Separation of Church and State in Alabama - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2003, 06:36 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:12 AM
People like Moore are not interested in universality, but, rather, are interested in trying to show the "supremacy" of their religion. That makes all the difference.

Melon

Old 08-22-2003, 09:03 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:12 AM

I don't think it's that big of a deal. 99.9% of the population probably couldn't care less if it's there or not. It's just the extremists on both sides trying to make a show. I can't really believe anyone is so offended by the 10 Commandments they'd have such a fit. Maybe the guy is using it for politics. But I really don't think it's so terrible they'd have to take it down. Maybe some local church group can sponsor it so it won't be 'gov't' controlled anymore.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Maybe some local church group can sponsor it so it won't be 'gov't' controlled anymore.
It's in a Government building! The government can't choose a religion. It's that simple. If a church sponsored it, it would be on church grounds and this wouldn't be an issue, but he doesn't want it on church grounds.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

You're right, Fizz, this is meaningless. It's a political game. This guy's religious rights are *not* being violated. It's got nothing to do with anyone's religious rights. No one is telling him he can't practice his religion. It's the kind of political charade that our political idiots play. They don't address the real problems addressing the state. If they do address them the way our Republican governor has, the Old Guard tries to shoot them down. It's exasperating. How are we supposed to accomplish anything?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I have heard people say, "If everyone followed the Ten Commandments we would not need any other laws." Does anyone really believe this?
A great question for another thread, but I think with something more than a superficial approach to the commandments, the answer would be yes.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

People have to realize that this arguement isn't even really about the 10 commandments being placed there. The Supreme Court has the 10 Commandments on the wall behind them. The difference here is that the Supreme Court also has other things on that wall that pertain to other religions and other law making codes. In this court in Alabama it is ONLY the 10 Commandments and nothing else. This (at least in perception) elevates one group of people above others because of their religious beliefs. Are you willing to risk getting a fair trial because of your religious beliefs??? It shouldn't even be an issue right? Right.

That's why we seperate church and state. Everyone in this country has a right and a freedom to the faith of their choosing. People like Moore are seriously twisted and are ignorant about the foundation this country was built on.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:15 PM   #22
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
You're right, Fizz, this is meaningless. It's a political game. This guy's religious rights are *not* being violated.
I know I don't post in here very often any more...but I agree, this argument is meaningless....the statue is doing no one any harm...it's not like people are being forced to look at it.....what about "In God We Trust" being written on our money? Are they going to try to remove that next too? It's Government money
Old 08-22-2003, 12:24 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I know I don't post in here very often any more...but I agree, this argument is meaningless....the statue is doing no one any harm...it's not like people are being forced to look at it.....what about "In God We Trust" being written on our money? Are they going to try to remove that next too? It's Government money
If you were Muslim and on trial and you walked into a courthouse that had what is considered a Judeo Christian tablet of laws written upon them, but no other religions represented. How would you feel about get a fair trial? This isn't meaningless. The "In God we Trust" can be any god, it's not limited to Judeo-Christian beliefs. Although athiests have brought up this issue before...but this will be another thread for another day.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The latest on everyone's favorite state Supreme Court Justice:

Alabama Panel Suspends Ten Commandments Judge

Quote:
ATLANTA (Reuters) - An Alabama commission that monitors judicial conduct on Friday suspended the chief justice of the state's Supreme Court over his defiance of a U.S. order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the state courthouse.

Roy Moore, who has vowed to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court to keep the monument in public view, was suspended pending the review of a complaint that accuses him of misconduct for not meeting a midnight Wednesday deadline to remove the display, a representative of the state Judicial Inquiry Commission said. Moore, who was elected chief justice in late 2000, has been fighting to keep the two-ton granite monument in the court building in Montgomery since he had it installed two years ago.

A federal judge ruled the display must be moved because it violated a clause in the U.S. Constitution which bars the government from promoting religion.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:23 PM   #25
New Yorker

ack! we have two threads going on this now and go debate in both. I posted this in the other one but also wanted to post it here for thought. From CNN.com

Asked on CNN whether he would support an Islamic monument to the Koran in the rotunda of the federal building, Moore replied, "This nation was founded upon the laws of God, not upon the Koran. That's clear in the Declaration (of Independence), so it wouldn't fit history and it wouldn't fit law."
Old 08-22-2003, 08:06 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
ack! we have two threads going on this now and go debate in both. I posted this in the other one but also wanted to post it here for thought. From CNN.com

Asked on CNN whether he would support an Islamic monument to the Koran in the rotunda of the federal building, Moore replied, "This nation was founded upon the laws of God, not upon the Koran. That's clear in the Declaration (of Independence), so it wouldn't fit history and it wouldn't fit law."

Idiot. That's how much he knows about Islam.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The framers of this country, specifically Jefferson and Madison held an expansive view of the First Amendment, arguing that church-state separation would protect both religion and government.
Madison specifically feared that a small group of powerful churches would join together and seek establishment or special favors from the government.
Jefferson and Madison did not see church- state separation as an either or" proposition or argue that one institution needed greater protection than the other. To prevent this from happening, Madison sooke of the desirability of a "multiplicity of sect" that would guard againt government favoritism.
Jefferson believed that no worthy religion would seek the power of the state to coerce belief.
Even though I'm not sure how much power of coercion Moore has, I'm greatly pleased that he has been suspended. He does not speak for me or any of the Alabamians I know, and is looked upon as yet another embarrasement for this state. He'd just another fanatic who want's to live by his law and want's everyone else to live by it too. He's deluded abd that makes him dangerous. Ok, I've had my say.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:06 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with everything you said, sue4u2.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:15 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Jefferson believed that no worthy religion would seek the power of the state to coerce belief.
As we can see then, we no longer have worthy religions.

Melon
Old 08-22-2003, 10:16 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Idiot. That's how much he knows about Islam.
Not to agree with Moore, but why the strong response?