Sen. Edward Kennedy has a brain tumor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
capt.cps.nff48.180508200623.photo00.photo.default-512x397.jpg

Malignant gliomas are a type of brain cancer diagnosed in about 9,000 Americans a year — and the most common type among adults. It's a starting diagnosis: How well patients fare depends on what specific tumor type is determined by further testing.

Average survival can range from less than a year for very advanced and aggressive types — such as glioblastomas — or to about five years for different types that are slower growing.

Too much cell phone ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_go_co/kennedy

I have a friend that had a brain tumor the size of a 'grapefruit' in her head when she was in her 30s.

She survived that quite well. She is in her 40s now. She has had some "minor" relapses.

deep said:

Too much cell phone ?

My father died of a brain tumor in 1998. In a Virginia hospital the doctor told us that they are not really sure what causes brain cancer. It could be many things that trigger the onset.

It is a horrible disease.

Prayers for Senator Kennedy and family.

deep said:

Too much cell phone ?

Or you know, he's just old.

Very sad news. He has done a lot in his lifetime. I do hope he gets to see the new year.

Obama:

Well, keep in mind that – I think you can argue that I would not be sitting here as a presidential candidate had it not been for some of the battles that Ted Kennedy has fought. So not only is he a personal friend, not only has been one of my most important supporters during the course of this campaign. But he is somebody who battled for voting rights and civil rights when I was a child. I stand on his shoulders...

I've had several benign brain and spine tumors and expect to have more due to an inherited neurological disorder I have. I've never had a cell phone, smoked, or eaten an unhealthy diet. Very few brain tumor types, benign or malignant, have known links to any of the usual suspects. Perhaps some verifiable links will be discovered in the future, but as always, there's no lifestyle regimen that can inoculate you against plain old bad luck.

Several articles have speculated that the fact that Kennedy's doctors apparently aren't recommending brain surgery may be a grim sign, since despite its risks, surgical removal of this tumor type almost always yields a better prognosis than radiation and chemo alone. I hope they are wrong and he is able to beat the odds. As iron horse said, any terminal condition that afflicts the brain is a horrible way to go, for both the sick person and their family.

I wish your friend the best of luck deep.

deep said:

Too much cell phone ?

I've had 2 co-workers die of the same type of brain tumour. They sat next to each other. Work had the office checked out for radiation etc but apparently found nothing out of the ordinary. Nasty, nasty disease :(

Well, maybe Mary Jo will finally see justice served. How he was not held accountable for her death, is beyond me.

And yes he has done some good things...and yes his family has suffered...but her death and lack of punishment for the crime disgusts me.

And no I do not wish the suffering of cancer on anyone.

^ I would not wish a brain tumor on my worst enemy. My father in law had a brain tumor and suffered for 2 years before he passed away. Its a slow and degrading path.

Dreadsox said:
Well, maybe Mary Jo will finally see justice served. How he was not held accountable for her death, is beyond me.

And yes he has done some good things...and yes his family has suffered...but her death and lack of punishment for the crime disgusts me.

If you do not wish it on anyone, why would you say it is justice? No one would defend Kennedy for what he did in 1968, it is a damn shame the laws on drunk driving were not tighter back then. Murder, rape, then drunk driving in my book. However, this is not the place to bring that up, not today.

I live in MA, know Ted, flaws and all, and while I do not agree with him on everything and would not have wanted him to be President, we literally would not have medicare, medicaid, student loans, job training programs, childrens health care, voting rights for blacks, competition in railroads, trucking and airlines, and a federal sentencing guidelines system if it was not for Ted Kennedy's work and advocacy over his time in the Senate. I hope and pray for the best.

If you do not wish it on anyone, why would you say it is justice? No one would defend Kennedy for what he did in 1968, it is a damn shame the laws on drunk driving were not tighter back then. Murder, rape, then drunk driving in my book. However, this is not the place to bring that up, not today.

I live in MA, know Ted, flaws and all, and while I do not agree with him on everything and would not have wanted him to be President, we literally would not have medicare, medicaid, student loans, job training programs, childrens health care, voting rights for blacks, competition in railroads, trucking and airlines, and a federal sentencing guidelines system if it was not for Ted Kennedy's work and advocacy over his time in the Senate. I hope and pray for the best.

*Elevation

MODERATOR!!

Or you know, he's just old.

True, but then you hear about young people with very bad cancers too.

Knowing the nature of mitosis and mutation, I can't help but wonder if it just boils down to bad luck in many cases. It's like winning a lottery that you wish you'd never win, and there's probably nothing one could have done to prevent it. As you get older, your chances of "winning" just get higher, because you've been playing the game of life longer.

:hmm:

I say justice, because it will not be long before he meets his maker. So yes, justice.

I do not wish the suffering, but, he certainly has never been held accountable for his behavior.

^ I would not wish a brain tumor on my worst enemy. My father in law had a brain tumor and suffered for 2 years before he passed away. Its a slow and degrading path.

Guurently my aunt and two friends have brain tumors. I am aware of the suffering. Not wishing suffering on him. See above.

It's very sad news, but if anyone can beat it he can. He has done many good things for many people. Every human being has done things he/she has never been held accountable for, to greater or lesser degrees. When they get cancer I don't see how that's in any way relevant. God will judge.

He went out sailing yesterday, I hope he had some peace there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom