"Second Parent" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Well, the state of Massachusetts must be heaven on earth, without a single pressing issue whatsoever if this is what its political leadership is spending their time on.
No kidding.

Also, martha, hmm, good question-there've been a few other idiots roaming around out there lately that I could think of as well, but I'd say Mitt would certainly be up there on the list.

Angela

Old 07-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Mitt Romney is going to run for President and needs to appeal to a more conservative base, that's why he's spending time on this.

I guess he thinks it's OK to make things difficult for people by altering their birth certificates.

And this isn't about whether gay people make good parents..I for one happen to think anyone can be a good parent w/ love and everything else that's required. Sure it might cause problems for the kids outside their families in society, but so can many other familial issues. I didn't start this to become another "debate" about homosexuality.

I happen to think a person's actions, intentions, words and deeds, and love make them a Mother or Father, not merely biology. And they are certainly worthy and deserving of having the title of Mother or Father, not merely "second parent".

Old 07-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

is father a biological or social relationship?
I guess the question is really "what is the purpose of a birth certificate"?

Fathering is an interpersonal/social relationship.

However, we probably want some system that tracks the biologial succession in our society.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
However, we probably want some system that tracks the biologial succession in our society.
I think that birth certificates should have both biological parents listed, if only to provide a biological record. If there is a tendency for inherited diseases, the child should know ASAP, and knowing who his/her biological parents are would help.

I do understand that sometimes the biological parents aren't fit to raise a pet rock, let alone a child, so the child would consider his adoptive parents his real parents, and rightfully so. But the birth certificate should have nothing to do with that; it should be the biological record for legal and medical purposes.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym
it should be the biological record for legal and medical purposes.
Which is why men have made it perfectly legal to indentify the father as legally "unknown" for so long.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

I think that birth certificates should have both biological parents listed, if only to provide a biological record. If there is a tendency for inherited diseases, the child should know ASAP, and knowing who his/her biological parents are would help.

I do understand that sometimes the biological parents aren't fit to raise a pet rock, let alone a child, so the child would consider his adoptive parents his real parents, and rightfully so. But the birth certificate should have nothing to do with that; it should be the biological record for legal and medical purposes.
Exactly right. I don't understand why some people have a hard time understanding that.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Which is why men have made it perfectly legal to indentify the father as legally "unknown" for so long.
What's the alternative? I'm sure this policy is open to abuse, but there are at least some cases (albeit probably a tiny minority) where the mother genuinely doesn't know who the father is. If that's the case then what alternative is there to recording the father as unknown?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

A question worth asking is if there are other reasons why birth certificates are altered in the heterosexual realm.

As far as I know, birth certificates note the "legal parents," not automatically the "biological parents." If we want birth certificates to just list biological parents, then we'll have to change the law and insist that everyone abide by it equally.

Melon
Old 07-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

As far as I know, birth certificates note the "legal parents," not automatically the "biological parents." If we want birth certificates to just list biological parents, then we'll have to change the law and insist that everyone abide by it equally.

Melon
True.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Isn't that something specified by the birth mother?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
A question worth asking is if there are other reasons why birth certificates are altered in the heterosexual realm.

Melon
Yes, a number of laws would change. Currently, for example, there is a presumption that the husband of mother is the father. In many states, the presumption cannot be changed.

Privacy advocates would also balk at "true reporting" of biological father status.