Sen. Biden Seeks Presidency in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050619/pl_nm/usa_politics_biden_dc

Sen. Biden says intends to seek presidency

38 minutes ago

Democratic U.S. Sen. Joseph Biden said on Sunday he intends to run for president in 2008, two decades after he dropped out of the race amid charges he plagiarized a British politician's speech.

"My intention now is to seek the nomination," Biden, of Delaware, said on CBS television's "Face the Nation." He said he would explore his support and decide by the end of this year -- a sign the race may get off to an early and competitive start.

"If in fact I think I have a clear shot at winning the nomination, by this November or December, then I'm going to seek the nomination," he said.

Biden is the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a frequent critic of President Bush's Iraq policy.

He previously indicated his interest in the 2008 race with a December 2004 comment he would proceed as if he were running, but he said then he would take two years to decide.

Biden would face potential challengers including New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the former U.S. first lady who has led early polling on the Democratic side.

Other possible Democratic contenders include Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the nominee defeated by Bush in 2004, and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, Kerry's running mate.

Biden campaigned for the 1988 Democratic nomination but withdrew early in the race after charges he plagiarized parts of a speech by British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock and exaggerated his academic record.

The Republican field may also be crowded in 2008, with Bush barred from running and Vice President Dick Cheney saying he does not intend to run, thus leaving no incumbent with a head start.

I think he'd be a solid choice, and he's had a lot of time in front of the camera. I'd certainly be interested in all of his stances, and I think he has a really good shot at it in 2008!

One of his biggest assets is that he looks "tough," whereas a lot of the other potential candidates look "whiney." That's kind of what killed Kerry in 2004 methinks.

Melon

Last edited:
:cute: I love Joe. :cute:

In fact i about gave him a heart attack when I told him that i love him :lol:

This is one of my all time favorite photos of myself:
32026joeandicropped-med.jpg

It'll be hard pulling against him in my support for Governor Warner, but I would still be thrilled if he became the nominee. He's an amazing guy.

I wouldn't vote for him in a primary. Especially after several of his recent votes, especially the banruptcy bill.

He votes too often with Republicans. He's exactly that beltway Republican light. That said, I'm sure he'd be a strong candidate at least at first.

I'm looking for an strong alternative on issues to inspire the base. Plus he talked about Dean's remarks on tv last week. He could have easily laughed then like "you know Howard" we don't need Republicans bashing we do it to ourselves. His remarks became Rep talking points on every conservative show for three days.

I honestly need to know more about Biden's voting record. I've liked his speeches, generally speaking, but I know absolutely nothing about his voting record, not being from Delaware.

Like I said, I'd like to learn about more of his stances first. It's really way too early to be committing to one potential candidate anyway.

Melon

AS long as his staff is not stealing other people's speaches....he may have a shot.

I know I enjoy his candor, reminds me a bit of McCain in that rrespect.

He also has spoken out about the direction Mr. Dean has been heading with his rhetoric.

U2democrat said:
:cute: I love Joe. :cute:

In fact i about gave him a heart attack when I told him that i love him :lol:

This is one of my all time favorite photos of myself:
32026joeandicropped-med.jpg

It'll be hard pulling against him in my support for Governor Warner, but I would still be thrilled if he became the nominee. He's an amazing guy.

Great, watch this photo surface during the primaries..... :wink:

I "dread" asking this.....

but have you been meeting with Mr. Clinton?

Back
Top Bottom