Second Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
So I'm studying research methods right now, and I learned that how things are phrased often changes how a question is responded to, even if those two words mean exactly the same thing. So, let's phrase Dreadsox's little questionnaire to show you what I mean:

Are you a warmonger?
Are you for the state-sponsored murder of prisoners?
Are you for the women's right to control their own bodies?
Are you for prohibitions on the women's right to control their own bodies?
Are you for private ownership of semi-automatic weaponry and armor-piercing bullets?

Please take your time. :sexywink:

Melon

Last edited:
:sexywink: oohlala melon, arent these just the romantic of questions...is love on the mind, hmm?

ok.

1. big time. im all for the bombing the hell out of anyone that gets in my way. if its for money, its for a good cause.

2. depends

3. i dont know if i properly understand this or

4. this question.

5. absolutely. the more guns and ammunition on the streets, the less likely it is that these weapons will fall into the hands of someone bad, someone like oh, say, a TERRORIST.

:wink:

Melon nicely points out the problem with most polls today. You can get the answer you want by phrasing the question the "right" way.

nbcrusader said:
Melon nicely points out the problem with most polls today. You can get the answer you want by phrasing the question the "right" way.

Yes, but I was not trying to lead anyone down any paths.

Oh I am soooo offended...LOL

No need to apologize.

Melon,

How would you phrase it to make it better?

Example:

Are you a warmonger or a pacifist?

Would this make it less biased?

There isn't a way to make it less biased, really. I just know how to get the answers I want, and, yes, I can do it in far more subtle means. I used a dramatic example on purpose.

Basically, the best way to make it as little biased as possible is to use words that you know aren't controversial. Also take note as to what connotations certain words have, because that will influence as well.

I would say it is an acquired talent. I was just partially being bull-headed tonight.

:sexywink:

Melon

Well, I think you are suffering from survey envy!!!!

My "little" survey....sounded so....well.... ya know!

Truth be told, I had to think about it. I did not want to say, who is for WAR. I do not think anyone is for WAR.

Then the abortion question, well, I had to add the second part.

I had a hard time doing my research project making sure it was not biased. Had to rework many parts before the professors were happy.

Peace

Are you a warmonger? No.
Are you for the state-sponsored murder of prisoners? No.
Are you for the women's right to control their own bodies? Yes.
Are you for prohibitions on the women's right to control their own bodies? No.
Are you for private ownership of semi-automatic weaponry and armor-piercing bullets? No.

I'm pretty consistent.

Are you a warmonger? No.
Are you for the state-sponsored murder of prisoners? No.
Are you for the women's right to control their own bodies? Yes.
Are you for prohibitions on the women's right to control their own bodies? No.
Are you for private ownership of semi-automatic weaponry and armor-piercing bullets? No.

Ah just copy and paste! Thx martha for doing the work for me.

Martha for President!

Have to agree with Melon. I haven't answered Dreadsox poll since I don't like having things so cut a dried. Some I'd be happy with but I usually like having modifiers. Single terms and simplistic statements make me uncomfortable since they are far too absolute and vague at the same time. Besides I'm usually between extremes, mostly strongly one direction or the other but only rarely the full way. For instance I'm against war for the most part but I do believe there are some things when put to it that have to be fought for. Also while I am in theory for non-violence, I am by nature a puch you in the face if you really make me mad personality. I'd feel bad afterwords but at the moment I'd break your nose. Though I've only ever been in one fightand that was in grade school and is somethingI'm ashamed of to this day. I guess I've been fortunate never to be put to the test since.

Last edited:
Are you a warmonger? Not at all.
Are you for the state-sponsored murder of prisoners? No, yhey deserve more than death.
Are you for the women's right to control their own bodies? Categorically, No.
Are you for prohibitions on the women's right to control their own bodies? Conversely, No.

honest politician

Martha for president most definitely! (Although, technically I can't vote in American elections)... but nonetheless a worthy voice and possible candidate for the upcoming primaries.

An honest politician, who doesn't change their opinion no matter what special interest groups or lobbyists are present (i.e. the moderators)... where are you from Martha.

Heck, you can run for my country's leadership... If we had leadership (Canada) hmmmm.....

Free speech is great!

:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom