it's really no secret that booze and sports go hand-in-hand, and i think there are many former jocks who become if not outright alcoholics certainly problem drinkers in their later years.

Irvine511 said:
also, it's really no secret that booze and sports go hand-in-hand, and i think there are many former jocks who become if not outright alcoholics certainly problem drinkers in their later years.

My dad used to drink when he was in his early 20s, and he did play sports in high school (would've gone on to do so in college, but a severe ankle injury in high school stopped that).

He doesn't even touch a beer now, though (although after his heart problems, his doctor actually recommended he should drink a beer a day). It's a bit of a miracle that my dad still is here, actually. He's had so much abuse to his body over the years related to sports and other various things.

But I'd be interested to know if you would indeed be right about most former jocks being drinkers to this day. And I definitely agree that part of the reason for men not living as long has something to do with some of the activities they engage in. It's amazing some of the stupid things I see guys do sometimes...

Angela

Irvine511 said:
getting married and having kids. without these things, many men continue the lifestyle they lived in their late teens and 20's into their 30s and 40s. also, while it appears as if more women suffer from depression, this probably isn't true -- male depression usually manifests itself in anti-social, self-destructive behavior like drinking and drugs as opposed to women who exhibit the more recognized symptoms of depression. i also think men are less likely to visit the doctor on a regular basis than women, and are less likely to pay attention to their diet.

yes we need a woman´s passion just to survive the natural disaster we are - lets not talk about how old we get, let´s just be happy some of us .. yeah

not that getting married and having kids would calm me down - absolutely not. that´s just where the trouble starts ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom