Sen. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Springsteen (D-NJ)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Posted on Fri, Nov. 11, 2005
Bruce ready to run (for Senate)?

DEMOCRATS IN New Jersey have a big problem.
Sure, Sen. Jon Corzine's easy election as governor on Tuesday was their latest win in the increasingly blue state.

But Corzine's first decision when he takes office in January is a real doozy — appointing a Democrat to fill the last 11 months of his term and likely run for a full six-year term next November.

But most of the obvious choices reek of political hackery, even by Jersey standards. U.S. Rep. Robert Menendez, most often mentioned, is weighed down by ties to machine politics. And the others — South Jersey U.S. Rep. Rob Andrews, U.S. Rep. Rush Holt, and acting governor Richard Codey — are seriously lacking in star power.

In fact, you could say that Corzine's choice is like a highway jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive.

Any of them would have a tough time defeating the up-and-coming golden boy of Garden State politics with that unbeatable family name, Republican state Sen. Tom Kean Jr., the ex-governor's son.

Nationally, the Dems must hold New Jersey if they have any hope of regaining the Senate, but to do that they will need to find someone from outside the bland political tried-and-true.

New Jersey's new senator should be — and could be — a person who has demonstrated, over a lifetime, a commitment to social causes and to those in need.

Corzine can choose a person who advocates causes that are unpopular but just — someone who spoke out, for example, in favor of the Dixie Chicks and free speech on the eve of the Iraq war.

In January, Corzine could pick someone whose compassion for the victims and survivors of 9/11 is unparalleled, yet who realized the insanity of the Iraq war from Day One, and was not afraid to risk his considerable reputation in opposing it.

Yes, he'd be another millionaire — but a self-made one, someone who can speak to blue-collar voters and can relate to minorities, in spite of his own personal success.

Corzine should appoint Bruce Springsteen to the U.S. States Senate.

Crazy? No more so than an Austrian-born action-film star running California, a pro wrestler in Minnesota's statehouse, or an Irish rocker in line for the Nobel Peace Prize.

The downside is small. In fact, most politicians should want their personal life as clean as that of Springsteen, who says he's never used drugs and whose one "mistake" in life — quickly jettisoning a first marriage to raise a family with the woman he truly loved — isn't much of a mistake.

In 1992, a group of Ross Perot acolytes urged Springsteen to run for the Senate as an outsider. The Boss laughed it off. But a lot has changed in the last 13 years.

Back then, he was a musical artist wary of being co-opted by any politician. But in 2004, he was one of a handful of folks who — sizing up the threat posed by four more years of President Bush to the country he loves — stepped up to the plate, or, as he might say, tried to make it on a stand.

And now, at age 56, with his musical legacy established and his own kids growing up, he might be convinced to stake out a new direction, for the good of the U.S.A.

This time, Bruce, don't let the screen door slam.

www.philly.com

[/q]

I am moving to DC and becoming the oldest Senate intern if that happens

Just call me Monica :wink: :wink: :wink:

He will be on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend, maybe they'll ask him about that. I'd much rather have him still making music and touring though..

I don't see this happening. I think it's all just wild rumor and speculation. Just because he campaigned for Kerry doesn't mean he's running for political office.

If it did happen though, I might also move to DC and become a Senate intern. :wink:

To add to a previous statement of mine somewhere in here, let gays, women and rock stars run the damn country. :angry:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't think bruce wants his connections to jim mcgreevy being made public...

:eyebrow:

do tell ...

(and i'll tell you the real reason behind the break of of Brad/Jen)

Irvine511 said:
(and i'll tell you the real reason behind the break of of Brad/Jen)

This is so much juicier than all this FYM shit.

Spill. :wink:

anitram said:

once i get my dirt on bruche from Headache, then i'll give you my hollywood gossip.

i'm also out for the rest of the weekend.

so y'll have to wait until monday.

springsteen was a big supporter of former governor mcgreevey, who also happened to be one of the most corrupt governors the state of new jersey has ever had, involved in scandle after scandle. if the boss runs for the senate, you can be assured this will be used against him.

aw, and i thought it had something to do with, like, a group of bodybuilding isreali hustlers or something.

okay, the *real* reason for the brad and jen break up was not brad's being totally powerless to maneater/homewrecker angelina jolie's charms as she assumed her rightful place as one half of the world's hottest couple.

no.

my "in the biz" sources tell me that the marriage was on the outs well before angelina, and that jen has a great big coke problem and brad had been trying to get her to quit and with no luck. so, he basically left her.

springsteen was a big supporter of former governor mcgreevey, who also happened to be one of the most corrupt governors the state of new jersey has ever had, involved in scandle after scandle. if the boss runs for the senate, you can be assured this will be used against him.

:rolleyes:

I knew you were going to bring this up.

Do you honestly think this would make a difference? Unless he was involved in the corruption himself, it won't mean shit.

martha said:

:hmm: Did I want that picture in my head or not?

Nope. I didn't. :|

But it's now permanently etched in your brain! :D

...unfortunately, it's permanently etched in mine also. :|

Back in 2002, there was a petition going around Jersey to enlist Springsteen for a U.S. Senate bid, and this was his response:

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected I will not serve," Springsteen said, repeating the famous 1884 quote from U.S. General William Tecumseh Sherman when he refused the GOP nomination for president.

So, it ain't happening...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:rolleyes:

I knew you were going to bring this up.

Do you honestly think this would make a difference? Unless he was involved in the corruption himself, it won't mean shit.

i like bruce springsteen... seen him in concert multiple times, i like his music, i respect his political activisim.

that said... if you don't think having connections to corrupt politicians holds any weight in political elections, well... i don't know what to tell ya'.

sometimes the candidate is such a strong one that he/she over-comes connections with shady characters... sometimes these connections cause their campaigns to stumble and even collapse.

what would happen if springsteen ran? :shrug: i have no idea.

but i'm not expecting to ever find out.

that said... if you don't think having connections to corrupt politicians holds any weight in political elections, well... i don't know what to tell ya'.

Right, but first you claim he was a big supporter, now you are claiming connections...

Many politicians have supported the corrupt in their past and got elected, but unless it goes beyond just support then no I don't think it means shit.

If Bruce wasn't involved, and all he did was support the canidate, there's no way of knowing about corruption...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

To you, or to a campaign?

Just a quick glance at the threads here shows that factual connection and personal involvement isn't required to attack a politician's character.

Back
Top Bottom