Senator Clinton Defends Faith Based Solutions - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Senator Clinton Defends Faith Based Solutions

Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...atives?mode=PF

Old 01-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Very positive comments

Hillary knows how to get red state votes

Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
With respect, I don't know how unusual these comments are for Democrats, outside of a very vocal minority of church-state separatists. A lot of Democrats go to church, too.

If I could correct just one slander about Democrats, it would be that we see the government as the solution to all of society's ills. It's just not true. This is a natural issue for Democrats - using government money to augment the efforts of those trying to alleviate social injustice. It's perfectly consistent with the view of the government not as simply an ally in fighting injustice, not an enemy to be dreaded and feared.

By that same token, if I could correct just one hypocrisy on the right, it's that they are constantly preaching the evils of government spending. But once discussion turns towards giving that money to churches, they can't get in line fast enough.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Very positive comments

and stop inroads to dem base

inner city churches and synagogues

gotta love a politician
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Of course she is supporting them, the Dems have to embrace faith matters to get into the White House again. I think she'll run.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Hillary isn't stupid. But as a liberal myself, she isn't my first pick as our next nominee. As you guys probably know, I'm a practicing Catholic, and I certainly do not oppose the churches getting involved in social services. In fact, I am active with my church's Altar Sodality, we cook for elderly parishioners, also for families who've just had babies because while that's a joyous occasion it's also really difficult. I've had negative experiences with some church people, there are a few bad apples, like the idiot politician here in Alabama who wants to ban books about gay *anything*. As a library worker I don't like this. I guess the question is, where do you draw the line? I'm not sure.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
With respect, I don't know how unusual these comments are for Democrats, outside of a very vocal minority of church-state separatists. A lot of Democrats go to church, too.
My comment was not to suggest that Democrats are godless heathens.

As with many issues, a party's plank tends to diverge from the other party's position. If the GOP supports faith based charity, Pelosi & company go the other way.

It happens in a politics first society such as ours. (and yes, both side do the same thing)
Old 01-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:14 PM
I hope this means that Hillary will move the dems in the right direction or help them get the right perception, depending on how you look at it. I think their party is in need of a less secular appeal. Support for faith-based programs is a good place to start.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I hope this means that Hillary will move the dems in the right direction or help them get the right perception, depending on how you look at it. I think their party is in need of a less secular appeal. Support for faith-based programs is a good place to start.
Gosh, I've never liked the idea of Hillary as our candidate, but she's onto something here. I do recall that back in 1992 her husband got alot of NASCAR mom and dad type votes around here. I remember those letters they wrote that were printed in the newspapers. Yeah, if the Democrats can't get those voters back, they've got a problem. I don't know what to think of the people here. Two members threatened to sue each other in a dispute over supporting Kucinich. That was a wild one.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I think that it would be a pity if both major parties moved into areas of faith.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
You mean closer to a theocracy?

Our government by design is secular. There is a way to hold on to your moral and spriritual foundation with out bringing religion into your government.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

You mean closer to a theocracy?

Our government by design is secular. There is a way to hold on to your moral and spriritual foundation with out bringing religion into your government.
Why do you seem so opposed to faith-based programs that could make a difference in somebody overcoming an addiction? Aren't democrats supposed to support humanity by all means?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that it would be a pity if both major parties moved into areas of faith.
It has its risks, to be sure. I think some people exaggerate about the beliefs of our Founding Fathers, there's a famous picture of Benjamin Franklin getting his grandkid blessed by Voltaire. Someone around here was a big fan of Voltaire's, was it you? Don't mean to highjack the thread, just curious, I like the guy too. Damn this virus, I'm getting myself in trouble for sure.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I wouldn't say a big fan, I think the issue that I have is that if both major parties are moving in that direction they may drive eachother even furthur.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

They might compete for that dubious distinction. This stuff is complicated and there aren't any simple answers.