"September 11ís Legacy: War as Franchise" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
It never fails to amuse me how when a piece of left-wing criticism of the Bush administration is posted, the conservatives run out with their and and "she's nuts" commentary. It's quite an effective way of dodging an honest political debate, of course, and certainly far easier than actually discussing the good and bad points of the article posted.
Maybe it would be better if we discussed our own views instead of posting the opinion pieces of others. If conservatives started posting Ann Coulter's work, we'd see a similar reaction from the liberals.

I agree though, we should have good honest political debate.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 AM
We have Ann Coulter's books at work. I admit I haven't read any of them (too busy with work to read alot of books......am currently researching the Middle East and Islam).
So many books, not enough time.

Old 09-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I will however say this.....The article attempts to place political oppression in the other countries on the US. I think it is EASY for the author and others to consistently day in and day out say because of the US actions since 9/11 other nations have been able to do what they want. I disagree. Other nations were, are, and will continue to oppress people as they have throughout time. Blaming the US for nothing new, is silliness especially when President Bush is not in charge of these other countries.

I know when one of my children misbehaves and says, but so and so did this, it does not excuse them for their OWN behavior. But, everyone can keep putting it all on the US and avoid looking in the mirror.

Sorry, people should be accountable for their actions.

Now...I am done with this thread...I wasted too much of my valuable time thinking about Miss Klein.

Hopefully, since and were not enough you are no longer bored.
Ahhhh!! Trying...not...to...post.....
Alas, Dreadsox, I cannot resist. Please forgive my weakness. I must say one more thing.

I don't think Miss Klein is arguing that the other countries buying into the US's "franchise" are blameless. I don't think you can pin that on her.

The US is the most powerful country in the world. If the most powerful country is waging a "war" against terrorists, regimes AND the voices of dissent (which is the issue in her article), this gives license to other countries to do the same without fear of repercussions. It happens with US backing in some cases. The type of climate the US has lead the world into has created these conditions. For this reason the US shares in the responsibility, but is not soley culpable.

I know you are exhausted with this topic, sorry.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:05 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Maybe it would be better if we discussed our own views instead of posting the opinion pieces of others. If conservatives started posting Ann Coulter's work, we'd see a similar reaction from the liberals.

I agree though, we should have good honest political debate.
Your probably right about the responses nbcrusader.

I wouldn't mind seeing conservative opinion pieces. The truth is I probably don't read enough of them.

I post other people's opinion pieces because usually they say what I think, only they say it better! Saves a lot of typing too.