Searching for Perfection=more abortions - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I realize that, but you said you oppose abortion because you see it as "playing god" so my question was really whether you would consider any of those actions to be playing god as well?

In any case, wouldn't either decision there be playing god? Either decision involves choosing between life or death for the mother or child, and isn't playing god?
When I think of "playing God" I'm defining it as any human, or any being NOT God comparatively deciding the value of another human life; judging someone else in terms of life or death (death penalty, abortion, etc).

As a religious human being, I believe that I absolutely do not have the right or deserve the right to decide that one life is more worthy than another. If I was faced with the decision of me + baby dying or baby dying, I still couldn't justify me deciding that my life and my chance to live is more valuable than my child's.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I believe that I absolutely do not have the right or deserve the right to decide that one life is more worthy than another.
I don't think anyone should.

Adding another twist to this, how about the people who find out they have multiple babies and "choose" to "eliminate" some of them and keep others? I cannot stomach that. Me personally, I feel like if some of the babies are going to not make it because there are too many, that is for God, or nature, to decide, not me. No way could I sit there and point to which ones should get the poison needle to the heart, which is how they kill them. The babies then die and wither and are absorbed into the placenta. I find that disturbing and very wrong, not just wrong for me.

I have to admit I find it impossible to respect or sympathize with such a decision or those who make it. To me of someone does that they are not fit to be parents anyway. How could they look at the faces of the babies they had and not wonder what they others would have looked like? They were all equal in the womb but some were chosen to die and some to live. I can't deal with that.

Unfortunately, a guy I went to school with and his wife did that and I see them around town often. The wife is always complaining about the "twins" and I can't help thinking, though would never say, "ever wonder if you killed the wrong ones?"

Old 06-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

I think the reason I feel so strongly about this is that is not only because I am a mother of 3 (which makes me wonder how ANY woman could order the death of her own child) but because I have had so many pets, from old dogs to baby kittens, pass away in my arms. I have seen and felt lives slip away. To me, EVERY life is special and very precious, and the one thing that can never be replaced or retreived once lost.

It's become a throwaway society, that's also why so many animals get killed in the pound, because they were inconvenient to someone. Silly me, I value the lives of dogs and cats at the pound more than some people do their own offspring.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

When I think of "playing God" I'm defining it as any human, or any being NOT God comparatively deciding the value of another human life; judging someone else in terms of life or death (death penalty, abortion, etc).
So is a doctor playing god if they refuse to allow an alcoholic to have a liver transplant, even if that person is going to die without the transplant? They're judging that that person is less worthy of living than someone who needs a liver transplant for some other reason, isn't that playing god?

Are insurace companies playing god when they impose conditions on the use of certain drugs or medical procedures because of their cost? Are governments playing god when they decide that "intellectual property" rights are more important than millions of people dying because they can't get the drugs they need? That's not even judging that one life is worth more than another, that's judging that profit is worth more than life.

Is an army playing god when they decide to bomb a village from the air rather than send in ground troops because they don't want to risk their soldiers lives but they are willing to risk the lives of everyone in the village? Isn't that judging soldiers lives to be worth more than the civilians living in that village?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

I asked that question a few days ago and no one ever answered. I just don't understand what the criteria is for 'playing God.'
There is no easy question to this. There is always going to be cases where the rules seem on unfair, or this person has this to think of or that person we should take this into consideration. There is a reason why we are not capable of doing the job and doing it right.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

So is a doctor playing god if they refuse to allow an alcoholic to have a liver transplant, even if that person is going to die without the transplant? They're judging that that person is less worthy of living than someone who needs a liver transplant for some other reason, isn't that playing god?

Are insurace companies playing god when they impose conditions on the use of certain drugs or medical procedures because of their cost? Are governments playing god when they decide that "intellectual property" rights are more important than millions of people dying because they can't get the drugs they need? That's not even judging that one life is worth more than another, that's judging that profit is worth more than life.

Is an army playing god when they decide to bomb a village from the air rather than send in ground troops because they don't want to risk their soldiers lives but they are willing to risk the lives of everyone in the village? Isn't that judging soldiers lives to be worth more than the civilians living in that village?
yes.yes.yes
Old 06-03-2004, 10:08 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Would taking a life be playing God?
if so, we have a lot of people playing god in iraq and elsewhere
Old 06-03-2004, 10:24 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life