Sensationalism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madroseka

The Fly
I have seen in several other threads on this board arguments made against discussing people and/or idea that are viewed as sensational. (Ann Coulter, Michael Moore, abotion...etc.) My question is that if we aren't discussing these issues here, at very heart of the matter, where should it be discussed? Should they be discussed at all? Also is it not the point of forums like FYM to bring out the passionate, all be it sometimes hysterical debates? How can we fully understand issues if we aren't subjected to hearing the other side? I'm not saying we necessarily have to agree on everything but should they at least be brought to the table? That being said I'm not trying to tick anyone off by saying that, I have just noticed how "popular" the sensational threads tend be. Thanks for reading!

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are getting at. We've discussed Ann, MM, and abortion ad nauseum in here. Some believe discussing Ann or MM is somewhat useless because they're extremest and really represent very few, but both have been discussed.

Now when it comes to abortion we've had many of threads dedicated to abortion, most of which end up closed due to a few individuals who can't discuss it without getting personal and attack those that oppose their views.

But the problem is when abortion or such passionate items gets brought up in threads that have nothing to do with these subjects, then we ask people to not discuss them, but otherwise it's free game.

There are some people on the board who don't come into FYM 'cause they think we're mean. Us? Mean? Never! :evil:

We do actually discuss several controversial subjects here, and discuss is the operative word. When a thread or a subject gets out of hand -- more ranting and frothing than discussion, is when people start suggesting we as a group give it a rest for a while.

Plus I think people just get tired of some topics sometimes. I know there are times I'm just not in the mood to come in FYM and discuss anything, so I don't. Other times I can spend hours on end here in FYM alone.

indra said:
There are some people on the board who don't come into FYM 'cause they think we're mean. Us? Mean? Never! :evil:
It can be pretty cut throat in here from all sides. But I also think many who think it's "mean" is due to not being able to check their emotions at the door and letting things get too personal.

indra said:

Plus I think people just get tired of some topics sometimes. I know there are times I'm just not in the mood to come in FYM and discuss anything, so I don't. Other times I can spend hours on end here in FYM alone.
There are some threads I don't even open due to title of the thread sometimes because I'm just so tired of the subject. I too can spend far too much time in here.

One of the problems of forums (and conversations in general even with those you know best) is that we never often get to nuance. We are firmly entrenched in our opinions and apparently like the adrenelin rush. Part of the problem is that there aren't too many new arguments to present on either side of most sensationalist issues. For some of the age-old arguments, we've
been discussing it (talkative little people we are) since we were like twelve. Some of us have changed our opinons over the years due to personal experience or "awakenings" (on both sides) and then become firmly entrenched in the other side.

We can guess where many of us are going to fall on any issue.
So after a while even the most sensational of issues gets boring and the arguments circular. (Sometimes, I am shaken out of my complacency when someone surprises me and then I pay attention.) I tend to lose interest in the conversation when most everyone is sticking to the company line. It's monologue against monologue. Sensational topics seldom lead to dialogue in my opinion. And it's a shame.

I've been guilty of baiting and taking the bait. I've also become very fond of some of the people I disagree with most vehemently because I see nuance and thought there and deviation from the
company line. I can talk to that person.

Besides, just how many times can you say "he's/she's and asshole"? :wink:

(Not about other posters, but about, well, all the assholes out there.)

There's only one issue where I can get nasty, and I will not accept "nuance."

For the rest, they're just issues that aren't worth too much of a fuss.

Melon

We all have our issues where we won't accept nuance. The problem is when we're not willing to see nuance in anything.
Your trigger may not be my trigger, but we all have them.

I don't do abortion threads because they get too heated. That's probably the hottest issue out there. Otherwise, yes, there are only so many times you can say "X is an :censored:hole".

Thanks for all the good views! I appricate all of your opinions. Even though I have only 8 replies I would have to say my first thread was a sucess! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom