Sen Boxer official signs the challange to contest the Ohio vote - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Thanks for the condescending lecture diamond, now I am enlightened

You miss the point, but I'm not even going to bother..

Old 01-06-2005, 01:26 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

do you mean once convicted felon?

in the over whelming majority of states you do not lose your right to vote

only in backward states,

the same states that disenfranchised minorities in the past

yes, they are for the most part red, too.
so according to your premise mr deep, your state would be 'enlightened' if your state let a convicted felon vote.

umm, no thanks.

db9

Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Thanks for the condescending lecture diamond, now I am enlightened

You miss the point, but I'm not even going to bother..
Gina,
No I didnt miss the point or lecture you.

Try this on, as a U2 fan you and I have spent days sitting on our duffs waiting to get into the arena to watch a friggin concert.

Is it so much of a sacrafice to stand in line for a few hours to elect an offcial without whining about an inconvience, esp when there are people literally dying to get the same oppurtunity/privilge we have in other countries?

The things we in this country take for granted and bitch about, other ppl would kill themselves to have in their own countries.

So my message is to those that had to stand in line longer than they thought was fair is to QUIT WHINING.

Unbelievable.

db9
Old 01-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

so according to your premise mr deep, your state would be 'enlightened' if your state let a convicted felon vote.

umm, no thanks.

db9
can you (or anyone else) give me a valid reason why an "ex-felon" who has paid his/ her debt to society should not have the right to vote?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #35
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:

Gina,

Try this on, as a U2 fan you and I have spent days sitting on our duffs waiting to get into the arena to watch a friggin concert.

Is it so much of a sacrafice to stand in line for a few hours to elect an offcial without whining about an inconvience, esp when there are people literally dying to get the same oppurtunity/privilge we have in other countries?

The things we in this country take for granted and bitch about, other ppl would kill themselves to have in their own countries.

So my message is to those that had to stand in line longer than they thought was fair is to QUIT WHINING.

Unbelievable.

db9
This is a pretty ridiculous example. Seriously. Yeah, voting and U2 concerts are pretty much the same thing.

Again, you seem to have come up with a justification for just about any possible disenfranchisement. After all, who can object to poll taxes when people would kill themselves to be able to pay a few hundred bucks to vote in other countries?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I don't see where those people were "whining" - they couldn't vote even after waiting in line, that's the point I think.

I would have waited all day to vote if I had to, and it's far more important to me than any U2 concert, but that's not the point either.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Wow, I'm amazed. We now have two elections in a row where a significant portion of the population is suspicious of the result. It was inexcusable to let it slide the first time (because it breeds distrust), but we did.

This time we decide it's worth invistigating, and what do we get? People upset that our elected officals are trying to make sure that we are electing the person we actually voted for?

I'm really, really disappointed at the conservatives on this one. There's nothing partisan about verifying the integrity of an election. This behaviour is something I expect from small dictatorships, not the United States.

Anyone who is confident of Bush's legitimate win should welcome the chance to prove beyond a doubt that he won legitimately and such an outcome would really help to restore faith in the voting process (of which I have less and less).

Well, I'll guarantee you one thing. Had Kerry (or Gore) won under similar circumstances, you could bet your last dollar that the conservatives would never, EVER let it die. It would live on, Monica-style for the next 20 years, and we'd be beaten over the head with it at every debate.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:

Gina,

Unbelievable.

db9
As someone who voted for Kerry, I think the quit whining method message should be sent to the whole party. The democrats were more than 3million votes behind the republicans, I doubt that had the voting issues been resolved that the result would be any different.

start layign the groundwork and setting the focus NOW for 2008, retake the "morals" high ground which should never have been taken away in the first place, and convince America that the democrats are the party of morals, of peace, of fairness. Don't spend the next 2 years whinign about the votre count and then scramble to come up with a platform.

Start thinking strategically rather than tactically.

All Boxer is doing now is cementing the reputation of being a sore loser. Kerry conceded, Bush won, time to regroup, identify the challenges for 2008 and start work.

Boxer is just coign across like the Bob Stoops of politics, blaming one isolated play in what was an electoral mauling.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cydewaze
Wow, I'm amazed. We now have two elections in a row where a significant portion of the population is suspicious of the result. It was inexcusable to let it slide the first time (because it breeds distrust), but we did.

This time we decide it's worth invistigating, and what do we get? People upset that our elected officals are trying to make sure that we are electing the person we actually voted for?

I'm really, really disappointed at the conservatives on this one. There's nothing partisan about verifying the integrity of an election. This behaviour is something I expect from small dictatorships, not the United States.

Anyone who is confident of Bush's legitimate win should welcome the chance to prove beyond a doubt that he won legitimately and such an outcome would really help to restore faith in the voting process (of which I have less and less).

Well, I'll guarantee you one thing. Had Kerry (or Gore) won under similar circumstances, you could bet your last dollar that the conservatives would never, EVER let it die. It would live on, Monica-style for the next 20 years, and we'd be beaten over the head with it at every debate.
Thank you, I'm glad some get it.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #40
War Child

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:

Perhaps if Kerry had not conceded the perception would be different ? He came across as certain he'd lost, if there's no support for the recount demand from the candidate himself, it's not likely to get a whole lot of poular support.

Quote:

Innocent until proven guilty, the onus is on the democrats to prove it was not fair, and the #1 democrat at the time apparently felt it was fair. His ongoing silence on the matter speaks volumes for how strongly he feels that it was not a fair election.

Quote:
[B
Well, I'll guarantee you one thing. Had Kerry (or Gore) won under similar circumstances, you could bet your last dollar that the conservatives would never, EVER let it die. It would live on, Monica-style for the next 20 years, and we'd be beaten over the head with it at every debate. [/B]
That's because unfortunately they are smarter than the democrats when it comes to electioneering.

How they took the country this time was borderline genius, by all accounts a President fighting an unpopular war in an economic downturn should NOT be winning elections in a cakewalk.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Old 01-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #42
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Perhaps if Kerry had not conceded the perception would be different ? He came across as certain he'd lost, if there's no support for the recount demand from the candidate himself, it's not likely to get a whole lot of poular support.
I don't see this as being about if Kerry lost or not. I don't think anyone's under the false impressions that this will somehow make Kerry the winner. It's about future elections. Cydewaze is right we've had two really fucked up elections in a row and something needs to be done. This is a start.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I guess if you believe this is all about honor and integrity, you would be correct. Boxer sat on the issue until she could make a brief circus about it.

Kerry even reject Boxer's stage performance.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Thank you, I'm glad some get it.
Kerry got it. He won't stoop to this level of political stage play.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Did Kerry say something about it? He's in Iraq

Just wondering nbc, not being sarcastic or whatnot