Serial Rapist In Suburban Houston Is Preying On Men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
It doesn't describe what his "target group" is, but I have never heard of a male serial rapist of men. What could be the reasons/motivation for it, would it be similar reasons for rape of women?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2752192&page=1

"Criminologists have seen cases of serial killers who raped or otherwise had sex with their male victims among them, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer. But psychologically, this is a different phenomenon.

Levin said it is rare for a serial rapist to become a serial killer.

"I think the reason has to do with the absence or presence of a conscience," he said. "A serial rapist is more likely to have a conscience. Otherwise they'd take the life and silence the victim."

Victims have described the Baytown attacker as a clean-shaven black man, 18 to 21 years old, 5-foot-10 to 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds, with a shaved head."

I don't recall his name now, but I remember reading there was a male serial rapist and murderer who attacked men in eastern VA a few years back. He killed several men over about 15 years before he was caught. He always dumped the bodies the same way in the same general area, so the police were sure it was a serial killer. He did seem to be the same type of person who raped and murdered women, only he attacked men instead. I suppose that kind of criminal mind will come out whether or not a person is gay.

This is the only link I can find on him, he was still on the loose at the time but he was eventually caught.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1996/vp960908/09080048.htm

Last edited:
My feeling is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality, that this person will turn out to be straight. I just wonder why then he would rape men, it could be for many possible reasons. And just like male rape of women, it could involve power and control and anger issues. Isn't it making rape about sex to think that it is about homosexuality?

I also wonder if this, and talking about this, makes men uncomfortable for the same reasons that rape makes women uncomfortable- or if if being a man and being raped by a man and what the perceived implications of that are is the major issue. It would be interesting to hear honestly from some males here.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Isn't it making rape about sex to think that it is about homosexuality?

In the case I posted, it was about sex. In most cases with women, it is about sex. The only difference orientation made was what victims he chose to rape.

wonder if this, and talking about this, makes men uncomfortable for the same reasons that rape makes women uncomfortable- or if if being a man and being raped by a man and what the perceived implications of that are is the major issue. It would be interesting to hear honestly from some males here.

You could be right, in this case, it could be more about the power over his victim than sex. I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this idea, too.

MrsSpringsteen said:

"I think the reason has to do with the absence or presence of a conscience," he said. "A serial rapist is more likely to have a conscience. Otherwise they'd take the life and silence the victim."

OK, I'm no expert, but I've taken several courses on psychology and criminal investigations and have never heard anything like this. Generally speaking, rape is about power. It has nothing to do with sex. People don't rape people b/c it feels good when they're having sex. Leaving the victims alive is just another way of exercising power.

As for men raping and killing men, the first one that comes to mind is that guy who killed I believe at least a dozen men and dumped the bodies around his estate. He picked them up at gay clubs and was into rough sex and strangling. This would escalate into strangling to death. Again, this was not about having sex or being gay, it was about power. I don't think he raped the men, but I guess if two people are into really rough sex and strangling, it has the same psychological effect. I can't remember his name, but he killed at least a dozen men and some believe more b/c of unsolved crimes that occurred in an area where he used to live. There's a TV special on him where they interview his wife. It's called Living With a Killer or something to that effect.

No, it is not about sex in most cases with women. It is about what Liesje said-power. And anger and rage and issues male rapists have with women and with themselves. It is merely violence carried out via a sexual act rather than a gun or a knife, though obviously a gun or a knife can also be used.

Men don't like to talk about this, but many of them have strong opinions about rape of women and have no problem expressing that. Interesting.

I was looking for some more info about this case and found this

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/16322958.htm?source=rss&channel=dfw_state

By LIANNE HART
Los Angeles Times

BAYTOWN - A rapist targeting young men in this refinery city has struck at least five times since April, stalking each victim in advance to make sure he's home alone, police say.

The victims are in their late teens or early 20s and live with their parents. In each case the attacker has broken into the home or surprised the victim near the front door and forced him inside, Baytown Police Capt. Roger Clifford said. He has sexually assaulted the men at gunpoint or knifepoint, and has then demanded money or valuables.

"He's always been careful to make sure no one else is home when he confronts them," Clifford said. "There have been no witnesses."

Reports of serial rapists targeting men are much less common than cases with female victims.

The assaults have occurred every 30 to 60 days since April. Investigators are working with the FBI to develop a profile of the attacker, described as a light-skinned black man 18 to 21 years old, 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds. His targets have been white men who are "fairly identical in stature," Clifford said.

"He's bigger and can dominate them," he said.

Women are sometimes reluctant to report rapes out of shame or fear; for men those feelings can be amplified, police say.

In Baytown, police suspect that even more young men have been assaulted but that they are ashamed to report the attacks.

Some of the known victims told police about the attacks after initially reporting robberies, Clifford said.

"When you're talking about the humiliation of being dominated and threatened with your life to perform sexual acts, it's understandable," Clifford said.

But police need all the information they can get. "We don't have any solid leads in this case at all. We need a break," Clifford said.

Rapes aren't always reported by men because "they're afraid they may be perceived as homosexual, or their masculinity may be threatened," said Lynn Parrish, spokeswoman for the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network. "When someone goes through it, the effects can be devastating, especially if you're male. It's important that they reach out and get help."

Surveys conducted by the Department of Justice indicate that one in 10 rape victims is male, and that 1 in 33 men is a victim of sexual assault.

MALE RAPE

by Susan Estrich Wed Dec 20

"None," the police officer in charge reported to my student.

That was the answer to how many instances of rape of males and boys had been reported in the city (it happened to be Boston, where I was teaching at the time) in the previous year.

My student was incredulous. He knew of more than one. None was simply not a plausible answer.

What was going on?

I have been working in the rape crisis field for more than 20 years. I was one of the first clients of the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, in its earliest days, more than 30 years ago. This is my passion, or one of them.

And yet, in all these years spent traveling across the country speaking to groups about rape, writing books and law review articles aimed at legal reform and, most recently, training lawyers and other professionals to work with rape victims, I have spent my time almost exclusively in the company of women, helping women. Once, in San Diego, I met a man who worked for the treatment center focusing on male victims, most of whom were afraid to report, afraid they'd be treated like "fags" by the police (even though some were straight), too humiliated even to tell him what had happened. Can you blame them?

We need more men on our team. We need to bring male rape into the 21st century. None was never the true answer. It certainly isn't today. What none means is that serious criminals are getting away with rape, and boys and men are suffering the stigma of shame along with the pain and anguish of brutalization. And they still are.

In Houston, police announced Monday that they are working to find the man who is responsible for the rapes of at least five teenagers since mid-September. I say at least, as did the police, because they believe there may well be more victims who are simply too ashamed to come forward. It's the "pride thing," as one officer, Lt. Richard Whitaker of Baytown (where two of the attacks took place), described it.

The attacker's pattern is eerily familiar. He has been described as a man who appears to be somewhere between 18 and 21. His victims have all been young men in their late teens. "I think he just sees one that he prefers, and then he begins to follow them and gather information, finding out where they live and watching their house," Lt. Whitaker speculated. His modus operandi is simple: He attacks at gunpoint, robs them and rapes them, usually in or near their homes. Investigators believe that, notwithstanding the robberies, rape is the motive.

Male rape in the 21st century resembles nothing so much as female rape in the 19th and early- to mid-20th centuries. Men are afraid to come forward for many of the same reasons women were (and some still are) -- fear they would be blamed for their victimization; that their sexuality would be the issue, not the defendant's wrongdoing; that they would never escape the stigma, no matter how blameless they were. The supposed offense to the male ego -- the gay-bashing, the guffaws -- has no place in dealing with a serious violent crime. And yet, to deny its prevalence is to ignore how serious and difficult this problem will be to address.

Boys need to be taught that it isn't their fault if a man with a gun (or even without one) rapes you. They need to be taught that it doesn't matter whether you're gay or straight: No one has the right to force sex. This is a crime of violence, not sex. They need men -- in police departments, hospitals and district attorney's offices -- with the training and expertise to deal sensitively with the physical and emotional issues involved, in order to win the victim's cooperation, in order to catch and successfully prosecute the perpetrator. They need, in short, all the support structures we have built for women victims, and then some. It is time to take male rape out of the closet and deal with it in the courts.

The man who attacked me used an ice pick instead of a gun. He followed me into my parking lot, stole my wallet and my car. In so many respects, other than my gender, it was just the same as what is happening to boys my age (then) in Houston. It is time we treated it the same.

MrsSpringsteen said:
No, it is not about sex in most cases with women. It is about what Liesje said-power. And anger and rage and issues male rapists have with women and with themselves. It is merely violence carried out via a sexual act rather than a gun or a knife, though obviously a gun or a knife can also be used.

Right. It's not about sex at all, at least not with serial rapists. Maybe a one-timer sees his pretty neighbor undressing and takes his fantasy too far, but for serial rapists it's the fantasy that gives them pleasure, planning every detail. They are not turned on by sex or the thoughts of raping a woman, it's the power and control they can elicit through carrying out the fantasy that becomes addicting. Once they finally carry it out, there's almost a let-down which leads them to start over again, rebuilding their fantasies and often escalating levels of violence or to murder.

Take Bundy for example. He didn't really have sex with his victims. The act of carrying out his fantasy and killing them gave him sexual pleasure, not sex itself. If anything, rape is about power, and escalating to murder is more sexual than rape. It's not "oooh she's hot so I'm going to break into her house and boink her."

I had a close male friend in grad school who'd been gang-raped 10 years earlier in the parking lot of a bar. (It was not a gay bar, my friend was straight, and there was no particular reason to assume any of the men who raped him were gay.) It was, without question, the most emotionally devastating moment in his life and a decade later, he was still struggling in various ways with the psychological aftermath of it. I don't necessarily know a lot of details about all he went through emotionally--that's not generally something one can press rape victims, male or female, to discuss--but I know enough to be very clear that he experienced all the same feelings of deep shame, suppressed rage, and profound humiliation that so many female rape victims struggle with. As far as the actual situation the rape occurred in, it took place when his family was living in another country, he was conspicuously a child of rich foreigners in a poor country with intense class divisions, and his own assessment as to "why" seemed to be that he simply made for a convenient target for some sort of collective revenge. I suppose it's also possible that there was some kind of prior altercation, or some other supposed quality they saw in him that further heightened their "revenge" fantasies or something, but if so, he never mentioned that. At any rate, at the time, he told no one--police, friends, or family--anything more than that he'd "gotten beat up" (he did have a few bruises he couldn't hide). Several years--and several suicide attempts, drug addictions, and major depressive episodes--later, he finally managed to tell a therapist what had happened.

I don't specifically recall him mentioning "masculinity" or "fear of being labeled gay" as reasons for not telling anyone, but I do remember him mentioning feeling too ashamed to speak or even make eye contact with people, fearing he wouldn't be able to handle the sorts of responses people might have if he told them, and fear of what he might do to himself or others if he allowed himself to consciously think about what had happened to him too much. I've never personally known a woman who experienced anything quite like what he did (that I know of, anyhow), but from testimonies and personal narratives I've read, I'd have to say those sound exactly like the reasons women so often give for why they didn't tell anyone, either. I don't doubt that feelings about losing one's masculinity add their own particular inflections to the trauma and present their own particular added barriers to talking about it, but in my view, the fundamental nature of the shame is likely pretty much the same. I think for pretty much everyone, male or female, there is a certain irreducible need for mastery over your own body, for control over your boundaries and who, how, when and why you allow to cross them, that must be respected in order for you to feel whole and secure in your basic integrity as a human being. And there's just something about sexual violation of those boundaries in particular that, for whatever reason, most all of us experience as being more primally degrading and debasing and humiliating than all but the most extreme forms of physical violation. I'm quite certain that most people of both sexes would far rather be beaten than violently raped.

Like MrsS I wouldn't be particularly surprised if this Houston rapist turns out to be straight, however, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he turns out to be gay either. Finding the sexual brutalization of another person irresistibly arousing is abnormal in any case, but I can't think of any obvious logical reason why gay men would be less likely to have that trait in comparable proportions. I suppose to a point it's an interesting question why, if orientation has no essential link to it, it's so much more common for straight men to express their sadistic impulses towards women sexually than those towards men. The only connection I can think of is that straight men who rape women (serial rapists, particularly) so often seem to harbor irrational beliefs that women in general have deeply sexually wronged them somehow, that they've been humiliated and pushed around and unacceptably debased by real or imagined sexual manipulations and rejections from women, and by some sick series of dysfunctional connections, their normal sexual interest in women then winds up getting intertwined with their more general (and pathological) interest in avenging themselves on women in a drastic way. Whereas, simply because they're straight, they have no concern one way or the other for the idea of whether other men are manipulating or rejecting them sexually, making that particular series of connections that much less likely to occur. But that's all just speculation, and so far as it goes, it obviously doesn't address the "motivations" for things like prison gang rapes or, for that matter, what happened to my friend. Those kinds of crimes are extremely atypical, though--most male rape victims are raped by male acquaintances, just like most female ones--and they probably require a different explanation as to why the perpetrators in those cases (assuming they're straight) found the idea of raping another man sufficiently arousing under the circumstances to be able to carry it out to begin with...as opposed to "simply" settling for beating him to a pulp. Yes rape is primarily about domination and humiliation, but it does also require sexual arousal, so ultimately you have to have some kind of additional explanation for how that particular impulse somehow worked its way into the equation. Otherwise, the act of one man raping another would be far more common than it is.

As far as why the topic of male rape victims isn't discussed much, I think the main reason is simply that there are far fewer of them, and therefore it's a much less visible crime and much less talked about. It's always harder to talk about traumatic things that have happened to you if there isn't much sociocultural precedent out there for talking about them. As the Estrich article points out, it wasn't so long ago that female rape victims never publically talked about their experiences, either--and of course, a great many still don't, even if Victorian notions of "ruined reputations" are no longer, per se, a big issue. And *if*, as I suspect, it's the case that *most* male rape victims are gay men who were raped by other gay men (which, since it is true that most male victims know their attackers, would make sense), that could be an additional reason why this particular crime tends to remain invisible. Unfortunately, so long as so few male victims are unwilling to speak publically about their experiences and encourage others to do the same, it's pretty difficult to get much of a dialogue going about it, let alone get a good sociometric sense of precisely who this happens to, what it does to them, and how best to address both.

Personally, I think it's about sexual power. A kind of, "I can take sex from you no matter what you say, so there." deal..some people just have no idea that no means no. Besides, sex being the intimate thing that it is, you just totally mess over someone's entire emotional being when you remove the right to control who enters your body. What 'better' way to do it than to force them to have sex with you?

Thanks for sharing what happened to your friend yolland-and for the rest of your post. I wonder too if this man had possibly been raped himself once by a man and he became so messed up by it, for lack of a better term, that he is doing this. Or molested as a child by a man.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So forced copulation in the animal kingdom for reproduction is also just about power and dominating women then?

People do fucked up things, among them rape, but it is dangerous to ascribe all behaviours to one cause or to exclude a certain cause in certain instances because it is politically incorrect. Cases like this or raping children have nothing to do with reproductive strategy but that doesn't mean that other cases cannot involve sex as a motive.

Last edited:
I thought that we were all animals, we display behaviours which can be motivated by a lot of things - including sex. Thats not an excuse for rape any more than it is for infanticide, most of us have the capacity for self control; but those who don't for whatever reason be it social or biological present the problems.

Last edited:
Animals don't have the intellectual and cognitive and emotional ability to even want to have power over, and humiliate, another animal through the use of forced sex. That's why it's called "animal instinct"-it's innate, not a result of any other intent. It is about sex and nothing else.

I would certainly hope it's not the instinct and innate desire of men to want to have power and control over, and humiliate, women (or in this case other men) by raping them.

What about other primates? Chimps can be pretty forceful about it and we are practically the same.

Removing sex from the equation entirely seems just as flawed as putting sex as the only reason. The oldest rape prevention strategies seem universally about diminishing the risk from what could only be described as sexual provocation; human societies didn't invent modesty concepts just to supress their women.

Well I don't know about chimps, I would still doubt that they can form an actual intent to humiliate and have power over another chimp via rape. I don't know enough about them so who knows?

If it's about sex, well frankly a guy could easily take care of that issue himself. I suppose we could get into technicalities about whether that's exactly the same, but the bottom line is that anyone who has to get sex through force is automatically making it about issues other than sex, in my viewpoint. The desire for sex in most people does not outweigh respect and decency and concern for fellow human beings - at least not to the extent that they would commit rape.

The oldest rape prevention strategies came from sexist views about women and distorted views of what rape is really all about. Views that some people still hold to this day, by the way.

I do agree it's about power, and to them sex is part of that. If it were only about sex, they'd only rape and not kill. But orientation probably does have a hand in the victims chosen, male or female. Either way it's a tragedy.

A_Wanderer said:
So forced copulation in the animal kingdom for reproduction is also just about power and dominating women then?

People do fucked up things, among them rape, but it is dangerous to ascribe all behaviours to one cause or to exclude a certain cause in certain instances because it is politically incorrect. Cases like this or raping children have nothing to do with reproductive strategy but that doesn't mean that other cases cannot involve sex as a motive.

First of all he said MOST, secondly if you think the psycology of sex is the same with human and animals you are sadly mistaken.

Why should we put a big wall up between human beings and other animals, we are animals and are hard wired with behaviours like other animals; the fact that we have conciousness and communication does not undo this, the sex drive in people is not removed from the sex drive in other mammals - hell Dolphins have sex for pleasure and monkeys masturbate - we just get to enjoy the augmentation of being so damn social.

Sex came before psychology; sex has influenced human psychology more than psychology has influenced sex.

Butterscotch said:
to them sex is part of that. If it were only about sex, they'd only rape and not kill.

This is just not true. There's nothing in psychology or criminology to support this.

How can you say sex plays no part when it's a big part of the crimes? That makes no sense at all. Doesn't it make sense that forced sex is part of the 'power' they are seeking?

If sex played no part, we would see a larger number of reported cases of non-sexual physical torture - e.g. electrical shocks, chopping fingers off, etc. But we rarely hear about such criminal cases (outside of war zones).

Butterscotch said:
How can you say sex plays no part when it's a big part of the crimes? That makes no sense at all. Doesn't it make sense that forced sex is part of the 'power' they are seeking?

Sex is used for power. They don't rape because they want to have sex with X woman. Also, "If it were only about sex, they'd only rape and not kill." was more the part I was referring to. I've never heard that before and was wondering where you got that from. Most serial murders who rape actually get sexual pleasure from the killing, not the sex. Killing is like orgasmic for them. Sometimes they'll have sex after the killing, which again has nothing to do with sexual pleasure, but rather having the last word, giving the body one final desecration under their control. Sex is completely incidental for serial rapists and serial killers. Most of them have severe psychological disorders so they basically have no conscience. They don't not kill because they feel bad and only wanted sex, they don't kill because it leaves the victim to suffer and be vulnerable for the rest of his/her life. They like knowing that it was THEIR power that did this to them and THEIR power that allowed them to live.

Sex DOES play a part, it's just not the motive.

A_Wanderer said:
Why should we put a big wall up between human beings and other animals, we are animals and are hard wired with behaviours like other animals

Well maybe we should also prey on each other and eat each other, attack each other physically on a regular basis, smell each other's butts :wink:, and engage in any and all other behaviors that animals engage in. I think perhaps the goal for most humans is to be "better than animals", that is to say as far as our behaviors towards each other and the fact that we are supposed to have morality and intent and power over our instincts and impulses, etc.. Sad fact is that too many humans don't have that as a goal, and in fact animals are often more loving and kind than many human beings are.

Having sex for pleasure and masturbating is an entirely different discussion than rape is, and to bring that into it is making me nervous. I doubt that your intent is to in any way equate those.

Most men (I say men because the majority of rapes are committed by men) would masturbate for their sex needs before they would ever force someone to have sex - which is rape pure and simple.

You can have power over someone in many ways, but the greatest power, other than taking someone's life, is taking away their right to choose who they have sex with-which for most people is the most intimate act you can have with someone. Other than taking someone's life, how can the greatest power not be to invade their body without their permission and take away their choice and make sex brutal rather than loving and pleasurable and intimate and freely chosen? How is that not about everything else besides the sex act?

Last edited:
How many rapists view sex as an intimate act - how many as hard and fast gratitfication of their urges on whatever level.

It's one thing to acknowledge that we behave due to our biology and it's another to justify wrongdoing for that reason. Reflexive dissociation of sex from rape regardless of evidence (for instance rape acheiving pregnancy at around twice the rate of consensual sex) could inhibit successful rape prevention strategies or punishments.

Back
Top Bottom