Sex Ed Raises Eyebrows - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Right, me too back then.

So my point is that since we know the barriers and reactions, why can't we address that head on as part of the learning?

Saying they aren't mature enough doesn't give kids the credit they deserve. We often underestimate them.
We have trouble getting high school graduates understanding how to calculate 15% of a number.

How can we get a 5th grade boy to stop giggling when the word "breast" is mentioned?

The question you pose is a good one - I think it would have to start at earlier ages (and, if it was not obvious enough, in the home).

Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:42 AM
I think it's because there is limited time and limited resources.

we had one nurse for the entire district and she went to each school for a few hours a year for that purpose. That means each student got about 40 minutes of sex ed talk so just enough time to cover the basics.

If that's all the time you have then there isn't room for getting the giggles and nerves out.

I'm not saying it's a good system but there isn't enough time in the day for teachers to effectively address the things kids need to learn for state testing let alone sex ed.

Something is better than nothing in my opinion. If I hadn't had those 40 minutes I wouldn't have known what the hell was happening to me.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

when i was in 5th grade we were seperated and talked to only about puberty. In sixth grade boys and girls were together and information about sex was included. You would think that sixth graders would not be mature enough to handle it, but you would be surprised. Things went pretty well actually, even though I was in the most rambunctious class, and many people asked questions. To solve the problem of being embarrassed by asking questions we had a question box were you could write your question anonymously and the teacher would read them after class...or you could always talk to the teacher after class.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with showing this to boys.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
How can we get a 5th grade boy to stop giggling when the word "breast" is mentioned?
I've never taught kids in school, only on the ski hill, so I don't really know, but my intuitive side says you don't stop them. Humour can be very useful and engaging in a given situation as much as it can be disruptive.

They're going to go into the class already riled up as it is so you might as well let them expel all the nervous energy right up front. It can even be incorporated into a game or something that gets them engaged in an open conversation where it's ok to laugh and be silly about it initially.

I often facilitate sexual harassment training in companies and I'll venture to guess there isn't much maturity difference on these sensitive topics between 10 year old boys and girls and 25-50 year old adults lol.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:42 AM
5th graders laugh at sex only because their parents deem it dirty and taboo at a young age. Then, all of a sudden when you thrust a whole bunch of "dirty concepts" at them, the laughter starts, because it's such a foreign concept to them. Of course, I think this is going to happen no matter how old you are when you're first allowed to start discussing genitals.

As for the outrage over boys learning about femaleness, we're still not that far removed from the generation where the start of menstruation was called the start of "the curse." Men didn't want to hear about such a sinful thing. After all, women bleed down there, because of the sin of Eve, right?

Really, this is more about co-ed sex ed. It's about generations of subconscious cultural baggage coming to a head.

Melon
Old 02-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
boys should know nothing about how the female anatomy works. it's better to remain ignorant.

You're joking, right?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #38
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i remember when i was in 5th and 6th grade in 1988-1990 the teacher saying that they used to divide up the genders for sex ed -- the boys would go with the male teacher and talk about taking showers and using deodorant on a regular basis and some talk about nocturnal emissions, and the girls would go with the school nurse and get books and pamphlets, and then at recess the boys would chace after the girls and try to steal the books.
Yup, and that's exactly the sex ed we got in Mississippi in 1981. With the boys' session underwitten by Mennen, and the girls' session underwritten by Playtex. And no overlap at all between the two "curricula." The boys didn't have to chase after the menstruation pamphlets, though--the girls gave them to them as a joke. And got leaflets about semen and nocturnal emissions in return. It wasn't just the boys who found the whole thing hysterically giggle-inducing--it's simply untrue that girls this age are any more naturally inclined to feel comfortable discussing the opposite sex's bodies, IMO. With or without said opposites being around.

I suppose I can see the point that boys/men don't really need to know the intricacies of how a tampon works, nor do girls/women really need to know the details of nocturnal emissions. On the other hand, the article posted suggests the *parents* were way more upset than the kids themselves were about all this. And it sounds like this program is considerably more comprehensive and well thought through than one 40-minute ask-the-nurse session.

I agree with AliEnvy that the trigger-giggle factor can most likely be overcome with time, but I'm also sympathetic to redkat's point that some kids might feel too embarrassed to ask questions they really want to ask in a mixed-sex group. Perhaps a compromise solution could be to have most of the sessions be coed, then offer one sex-segregated session at the end, for the benefit of those children who had questions they felt too intimated to ask in a coed environment.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
5th graders laugh at sex only because their parents deem it dirty and taboo at a young age. Then, all of a sudden when you thrust a whole bunch of "dirty concepts" at them, the laughter starts, because it's such a foreign concept to them. Of course, I think this is going to happen no matter how old you are when you're first allowed to start discussing genitals.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I see nothing wrong with showing this to boys.

it's a lot for a 10 year old boy to comprehend

the demonstration of a tampon going into a woman's body
Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

I've never taught kids in school, only on the ski hill,

sounds like your qualified for this job, too.

Quote:
Rosenberg, a ski instructor during the winter, and who last night was in Inwood briefing parents
Old 02-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:42 AM
I know that when my daughter attended these "sessions" in 5th & 6th grade, I, as a parent had to sign a release form authorizing her to attend. I don't know if it's a district, county, or state requirement to do so

I remember her telling me about a song or jingle that kept coming up... it would be 'Just around the corner'

And I kind of like the idea of a question box - at least you could possibly have your question addressed without the possible embarassment a kid of 10-11 years old might go through in asking a question
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

is there anything about the fact that the majority of those who were/are upset about this have been women?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #44
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Headache, what are you basing that inference on? I haven't personally read any other articles besides the one you posted. All it really says is that "a number of parents" expressed concern, only two of whom are identified by name/gender within the article. And in Ms. Molaro's case, it seems she may have been mortified as much by the gleefully invasive way in which her son chose to share his newfound knowledge with her, as by the substance of that knowledge.

Certainly nb and deep seem troubled enough by the program. My guess is *if* fathers really do generally care less about this issue, then that is likely more reflective of a tendency to be less preoccupied with their children's sexual development, period, than with any tendency to be more "open-minded" than women about how sex is taught in schools.

I suppose you *could* try to make an argument that, being able to get pregnant (and maybe, being more likely to experience being seen as a mere "body," rather than a person?), that women "naturally" feel more of a sense of stake in how attitudes towards the opposite sex are ultimately shaped by sex education classes. But I'm not sure such an argument would explain why women might (or might not) be predisposed towards particular types of sex ed programs.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
That only reflects part of the picture, and I am not sure it is that accurate.

By 5th grade, students are well aware of the sexual nature of advertising, and the sexual content on television.

Also, kids with unsupervised access to the internet will come in with tales of pictures they have seen (and have heard these tales for a couple years by 5th grade).

Trying to teach responsiblity and respect in school is difficult, when the media's message is quite different.