Sen Kennedy Accuses Bush Of "Bribes"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
I think he's done some great work as a Senator also. This comment wasn't part of that. It's no good to accuse other leaders of taking bribes. Still, yes, everyone makes mistakes.

Like leaving a party with a woman not your wife driving off a bridge disappearing and then returning?

He should have been in jail for that!

Sorry, the man is not his brothers....one of which I have respect for.

It wouldn't really be bribes anyway. Countries don't do favours, they do deals. It's the fact that the Bush govt dress them up as 'great friends who love freedom fighting against the evildoers' that is funny, like all these countries have these great teary eyed morals, because most are doing in exchange for something, cash or aid or trade or military training or help in some issue of their own or something.

The fact that they are doing a 'deal' in itself shoudln't be an issue, because that's what every country on earth does. But I guess if they are asking for 87 billion from the taxpayer they should explain what it's for.

Dreadsox said:

Like leaving a party with a woman not your wife driving off a bridge disappearing and then returning?

He should have been in jail for that!

Sorry, the man is not his brothers....one of which I have respect for.

He's not one of my favorite Democrats, actually. I'm disgusted that my local peace council is supporting this "bribery" statement. Ugh.:censored: :censored: :censored:

Dreadsox said:
Let's push Kennedy aside....

I mean...let's get a fork lift and remove him from this topic.

OBM is reporting the figures. Where is the money going? What has happened to it? Don't let Kennedy's diarrhea of the mouth take us off track. Fact is a Governement office is saying money is disappearing.

WHere is it?

lets not get nasty here. ted kennedy has had a respectable career besides his obvious flaws. why else would he have been elected sen. for the past 41 years?

U2andPolitix said:
lets not get nasty here. ted kennedy has had a respectable career besides his obvious flaws. why else would he have been elected sen. for the past 41 years?

In some areas and for some politicians, there is blind devotion to the "D" or the "R".

U2andPolitix said:

I am sorry.....

He is accusing the President of bribing foreign officials.

I figure the bribery that took place here in the State of Massachusetts was open game since it allowed him to get off scot free for manslaughter.

I wouldn't call the Turkey deal "bribery" although I had plenty of questions about the wisdom of it. They offered the $$ to Turkey pretty overtly; Condoleeza Rice talked to the Turks about it in public. That was a big-ass offer, $31 billion! The Turks were griping about their economy and how another Iraq war would really screw it up more. Like I've said the Turks forfeited the deal when the Grand National Assembly voted against letting the U.S. use their airspace. Soon the Turkish Grand National Assembly will be voting on whether or not to send troops to postwar Iraq. That will be interesting.

I find this pretty funny. Everyone knows that we have offered "aid packages" and "economic incentives" to countries to try and win their support in Iraq. This is a fact. So one guy comes out and calls it a bribe. So what is the definition of a bribe? Let's take a look at our dictionaries folks:

Bribe -
1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
2. Something serving to influence or persuade

Seems right to me.

Is any aid package given as a true gift?

With appologies to a fellow poster:

If a Democrat offers an aid package = compassionate humanitarian

If a Republican offers an aid package = bribe

Nice logic :up:

nbcrusader said:
Is any aid package given as a true gift?

With appologies to a fellow poster:

If a Democrat offers an aid package = compassionate humanitarian

If a Republican offers an aid package = bribe

Nice logic :up:

No, I'm saying given by either political party, you could call it an "economic incentive" or a bribe if they are asking for something in return. I would call it the same thing if a Democrat did it, because I have always seen situations like the Turkey deal a bribe. That's why I don't see the big deal, I thought everyone already knew that's what we were doing.

I would say an aid package that is a gift is the 15 billion Bush has pledged for AIDS in Africa.

Back
Top Bottom