Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel, the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Re: Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

Well this is true...

Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Most of Rangel's arguments in favor of this concept come from his belief that the poor and minorities are fighting a war that's mainly supported by the rich and powerful ("chicken hawks"). As such, Rangel is pushing for this concept as both a socioeconomic equalizer and as a way to make this war so unpopular as to force a pullout.

With that, this bill will never make it out of committee, and even if it did, it would face a resounding defeat.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Not that I want to go...but if this were to really happen, I wonder if this could also mean finding a way to include women in the draft. I mean, last I remember they couldn't be in front lines.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Re: Re: Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well this is true...
No it isn't, the draft is a form of slavery to government, people have freedom of concience and must elect to be in the military by their own volition.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
The Fly

I am not in favor of bringing back the draft. But I wondered -- as President Bush pushed for this "war" -- how many people in his family , or even in the circle of people that he knows personally would be serving. I wondered the same thing about the members of Congress. And I agree with Rangel-- these decisions would be made much more carefully, if each and every person who advocated for this war assumed a personal level of risk.
If the draft is reinstated, I would strongly support some type of alternative public service. I also think that women would have to be included. In the long run, this would, I think, make all of us more conservative in the military actions that we advocate. Participating in some form of mandatory community service would also give us common experiences as citizens -- which in my opinion, would be a good thing.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No it isn't, the draft is a form of slavery to government, people have freedom of concience and must elect to be in the military by their own volition.
I'm completely behind this war, I just don't want my son or loved ones to fight it, but your son should be there on the front line.

Sounds like hypocricy to me.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the problem with a volunteer army is that Americans are likely to tune out.

I do not hear people talking about the war. I do not here people expressing any interest in educating themselves about the situation.

I think a draft mobilizes the electorate and personlizes the situation. Without the draft, it is so easy to dismiss it saying, "They Volunteered".
Old 11-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
She's the One

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Rangel has a completely valid point, but it pisses me off to see people advocating something they really don't believe in just to make a point.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I'm completely behind this war, I just don't want my son or loved ones to fight it, but your son should be there on the front line.

Sounds like hypocricy to me.
Do two wrongs make a right?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Senator Rangel looks to reinstate draft

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Do two wrongs make a right?
No, but it's still a hypocricy no matter how you cut it.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

as much as I like Charile Rangel, I am not in favor of what he wants to do. Both of my older brothers were in the service during the Vietnam War. One brother was drafted, and my other brother enlisted because he knew sooner or later he would be dratfed. It was was horrible having them over there at the same time. and I thank God that they bothcame home alive and were not maimed like so many, that either came home in body bags, or without an arm or leg. To this day my one brother will not talk about being over there. They only thing he ever said was that we should have never been there at all.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I think the problem with a volunteer army is that Americans are likely to tune out.

I do not hear people talking about the war. I do not here people expressing any interest in educating themselves about the situation.

I think a draft mobilizes the electorate and personlizes the situation. Without the draft, it is so easy to dismiss it saying, "They Volunteered".
Right. I think part of Rangel's motivation is to scare people into educating themselves and getting a dialogue going, because damnit this country needs it.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
She's the One

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Right. I think part of Rangel's motivation is to scare people into educating themselves and getting a dialogue going, because damnit this country needs it.
Be careful what you wish for.

He may just get his draft.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

The draft is bullshit and that's all there is to it.

You DO NOT force someone to risk their life against their will. If you do, you might as well put a gun to that someone's head and pull the trigger yourself.

I don't see why anyone thinks this bill will ever go anywhere - it would be political suicide for most senators to vote in favor of a draft.