Senator Wins Powerball Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=62074

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Judd Gregg won $853,492 this week in the big Powerball lottery. He is one of 49 winners who shared the "Match 5" bonus awarded to those who had five numbers right, but not the final Powerball number.

Usually, getting the first five right is worth a mere $200,000. But the lottery organizers changed the rules this summer to spread the wealth from the biggest jackpots. The new bonus rules were triggered on Wednesday night when a single ticket took first prize in a $340 million Powerball lottery. Gregg and 48 other lucky ticketholders received an extra $653,492.

What will he do with the lottery money?

"Whatever my wife tells me what to do with it?" he joked, saying he would turn a portion of the winnings over to the Hugh Gregg Foundation, which supports New Hampshire charities and is named after Gregg's late father, a former governor of New Hampshire. (Editor's note: An earlier version of this story, based on a report from the Associated Press, incorrectly stated that all the winnings would go to the foundation.)

Gregg said he didn't play any particular numbers and allowed the lottery ticket machine to select them at random. He said he checked the tickets Thursday and told his wife, Kathy, that he had won some money.

"She said, 'Are you sure you read the numbers correctly?' because I tend to be a little dyslexic, I tend to transpose numbers," he said.

He said he doesn't buy lottery tickets often but was intrigued by the publicity of the massive jackpot.

Funny........you normally don't think of your Senator buying a lottery ticket. I don't think mine would because they are opposed to a lottery and represent a very anti-lottery state. It'd be very politically embarrassing if they did buy and then win something.

No wonder I got a New Hampshire quarter in change from the vending machine the other day....

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom