send Bill O'Reilly to Darfur!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

are you being ironic?

because if there's ANYONE on TV more guilty of shoving his ideas down someone's throats, telling people to shut up, cutting their mics, framing the discussion in a position most favorable to him, selling himself as a brand (a sort of "avenging angel of the working classes"), making the show about him first and foremost, trading on cheap shots and easy anger (pedophile priests! the corruption of your children!) instead of the real issues that are difficult to discuss and don't lend themselves to outrage, and all combined with his homophobia that he seems to think makes him all that much more heterosexual ... then it is Bill O'Reilly.

Yes indeed.

nbcrusader said:
Funny how we get angry about Bill O'Reilly getting other people angry. Isn't this just another form of hate?

Politics seem to be a vicious circle of hate these days.

nbcrusader said:

I agree, and some seem energized by it.

I stay away from politics as much as possible.

Yeah, me too.

But I do find this place interesting. So far pretty civil, but it does seem to lean a little. But that's OK too.

doubleU said:

Yeah, me too.

But I do find this place interesting. So far pretty civil, but it does seem to lean a little. But that's OK too.

I've been active on this board for 2 1/2 years primarily because of the intelligent, civil and thoughtful discussion in FYM.

At the end of the day, partisian nonsense tends to weed itself out.

nbcrusader said:
Funny how we get angry about Bill O'Reilly getting other people angry. Isn't this just another form of hate?

well, firstly i'm not angry, per se, about bill o'reilly.

though i did find his comments on "brokeback" offensive. but see another thread for why.

so are you suggesting that anger is hate?

nbcrusader said:

Hate has an object. One gets angry about what is said, done, suggested, etc. One hates the person who does it.

yes, but i don't hate O'Reilly. i hate -- and that's still a strong word, "despair at" is probably better -- how he sells anger and hate with self-righteousness, the "avenging angel of the working class" schtick he's well perfected. he's a cunning debater, and certainly deserves his success as his show is expertly produced; what i despair at is the market for such things.

i don't see any objects, in this situation, as worthy of much emotion, especially as one akin to hate. the situation, as told by O'Reilly's enormous ratings and merchandising success, makes me despair.

i also think hate is one of the more overused words out there.

nbcrusader said:

For some I would say that's true. And if you're saying negativity begets negativity, then that's also true.

But generally speaking, saying anger is hate is a bit like saying irritation is rage.

I'm not mixing the two concepts. Just pointing out how we can move down the continuum from anger over and issue, to hate directed towards a person.

nbcrusader said:
Just pointing out how we can move down the continuum from anger over and issue, to hate directed towards a person.

You bet...that happens all too often. Although I haven't seen it happen in this thread.

Irvine511 said:
Bill O'Reilly only cares about making working class white people angry.

Irvine, you nailed it. This is exactly the M.O. at Fox News. O'Reilly is just better at it than anyone else there. Although I'd lose the "white" distinction. It's more older people than anything else: good, simple, red-state people who proved themselves easy victims during the era of communism. Liberalism and secularism are just the latest boogeyman. Nothing sells like anger and fear and there's a lot of good folks out there who don't even know they're being manipulated.

Back
Top Bottom