Sen Kennedy Accuses Bush Of "Bribes" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Sen Kennedy Accuses Bush Of "Bribes"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...kennedy_iraq_1

"Kennedy said a recent report by the Congressional Budget Office showed that only about $2.5 billion of the $4 billion being spent monthly on the war can be accounted for by the Bush administration.

"My belief is this money is being shuffled all around to these political leaders in all parts of the world, bribing them to send in troops," he said "

Old 09-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Ah, to be the untouchable Kennedy. Spouting off inflammatory comments, couched as "my belief," does nothing except whip the Bush haters into a frenzy.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

How much did they offer (bribe) Turkey for Iraq support?

It was very overt.

It is a "coalition of the bought"
Old 09-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 AM
They did offer Turkey an aid package. However, the Turkish Grand National Assembly voted against letting the U.S. using Turkish airspace and bases for the war. They forfeited the aid package when they did this. Now the situation is a little different. The proposal is to send the Turks to western Iraq where there are no Kurds in view of the ancient enmity between Turks and Kurds. I do not think they are bribing the Turkish officials. If you want to make accusations like that you'd better be able to prove them.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Verte76,

Thats a very good point. The Turks forfeited that aid. I understand Ted Kennedy's political stance, but this was a bit of a surprise coming from even him.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Verte76,

Thats a very good point. The Turks forfeited that aid. I understand Ted Kennedy's political stance, but this was a bit of a surprise coming from even him.
It's quite a bold statement. But really kind of tame compared to what Hans Blix said about the Bush and Blair administrations today.

The whole "fraud" thing aside - I for one would like to know where 1.5 billion dollars of our tax money is "dissapearing" to every month.

Old 09-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm not surprised of any statements coming from Hans Blix, being hard on man like Saddam was not his #1 priority.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that it is *not* cool that this money is disappearing, if that's the case. To prove the point, however, it would have been better if the report had been released to the public. Although I do not support Bush, I would want some evidence that the Administration is indeed making this mistake, and not just a claim by someone from the other side of the aisle.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
They did offer Turkey an aid package. .

Fine, call it an aid package.

Countries that cooperated got money.
Those that did not got punished.

I guess if those people in Africa dying of aids would just join the coaltion Bush would give them the 3 billion he promised.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:00 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Feb. 16, 2003, 12:41PM

U.S. presents to Turkey $26 billion aid package

Offer expanded to secure its support

Reuters News Service
WASHINGTON -- The United States is offering Turkey an expanded aid package that includes about $6 billion in grants and up to $20 billion in loan guarantees to secure Ankara's support in a possible invasion of Iraq, sources familiar with the offer said Saturday.

President Bush met with Turkish Foreign Minister Yasar Yakis and others at the White House on Friday, but U.S. and Turkish negotiators have yet to strike a deal that would allow American forces to use Turkish bases as a springboard for an invasion of Iraq from the north.

On top of an estimated $6 billion in grants that would be provided to Turkey in the event of a war, the Bush administration is offering backing for up to $20 billion in loans that Ankara could secure through private banks.

As a condition for U.S. backing, Washington is demanding that the loans fall under the terms of Turkey's program with the International Monetary Fund.

It is unclear whether Ankara will accept the offer, which has ballooned in recent days. ....
Old 09-18-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Deep,

Every President of every US administration since the begining of the USA has at somepoint, used monetary aid to gain help for something political.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Let's push Kennedy aside....

I mean...let's get a fork lift and remove him from this topic.

OBM is reporting the figures. Where is the money going? What has happened to it? Don't let Kennedy's diarrhea of the mouth take us off track. Fact is a Governement office is saying money is disappearing.

WHere is it?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I remember when they did that deep. The problem was that most of the Turkish people opposed the war. Not that they liked Saddam, but the first Gulf War, which Turkey participated in, was terrible for the Turkish economy. They share a border with Iraq and lost alot of trade. Their economy has been weak lately and there was grumbling about the effect of a war on their economy. Thus the offered aid. The Turks didn't want the $$ enough to change their position on the war. Thus, the Grand National Assembly voted against accepting it. Now that there has been a war, Turkey has a vested interested in stability in Iraq, thus their willingness to at least talk about sending troops into some part of "Sunni Corner" in Iraq as they are also mostly Sunni Moslems and understand Islamic culture and traditions better than Western people do.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

OBM is reporting the figures. Where is the money going? What has happened to it? Don't let Kennedy's diarrhea of the mouth take us off track. Fact is a Governement office is saying money is disappearing.

WHere is it?
Good point Dread. Screw Kennedy's remark. I must admit that that confused me, what with the bribery accusation. Where in the hell is this $$??
Old 09-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

WHere is it?
Exactly! I expect to hear things like this from the other party to stir things up and take it with a grain of salt, but the money thing REALLY is disturbing. But this is so typical of what has been going on the last couple years. People seem afraid to not just to criticize this administration, but to even ask the simple question like what the hell are you doing with 1.5 billion tax dollars a month? I'm tired of huge issues like this being swept under the carpet and brushed off as nothing.