send Bill O'Reilly to Darfur!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Kristof of 'NYT' Starts Pledge Drive to Back Bill O'Reilly Trip

By E&P Staff

Published: February 06, 2006 10:55 PM ET

NEW YORK New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof resumed his exchange with TV/radio talkster Bill O'Reilly on Tuesday, asking readers to contribute to a fund to send O'Reilly to Darfur.

Kristof said he would ante up the first $1000.

The "feud" began last December when O'Reilly denounced Kristof as a "left-wing ideologue." Kristof replied by challenging O'Reilly to show truly "traditional values" by joining him on a visit to Darfur to assess the death and devastation there, thereby "using your talents for an important cause."

Kristof in his Tuesday column revealed that a few days ago he got this answer: "I do three hours of daily news analysis on TV and radio. There's no way I can go to Africa."

But Kristof replied that with a satellite phone, "you can do your show from anywhere."

Asking readers for help, Kristof asked that they send emails to sponsorbill@gmail.com -- and tell him how much they are willing to pay toward O'Reilly's expenses in Darfur.

"Offers will be anonymous, except maybe to the N.S.A.," Kristof observes. "Sure, this is a desperate measure. But with several hundred thousand people already murdered in Darfur and two million homeless and living in shantytowns, the best hope for those still alive is a strong dose of American outrage....

"Mr. O'Reilly has a big audience and a knack for stirring outrage. Lately, he (quite properly) galvanized an outcry over a ridiculously light sentence for a sexual predator in Vermont. The upshot was that the sentence was increased. Good for him.

"So imagine the furor Mr. O'Reilly could stir up if he publicized the hundreds of thousands of rapes, murders and mutilations in Darfur. He could save lives on a grand scale.

"Join the pledge drive!"

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001958173

[/q]

I guess the world would fall apart without his three hours of TV/radio if he went to Africa. To be fair though plenty of other people, including plenty of Democrats/liberals/whatever, can "talk the talk but not walk the walk" and don't use their talents for an important cause.

I guess O'Reilly just gets singled out because of his big mouth, big ego, etc. I think it's rather fascinating that so many men are in feuds with him. Ah the male ego :wink:

WinnieThePoo said:
Bill needs clockwork orange therapy with U2 , Bob Marley & RHCP

:wink:

Since his show is only 3 hours a day, he has plenty of time too :lol:

Btw, where IS the American outrage?

trevster2k said:
Any oil in Darfur?
Yes, for so far i know Dafur is a part of sudan,...and sudan has oil.And big oil contracts with China and India. That is why hard economical sanctions never will be in place by the United nations

"I do three hours of daily news analysis on TV and radio. There's no way I can go to Africa."

:lmao:

Big fucking deal.

Irvine511 said:

Bill O'Reilly is a cheap marketing effort.

you could have just stopped at "Bill O'Reilly is cheap..."

I happen to think that Bill O'Reilly is one of the most incredible journalists in the business today.

He doesn't take any shit from anyone! He doesn't try to ram his ideas down anyone's throat, he just presents facts and lets the audience decide.

He has gone on many crusades for the benefit of children ("Jessica's Law" and the Judge Cashman case for example), and he is truly looking out for the decent folks while exposing the not-so-decent ones.

I am addicted to "The O'Reilly Factor" and just love it when he goes head-to-head with guest who anger him.

One complaint though, I really don't like it when he has Dick Morris giving analysis about the Clintons.....that's like Bill Gates giving analysis about Apple.....

In short, we need a lot more take-no-prisoners, kick-ass journalists like him.

O'REILLY ROCKS!!!

Is Bill Orally a journalist ? I thought he was a ankerman on television and does not do any investigations,..only commenting and calling names to people that have a differnt opinion .

AchtungBono said:
He doesn't take any shit from anyone! He doesn't try to ram his ideas down anyone's throat, he just presents facts and lets the audience decide.

are you being ironic?

because if there's ANYONE on TV more guilty of shoving his ideas down someone's throats, telling people to shut up, cutting their mics, framing the discussion in a position most favorable to him, selling himself as a brand (a sort of "avenging angel of the working classes"), making the show about him first and foremost, trading on cheap shots and easy anger (pedophile priests! the corruption of your children!) instead of the real issues that are difficult to discuss and don't lend themselves to outrage, and all combined with his homophobia that he seems to think makes him all that much more heterosexual ... then it is Bill O'Reilly.

Irvine511 said:
because if there's ANYONE on TV more guilty of shoving his ideas down someone's throats, telling people to shut up, cutting their mics, framing the discussion in a position most favorable to him, selling himself as a brand (a sort of "avenging angel of the working classes"), making the show about him first and foremost, trading on cheap shots and easy anger (pedophile priests! the corruption of your children!) instead of the real issues that are difficult to discuss and don't lend themselves to outrage, and all combined with his homophobia that he seems to think makes him all that much more heterosexual ... then it is Bill O'Reilly.

What a beautiful elaboration on "cheap marketing effort" :yes:

He picks very easy targets to incite anger and righteous indignation, but put him on the spot to put his money where his mouth is and he makes a lame ass excuse? How is that looking out for good folks???

AliEnvy said:
He picks very easy targets to incite anger and righteous indignation, but put him on the spot to put his money where his mouth is and he makes a lame ass excuse? How is that looking out for good folks???

Bill O'Reilly only cares about making working class white people angry.

:der: The first thing i did read there,...

Should The Factor report the names of large corporations that do not donate to the new military hospital for wounded warriors?
-------------------------------------------------

Is this a way to force big corporations to donate ?

Irvine511 said:
Bill O'Reilly only cares about making working class white people angry.

And that, in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing unless the only outcome is en masse angry, self-righteous, exclusive navel-gazing.

Back
Top Bottom