Security Risk or Anti-Arab Backlash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Port Uproar

The furor centers around the $6.8 billion acquisition by Dubai Ports World, owned by one of the United Arab Emirates, of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co. P&O had been running operations at shipping terminals in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami, and Philadelphia.

The ports have been run by foreign-owned companies for years. Are UAE companies inherently dangerous?

this is a potentially explosive issue.

am excited to see how it develops -- thanks for posting (you beat me to it!)

The United Arab Emirates is a U.S. ally. I see this as a potentially anti-Arabic move on the part of the politicians who oppose it. It's an election year and they're moving on it.

There is an interesting mix of support and opposition.

GWB released a harsh statement in support of the sale. Jimmy Carter is also on record in support of the sale.

Meanwhile, leading members of Congress from both sides of the isle want legistlation to block the sale.

Seems to me like the Republican leadership is screaming the loudest against this deal.

This is such a loser issue for Bush. The left all hates him anyway and the right sees scary Arabs in their ports.

Once again the Administration has done a horrible job of communicating with the public. I believe a Republican senator called this administration "tone deaf." I'm inclined to agree with the sale, but on this issue the President owes Congress and the people an explanation on why this is safe.

Bluer White said:
Once again the Administration has done a horrible job of communicating with the public. I believe a Republican senator called this administration "tone deaf." I'm inclined to agree with the sale, but on this issue the President owes Congress and the people an explanation on why this is safe.

The ports have been run by foreign corporations for years. The question is really for those seeking to block the sale: why is there an increase danger solely due to the sale?

nbcrusader said:
I bet a most Americans don't know that major ports are run by foreign-owned companies.

You're right. That's why this news item is causing such a reaction.

And certain politicians are cashing in on the ignorance of this fact by most people--myself included.

nbcrusader said:
I bet that most Americans don't know that major ports are run by foreign-owned companies.

Or that America has its own warplanes on the ground in the UAE. The Administration just needs to show that the company has been fully vetted.

The UAE is a moderate Arab ally. Trust, but verify.

What American's do not know, is that the ships that transport things to and from the ports are mostly not American ships.

One of my jobs in the Army was to provide safety and security on the ports of Mobile Alabama, Beumont Tx, and Galvaston Tx during Desert Storm.

The equiptment for that war was shipped on FOREIGN vessels...not American.

We here do not control much of anything here in America do we?

That said....

The UAE has played the fence.....I do not consider them a true ally, nor due I consider them a true enemy....

They are a mixed bag.

Dreadsox said:

They are a mixed bag.

Agreed.

They come across real nice and even cosmopolitan, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, they don't believe that Israel has a right to exist.

Lovely bunch.

nbcrusader said:
The ports have been run by foreign corporations for years. The question is really for those seeking to block the sale: why is there an increase danger solely due to the sale?

Because the Republican Party is xenophobic and Democrats are mostly interested in humiliating the president.

As for the latter, I wouldn't be too shocked. After all, Republicans spent their years in Congress while Clinton was president doing nothing but trying to discredit and humiliate him. But hey...what's a "do nothing" Congress to do?

Melon

it has been long thought that the smuggled nuclear material that went to iran and north korea came out of the UAE port that is owned by the company that is now buying out the british company that owns these major ports in new york, new jersey, maryland and texas.

i would much rather they err on the side of caution than err on the side of recklesness.

it's no surprise that the lawmakers who are pushing hardest for this are from the new york metro area... especially peter king. this is one issue that i will gladly stand side by side with hillary clinton on... which if you've seen my comments about how i feel about hill-hill, that's saying something.

i'm not neccesarily against an arab company, or any foreign company for that matter... arab, asian, penguin, whatever... taking over the ports... but not without an exhaustive and thorough investigation into every single thing that company has ever been involved in. i really don't think that's asking much.

Last edited:
Bush Unaware of Ports Deal Before Approval

By TED BRIDIS
Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/ALAN DIAZ

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush was unaware of the pending sale of shipping operations at six major U.S. seaports to a state-owned business in the United Arab Emirates until the deal already had been approved by his administration, the White House said Wednesday.

What a coward.

He is hiding behind the
"I didn't know defence"

deep said:
He is hiding behind the
"I didn't know defence"

well, honestly Deep, would *you* consult George Bush before you made a major decision?

i'd keep him as far away as i could from any sort of decision making.

deep said:
What a coward.

He is hiding behind the
"I didn't know defence"

Please. Create false priority expectations and then fire away at your target.

Do you expect any President to be aware of all major private financial transactions before they close?

nbcrusader said:
Do you expect any President to be aware of all major private financial transactions before they close?

but does this knowledge not weaken Bush's vigorous defense of the sale?

and i have no idea how i feel about this. i can see all sides of this issue from here 'till Tuesday.

The simple fact that the race of the owners of Dubai World Ports is even an issue absolutely saddens me.

It's outright racism to be against this deal simply because these people are Arabs.

Outright fucking racism.

DaveC said:
The simple fact that the race of the owners of Dubai World Ports is even an issue absolutely saddens me.

It's outright racism to be against this deal simply because these people are Arabs.

Outright fucking racism.

Racism? No...but it makes for a nice rallying cry!

I think most people are outright worried about security of the country....

Since this administration has not done what was recommended in the first place as far as connex security.....we are in bad shape no matter what.

But racism? I do not think so.

Dreadsox said:

Racism? No...but it makes for a nice rallying cry!

I think most people are outright worried about security of the country....

Since this administration has not done what was recommended in the first place as far as connex security.....we are in bad shape no matter what.

But racism? I do not think so.

Security measure should absolutely be addressed - no matter who runs the port operations. The enactment and enforcement of US law regarding port security is independent of the ownership issue.

I would hope the vocal members of Congress would work on the enactment/enforcement portion of this issue.

It does amaze me that our congressional leadership gets all upset over this, but recommendations that were made by Rudman and Hart before 9/11 have not been followed.

It pisses me off beyond beliefe.

It is not a democrat issue or a republican issue.

They roll the dice with our safety becuase it is UNLIKELY that anything will happen under their watch.

That does not make us more safe.

DaveC said:

Outright fucking racism.

no, not racism.

perhaps a distrust based upon perceived notions of loyalty due to a shared religion and sense of that religion being under seige by crusaders from the West.

but i see your point.

i am flummoxed by this.

DaveC said:

Outright fucking racism.

if it were a group of chinese who were based in the middle east, i'd still be worried.

if it was a company owned by an arab-american from piscataway, new jersey, i wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

i've yet to speak to a person, be it a friend or coworker, who isn't outraged with this transaction going through... some, like myself, want an extensive investigation into the company, some simply don't want a company based in the middle east to have anything to do with our ports. these people have included men, women, parents, grandparents, hardcore republicans, hardcore democrats, blacks, whites, hispanics, jews, catholics... and one muslim.

maybe we're all just a little extra touchey about the subject around here, i don't know. but i don't see the problem with wanting a thorough investigation before we turn our ports over to a company who's own port in their own city in their own country has been linked to smuggled nuclear materials.

nbcrusader said:

When it includes a nation where terrorist cells have come from...yes!

I thought he was all for the war on terror?

I expect Bush to trip on his over-sized red shoes really soon!

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i've yet to speak to a person, be it a friend or coworker, who isn't outraged with this transaction going through... some, like myself, want an extensive investigation into the company, some simply don't want a company based in the middle east to have anything to do with our ports. these people have included men, women, parents, grandparents, hardcore republicans, hardcore democrats, blacks, whites, hispanics, jews, catholics... and one muslim.

i suppose this is indicative of the situation the Bushies have put themselves in.

when you engage in rabid demagogury and the creation of mysterious boogeymen driving around in vans filled with chemical weapons in new jersey neighborhoods in order to drum up support for a war who's rationale was exceedingly dubious at best, how surprised can you be when this sort of thing comes back to bite you in the ass by very people you've scared into voting for you?

they made an enemy out of a caricature, and now they want the caricature to examine the ports?

"tone-deaf" doesn't even get close to describing the situation.

Back
Top Bottom