Senator Kerry: Personal beliefs vs. legislation - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2004, 10:19 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
That is not only a lot of money to feed and house him, he has a life! He can watch TV, play ball, get online, interact with loved ones.
See, that's stupid. He should be left in jail with no privileges whatsoever. He committed a heinous crime, he's in jail to be punished.

Quote:
It's also a danger because if he escaped, he'd do it again, he's already said he would! There have been cases of mass murderers breaking out. They are usually caught again, but think, why would they hesitate to killl again?
The solution to this is life imprisonment without any possiblity of parole. Murderers, rapists, molesters, people along that line, all of them should get this sentence. It boggles my mind that people like Charles Manson keep being eligible for parole. Why? We don't want them back out!

And the jails should be as tight as they can possibly be security-wise and such so that the chances of a criminal escaping are at least insanely slim, if not nil.

Angela

Old 07-10-2004, 10:38 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:20 PM
My view on prison is more in line with rehabilitation. Punishment has been proven to not really deter criminals from committing future crimes, but, with that, I'm not saying that they should be treated lightly. There should be constructive activities towards their rehabilitation, such as reeducation or a military-style behavioral regiment. There is that old saying about "idle hands," and that's really somewhat of a problem: they do have too much time to be idle. Prison should be less about punishment and more about massive reeducation, because most criminals are not going to be put to death. They will be released after their sentence is complete, and if you "punish" them too harshly, then what do you expect them to do after they get out of prison? Get revenge. But if you actively foster an environment for rehabilitation--and I'm not talking "touchy-feely" kind of rehab, but an active "reeducation" facility with strict discipline and educational opportunities, I think that many would bite. Of course, there will be those who are resistant, and that's what solitary confinement is for.

Melon

Old 07-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #138
War Child

Local Time: 01:20 AM
I'm all for rehabilitating if possible but unfortunately some people are destined to be career criminals who never learn. But I am not for the death penalty for any but the most extreme cases, like the sniper who did it on purpose and still brags, serial killers, mass murderers, and especially those who kidnap, torture and kill children. There is no rehabilitation for someone who has done such terrible things, and even if they claim to be I'd never trust them, and again, they don't deserve a life. And they don't deserve TV and privileges in jail! Even without parole, they can still escape, or even kill other inmates or guards. These things have happened. Some people really are too far gone.

Another thing about rehabilitation is that once someone is branded a criminal most people will never hire them and society will never accept them again. It depends on what they did. Most who commit violent crimes will do it again. Robbers and drug dealers can change if they want to and have a different life that does not require such ways to earn money. Drug users. why are they in jail anyway?? They are taking up space and costing money. I say, let them out and send them to rehabilitation classes. Or just let them vegitate on the couch for the rest of their lives as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #139
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

It boggles my mind that people like Charles Manson keep being eligible for parole. Why? We don't want them back out!
Because of your dear no death penalty laws. In California (at the time Manson was jailed) and NY and WIS, the most anyone can get is 25 years in jail, no matter what they did! That's why Manson and Chapman keep coming back up for parole. If they don't make it once, they can try again and again. In Wisconsin, Jeffrey Dahmer the murderer/cannibal was killed in the weight room by another inmate who became insane and believed he was Christ and was sent to rid the world of Dahmer.

Quote:
And the jails should be as tight as they can possibly be security-wise and such so that the chances of a criminal escaping are at least insanely slim, if not nil.

Angela
You can never say never.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #140
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:20 PM
This thread got interesting once I went to bed lol. I just wanted to say 2 things to Moonlit_Angel and Mrs Edge. Angela, I didn't read this whole thread until after I replied (bad I know lol) and was asking from a comment you'd made on page 2 or 3 and used the term 'changing her mind' as I didn't want to incorrectly imply you believe in abortion as an option at any stage of pregnancy. I misunderstood from not having read your previous comments.
Mrs Edge, same again. I hadn't read it and wasn't too clear. Perhaps it is rather puritanical and it's fair of you to say so. I know birth control is not always guaranteed just like all sexually active individuals taking complete responsibility is not. Aiming for that though, is what I'd rather see, than having abortion as a choice it might be in certain circumstances. I wasn't referring to those who have extenuating and tragic circumstances.
I'm also glad your parents decided to keep you.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
It's perfectly all right ^^^^. . I'm glad you asked, 'cause it never hurts to clear up everything regarding a person's stance on an issue to avoid any assumptions later on. So now you know for sure. .

Quote:
Because of your dear no death penalty laws. In California (at the time Manson was jailed) and NY and WIS, the most anyone can get is 25 years in jail, no matter what they did! That's why Manson and Chapman keep coming back up for parole. If they don't make it once, they can try again and again. In Wisconsin, Jeffrey Dahmer the murderer/cannibal was killed in the weight room by another inmate who became insane and believed he was Christ and was sent to rid the world of Dahmer.
And again, I think that's stupid. Life imprisonment should mean just that-stuck in jail the rest of your life. Not "stuck in jail for 25 years, and then coming up for parole".

Besides, the death penalty isn't a deterrant, anyway. Texas has it, and their crime rate is one of the higher ones in the country. Iowa, on the other hand, doesn't have the death penalty, they have life imprisonment (and they actually do mean life imprisonment with that), and their crime rate is a lot lower.

Quote:
You can never say never.
And that's why I said "insanely slim, if not nil". Besides, a lot of the time, from the stories I've heard on TV about criminals escaping, they were able to do so because of really poor monitoring on the part of the people running the place, or some really stupid reason as to why the criminal was let out or something. If we can fix all that, and keep the jails really tightly secured, then it should be highly unlikely a criminal will have a chance to get out.

Quote:
Most who commit violent crimes will do it again. Robbers and drug dealers can change if they want to and have a different life that does not require such ways to earn money. Drug users. why are they in jail anyway?? They are taking up space and costing money. I say, let them out and send them to rehabilitation classes. Or just let them vegitate on the couch for the rest of their lives as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves.
This whole part I agree with you completely on. .

Angela
Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #142
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's absolutely amazing where this thread went...
Old 07-11-2004, 01:27 AM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:20 PM
FYI, Charles Manson's death sentence was commuted to life in prison when the death penalty laws were declared unconstitutional in the 1970s by the Supreme Court. That's why he comes up for parole, but guess what? The system works; he's too nuts to ever get recommended for parole.

Melon
Old 07-11-2004, 08:21 AM   #144
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Besides, the death penalty isn't a deterrant, anyway. Texas has it, and their crime rate is one of the higher ones in the country. Iowa, on the other hand, doesn't have the death penalty, they have life imprisonment (and they actually do mean life imprisonment with that), and their crime rate is a lot lower.

Angela
No offense to Texas, but it is a much larger state with a much higher and more diverse population than Iowa. Naturally there is less crime in Iowa, most of the upper midwest is like that, the Dakotas especially.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #145
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'm also glad your parents decided to keep you. [/B]
Awww, thanks!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:17 PM   #146
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's absolutely amazing where this thread went...
that's a rather positive version of what I was going to post

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa