Secular dogma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
In the Irish Independent today the secretary of the Humanist Assocation of Ireland was criticising the celibacy policy of the Catholic church and went on to reportedly say..."To be fully human you've got to partake in life. You've got to know what it's like to have children, what it's like to marry and love another person. Without those you're a stunted human being"

The unmarried childless are "stunted human beings"!?

Sounds like subsituting one form of dogma for another. :|

I think people that have married and/or (lol) had children have a certain "life experience" from that, and I would consider it when electing someone to public office (although it'd be a minor consideration). But that's not even what this guy's discussing, and it probably wasn't the most *tolerant* thing he could've said.

financeguy said:
In the Irish Independent today the secretary of the Humanist Assocation of Ireland was criticising the celibacy policy of the Catholic church and went on to reportedly say..."To be fully human you've got to partake in life. You've got to know what it's like to have children, what it's like to marry and love another person. Without those you're a stunted human being"

The unmarried childless are "stunted human beings"!?

Sounds like subsituting one form of dogma for another. :|

While I do think Catholic nuns and priests (and I've known a few) often live a sheltered life and often do not understand "the real world" of making your own living, etc., people do not have to fit into one mold to be "fully human." Human encompasses so many variations it's ludicrous to believe only one is correct.

So I agree with you on the substituting one dogma for another.

Dogma: An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true.

There is plenty of dogma in the secular world.

While I do take issue with the celibacy policy of the Catholic church, it is ridiculous to suggest that unless a person has married and had children they are somehow stunted individuals. How about just letting everybody do what they want to do in life? I guess that is too much to ask.

As one of the Reverend Ian's lapsed Catholics, there are many other things I have a problem with in the Catholic church but sadly, I don't think any of it is ever going to change.

Back
Top Bottom