Sen Boxer official signs the challange to contest the Ohio vote - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

That's an odd point to make, as it is a) completely obvious, and b) completely irrelevant, unless you're arguing that people had to spend 8 hours in line because they forfeited their right to vote.
the point of that post was to clarify your parsing of the words
"privilege" and "right" in this thread.

db9

Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Odd and unstable? For crying out loud, open your mind just a little bit. Those questions were perfectly legitimate. There are reasons why people can't afford to spend 8 hours in line to vote, whether you want to recognize that or not.
namkcuR-

Statements like these:

Who would pick up your kids after school?
I guess there is a guy in van with some candy

would be considered odd by most.

db9

Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:01 PM
The point of that statement is that some parents can't spend all day in line to vote because they have things to do, such as picking up their children, and if they were to stay in line and NOT pick up their children, then what? What if there were some sick pedaphile in a van with candy? What if that sicko managed to lure someone's unsuspecting, innocent kids because someone opted to stay in line to vote? That's the point.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

NamkcuR-

the larger point is that my kids are deep's neices.
most ppl know that mr deep and I are brothers.
perhaps you didn't.

by any stretch most would consider it an odd statement, regardless of our relationship.

that's all.

peace
out

db9
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
NamkcuR-

perhaps you didn't.

by any stretch most would consider it an odd statement, regardless of our relationship.

that's all.

peace
out

db9
I did not know that. Maybe a little strange then.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #81
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:

the point of that post was to clarify your parsing of the words
"privilige" and "right" in this thread.

db9
???

I'm sorry diamond, but I don't think you even know what you're saying at this point.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Ah yes, I think I remember this explained in the Voting Privileges Act of 1965.

Gosh, and to think, people complain about liberals being elitist. I can hardly think of anything "enlightened" about that statement, as all it does is justify pretty much any disenfranchisement I can think of.

Poll taxes, anyone?
perhaps this will refresh your memory?

db9
Old 01-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #83
Acrobat

Quote:

perhaps this will refresh your memory?

db9
Look, I'll spell this out.

MrsSpringsteen asks if you want to wait 8 hours to vote. You respond by saying voting is a right not a privilege. You later clarify by saying that what you meant is that people can have rights revoked due to their behavior.

It's clear that you're arguing, whether you realize it or not, that the folks who had to wait 8 hours had to do so because their right had been compromised because of their behavior. I don't understand that argument.

Perhaps this isn't what you meant, but it's quite clearly what you said. Hence my assertion that you don't know what you're saying.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Odd and unstable? For crying out loud, open your mind just a little bit. Those questions were perfectly legitimate. There are reasons why people can't afford to spend 8 hours in line to vote, whether you want to recognize that or not.
All we have are repeated anecdotal tales of 8-hour waits, and a few race cards tossed in as well.

With the number of lawyers the DNC had floating around, if there was validity to any of this, appropriate legal action would have been taken. It wasn't.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Look, I'll spell this out.

MrsSpringsteen asks if you want to wait 8 hours to vote. You respond by saying voting is a right not a privilege. You later clarify by saying that what you meant is that people can have rights revoked due to their behavior.

It's clear that you're arguing, whether you realize it or not, that the folks who had to wait 8 hours had to do so because their right had been compromised because of their behavior. I don't understand that argument.

Perhaps this isn't what you meant, but it's quite clearly what you said. Hence my assertion that you don't know what you're saying.
MrsSpringsteen asks if you want to wait 8 hours to vote.

yes i would as i see any right attached to responsibility as a "privilege" as i believe most americans would agree with this concept.

You later clarify by saying that what you meant is that people can have rights revoked due to their behavior.

wrong.
that went into you parsing my words of "right" and "privilege"

dont know how you came up with that, or how you thought i construed that statment, but that was never my meaning.

Hence my assertion that you don't know what you're saying

your graciousness is knocking the socks off some of us

peace
out-

db9
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #86
New Yorker

Reform is great... as long as we can overturn the election, I'm all for it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #87
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

All we have are repeated anecdotal tales of 8-hour waits, and a few race cards tossed in as well.

With the number of lawyers the DNC had floating around, if there was validity to any of this, appropriate legal action would have been taken. It wasn't.
Not surprisingly, you apparently bothered little to find out exactly what the complaints are before you dismiss them out of hand.

For example, we have more than "repeated anecdotal tales" (although I'd point out that if anecdotal tales are repeated enough times by enough people that becomes pretty compelling evidence). The actual fact of the matter is that the number of available voting booths in the precincts in question were decreased, even though the population did not.

As I've already mentioned in this thread to you, there are many complaints in this matter based on actual fact. I repeat my request to you to argue them on the merits, instead of casual dismissals that reek far more of ignorance and partisanship than any kind of concern for integrity or fairness.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #88
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Reform is great... as long as we can overturn the election, I'm all for it.
Gosh, this is even funnier than it was the first time you said it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
NamkcuR-

perhaps you didn't.

that's all.

peace
out

db9
I would have asked that question to anyone that keeps implying an 8-hour wait is no big deal

In that same posts I asked

“where is your empathy?”

I can't imagine going to vote at 9 am and still being in line and still being in line at 5 pm, can you?

Many people would face serious problems at their jobs, or with childcare, and many other obligations.

To simply dismiss an 8 hour wait
Make you appear odd.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Not surprisingly, you apparently bothered little to find out exactly what the complaints are before you dismiss them out of hand.

For example, we have more than "repeated anecdotal tales" (although I'd point out that if anecdotal tales are repeated enough times by enough people that becomes pretty compelling evidence). The actual fact of the matter is that the number of available voting booths in the precincts in question were decreased, even though the population did not.

As I've already mentioned in this thread to you, there are many complaints in this matter based on actual fact. I repeat my request to you to argue them on the merits, instead of casual dismissals that reek far more of ignorance and partisanship than any kind of concern for integrity or fairness.
Not surprisingly, you accept these stories as fact. What is painfully missing is the appropriate legal action if these "facts" had any merit.

Repreatedly pressing the accusations (especially with the last minute dramatic efforts of Ms. Boxer (nice tears)) reek far more of ignorance and partisanship than any kind of concern for integrity or fairness.