Sex Ed Raises Eyebrows - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I guess we need to balance the fear of a perception against any measured improvement in education. As alluded to earlier, there are studies which show that both boys and girls learn some subjects better when in non-mixed classes.

Does this mean full separation? No. But if one subject (here, sex education) is worth teaching, is it worth teaching well?

there's a whole ot of "what if" statements above. and it's really a stretch to take "studies" and then apply those findings to this specific situation.

as a rule, i am not a fan of gender segregation. in my mind, it brings out the absolute worst traits in both genders, and it turns the opposite gender into potential dates instead of actual people. of course it can be good for some people, and i have no problems with private schools being gender-segregated, but it is not something i would advocate unless on a case-by-case basis.

however, as pertains to this subject, i think that, due to it being about gender and sexuality and, more importantly at this age, biology and anatomy, that separation of the genders will do much more to increase ignorance and ... the word isn't quite "fetishize" but more like create more barriers and mysteries between boys and girls that, down the line, will have negative consequences.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:22 AM
i always thought sex-ed should actually teach people how to have sex. it's obvious that we can't prevent these younglings from "doing it", so we might as well give them some tips.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
as a rule, i am not a fan of gender segregation. in my mind, it brings out the absolute worst traits in both genders, and it turns the opposite gender into potential dates instead of actual people. of course it can be good for some people, and i have no problems with private schools being gender-segregated, but it is not something i would advocate unless on a case-by-case basis.

however, as pertains to this subject, i think that, due to it being about gender and sexuality and, more importantly at this age, biology and anatomy, that separation of the genders will do much more to increase ignorance and ... the word isn't quite "fetishize" but more like create more barriers and mysteries between boys and girls that, down the line, will have negative consequences.
Are there studies that show these consequences of gender separation?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
i always thought sex-ed should actually teach people how to have sex. it's obvious that we can't prevent these younglings from "doing it", so we might as well give them some tips.
we are already behind in math and science

do we want Americans to
get behind
in sex
Old 02-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Quote:

not particular to sex ed, but there are studies that show that girls learn more and perform better on tests when seperated.

thank god my school at least taught me about menstration because all my mother told me was that i'd have to stay away from boys once "that" started

why can't they learn about the other gender in a seperate room where they might be more comfortable asking questions.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i'm sure there are. there are studies for everything.

i am working partly from personal experience (college sports ... loooooooooong, complex story), and partly on the basis of anecdotal evidence from friends who have attended same-sex high schools, and also my father who went to a same-sex university (an Ivy, no less).
Old 02-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Having participated as a teacher in a sex-ed class for fifth graders, the boys missed too much information (due particularly to maturity issues) when in a mixed class. They got more info when all the material was presented without girls present.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
why can't they learn about the other gender in a seperate room where they might be more comfortable asking questions.
Which begs the question, why can't they learn (be taught) to be comfortable asking questions together?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Which begs the question, why can't they learn (be taught) to be comfortable asking questions together?
Can you teach maturity? Will you find yourself spending more time teaching them to be comfortable about the subject, instead of learning the subject?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:22 AM
isn't it because they're in 5th grade and kids that age giggle when you say the word breast

they aren't mature enough. I remember being very embarrassed by my period I wouldn't have asked a question with boys in the room.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Having participated as a teacher in a sex-ed class for fifth graders, the boys missed too much information (due particularly to maturity issues) when in a mixed class. They got more info when all the material was presented without girls present.

so what did you see as the problem -- gender or maturity? if the boys had been older, would it have been fine?

how did they miss information?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Well sure, boys get silly when they're uncomfortable or hormonal and attention span goes out the window.

Aren't there ways to channel that engery into engaging them in curious discussion about what they're learning?

I'm not saying that would be easy, but done well it might provide for an even greater learning experience beyond the simple anatomny material at hand.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Can you teach maturity? Will you find yourself spending more time teaching them to be comfortable about the subject, instead of learning the subject?
You can teach empathy. At all ages.

Maybe it's worthwhile taking the time?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
so what did you see as the problem -- gender or maturity? if the boys had been older, would it have been fine?

how did they miss information?
Maturity at the 5th grade level made it difficult to ask questions, or even listen, with mixed genders.

With age, it would be easier for them to remain focused.

But for a limited subject matter, and with limited time available, separating genders probably generates more benefit than harm.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
isn't it because they're in 5th grade and kids that age giggle when you say the word breast

they aren't mature enough. I remember being very embarrassed by my period I wouldn't have asked a question with boys in the room.
Right, me too back then.

So my point is that since we know the barriers and reactions, why can't we address that head on as part of the learning?

Saying they aren't mature enough doesn't give kids the credit they deserve. We often underestimate them.