Sen. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Springsteen (D-NJ)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

To you, or to a campaign?

Just a quick glance at the threads here shows that factual connection and personal involvement isn't required to attack a politician's character.

And previous elections will show that you could support racists, corruption, sexism, etc and still get elected.

Oh what does any of that matter, he'd still look better in a pair of jeans at age 56 + than any Senator has ever looked or ever will look

thank you and good night

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And previous elections will show that you could support racists, corruption, sexism, etc and still get elected.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Right, but first you claim he was a big supporter, now you are claiming connections...

Many politicians have supported the corrupt in their past and got elected, but unless it goes beyond just support then no I don't think it means shit.

If Bruce wasn't involved, and all he did was support the canidate, there's no way of knowing about corruption...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
sometimes the candidate is such a strong one that he/she over-comes connections with shady characters... sometimes these connections cause their campaigns to stumble and even collapse.

and sometimes people just take bits and pieces of what someone else said and ignore the rest

Get a Load of This! N.J. Seeks New Slogan

By JOHN CURRAN, Associated Press WriterMon Nov 14

Make us a slogan we can't refuse, the state of New Jersey said. We got your slogan right here, the people replied.

A push to come up with a new slogan for the Garden State has become an excuse to crack New Jersey jokes. Among the not-so-serious entries:

"New Jersey: You Got a Problem With That?"

"NJ: How You Doin'?!"

And "Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted."

The search yielded nearly 6,200 possibilities in all, many of them attempts to sum up the land of Bruce Springsteen, "The Sopranos" and smelly interstates in one pithy phrase. The deadline for submissions was Monday.

"We're really pleased with the response and proud that New Jersey residents take so much pride in their state," said Kelley Heck, a spokeswoman for acting Gov. Richard J. Codey.

The program began last month after Codey rejected a consultant's recommendation — "New Jersey: We'll Win You Over" — as too negative. That slogan, developed as part of a $260,000 contract by global image consultants Lippincott Mercer, was shelved a day before it was to be unveiled.

Instead, the state opened the process to the public, establishing a Web site and telephone hot line to receive suggestions, which included the lyrical ("The Ocean, The Motion, The Magic") along with the satirical.

New Jersey, which once used "New Jersey and You: Perfect Together," has not had a new marketing slogan in four years. "Get Away, Without Going Far Away" has been used in the interim, but tourism officials say it does not resonate with out-of-staters.

"We have the opportunity to craft a new message for our tourist literature to reflect the pride we have in our many parks, open spaces, farmlands, quaint villages, boardwalks and beaches and our exciting cities," Codey implored would-be slogan writers on the Web site.

The governor and the state Commerce, Economic Growth and Tourism Commission will "pare down the suggestions and go from there," said Karen Wolfe, a commission spokeswoman.

The state's musical legacy — Frank Sinatra called New Jersey home, Springsteen still does — led one person to suggest "From Ol' Blue Eyes to the Boss: Jersey Is Singing Your Song." Another entry: "Born to Fun."

Others found New Jersey's reputation for mobsters, toxic waste sites and lowbrow taste fair game. "Bada Bing! Choose New Jersey" was one suggestion.

The campaign was run by the state, but newspaper columnists, talk radio and "Saturday Night Live" got into the spirit, too.

"New Jersey: It Always Smells Like This," one Philadelphia Inquirer reader suggested. "New Jersey: Come Glow With Us," another said.

Codey and his staff will evaluate the slogan proposals and within two weeks pick five or 10 that will be put to a public vote, perhaps in the same way the suggestions were collected.

The governor, who is filling an unexpired term, expects to announce the new slogan by the time he leaves office in January, Heck said.

fact of the matter is that new jersey is and has been one of the most corrupt states in the union. springsteen knows this... heck, half of his songs are about the decay and decadence of new jersey. it's not called the arm pit of america only because of it's shape...

the soprano's may be a tv show... but there is some basis behind it. after all... when organized crime was driven out of new york, where the heck do ya think they all went? idaho?

it is a senator's position... so i guess that would make the odds a little better than if he were rumored to be running for governor or something... but i still doubt bruce wants an part of direct involvement in new jersey politics. he can still yell from the outside... when he's on the inside, he's got no one to yell at anymore but himself.

and songs about fillibuster's just don't sell.

... but i still doubt bruce wants an part of direct involvement in new jersey politics. he can still yell from the outside... when he's on the inside, he's got no one to yell at anymore but himself.

agreed. i admire the heck out of Bruce, and his politics for the most part, and at this stage in life he's really got little to lose -- his legacy is established, so why not do something more concrete rather than simply (and eloquently, and compassionately) give voice to the Jersey underclass, those who suffer most from "the runaway American Dream," by going into politics?

because he'd probably be more effective as an activist than as a politician.

this is one of the few times where i think Bruce should study from Bono's playbook.

I think Bruce should just do whatever the heck he wants to do. He's 56 years old, he doesn't have to give a crap what anyone thinks he should do anymore.

I have always regarded him as being a man of the utmost integrity, whereas politics has precious little integrity.

i think everyone should just do whatever the heck they want to do... doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

I didn't say you couldn't discuss it, IT'S JUST MY OPINION for crying out loud.

You don't like Bruce and you don't like me, and I don't care :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I didn't say you couldn't discuss it, IT'S JUST MY OPINION for crying out loud.

You don't like Bruce and you don't like me, and I don't care :shrug:

thanks for that... i'm glad i can't reply to anything you friggin post without you thinking i have some vendetta against you.

frankly, i could really care less.

and for your information, as i've posted many times already... i do, in fact, like bruce springsteen very much, have seen him in concert multiple times, and will certainly go to see him the next time he tours with the e street.

just because i admire a man's music doesn't mean i have to blindly follow every move he makes. i'm allowed my opinion too.

I didn't say you have to "blindly follow" him, I don't do that but if that's what you want to think....frankly you do seize on every possible opportunity you can create to single out my posts and infer things from them that aren't even there, perhaps to create an argument or whatever, I don't know. It does create the impression of a "vendetta" whether that's your intention or not. I never said you're not allowed your opinion, but you're not allowed to unfairly twist my posts to fit your agenda. Sorry.

I'm just tired of it..I don't have to "blindly follow" you either :shrug:

look to be as blunt as i can, i could care less that you're the one who made the first post.

it's just ironic that your opinions happen to be exact opposites as mine in a lot of cases. it's nothing against you... i don't know you, i don't care. it's funny though how you don't get pissed off at me in the few posts where we actually agree on things. then i'm not trolling around following you... only when i disagree am i doing that.

but it seems as if anytime i post my opinion, which tends to be opposite of yours, you think it's because i have something against you personally and i'm just going around looking to start some BS with YOU. trust me... don't give yourself that much credit. i have nothing against you on a personal level because i don't know you.

so if i come into a thread and i state an opinion that's opposite of yours? it's because it's my opinion... not because you started the thread. trust me on that one.

I don't give myself that much credit, neither should you though.

You nitpick on me (just like your silly nitpicking about the Red Sox) and it gets on my nerves, that's all. I don't care that your opinions are opposite from mine and I don't care either. Trust me on that one.

trust me... i don't give myself any credit.

but in this little silly tiff, the only one who brings up anybody personaly is you bringing up me. all i do is argue ideas.

but we're wasting both of our times right now... if you wish to continue, feel free to e-mail me.

and as for the red sox? i am allowed to have a strong dislike for a team... this is sports, after all. but i'll save those rants for put 'em under pressure.

Last edited:
I'm not bringing up you personally, I'm bringing up what you post and the way you post it. There's a difference between having an opinion and taking it to the point where you're begrudging me and other Red Sox fans having fun over Bono wearing a Red Sox shirt, or making a :censored: issue over a Letterman top ten list, to the point where it drives someone out of a particular forum. Between having a strong dislike for a team and making it personal where it becomes annoying and quite repetitive..and yes, personal. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt -just like you bringing up Gov McGreevey and Bruce again..once again, I'm not saying you don't have the right to say that, but it's simply I GET IT.

You don't seem to want to acknowledge that difference, so there's no point in discussing it further, here or in private.

Last edited:
i'm glad you get it... perhaps others do not. what the hell? i mean come on now... how do you bring up a discussion of current day politics in new jersey and not bring up mcgreevey? it's like discussing current politics in the united states and not bringing up bush.

both issues you're discussing are two way streets, but you only want to see the one way.

you can poke little jokes about the yankees, but i respond with a joke about the red sox and i'm being an asshole. you can talk about springsteen maybe running for office, and i bring up corruption in new jersey politics, and i'm being an asshole.

so fine... i'm an asshole then. i'm ok with that.

hey guys, can you please take this offline to PM or email? I'm not aware of the history of events between you but I'm sure that it is better discusses in private. Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom