Searching for Perfection=more abortions - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


I think you are looking at it from a scientific standpoint, however, if people are beginning to look at things like clubbed feet, or cleft pallates....there is something wrong and I see nothing that could stop science from develping future tests to determine other "defects" that people may not want in their lives.
And maybe science can find a way of curing these disabilities while the child is still in the womb.

Then wouldnt that be a wonderful world to live in
__________________

__________________
beli is offline  
Old 05-31-2004, 08:48 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 11:12 PM
"Science" is an idea, therefore it does not develop anything on its own; people do.

I can't get into too many details, because I am working on something that we may want to patent, but I work on cancer research (breast to be exact), and we are trying to develop blockers, because some women have a particular type of mutation which makes tamoxifen essentially useless. There are labs all around us, doing all sorts of different things. So what are we talking about here? Stopping technological advances which some people deem to potentially lead to immoral things? Stem cells, now DNA sequencing in utero...The same question can be posed therefore - where do you stop?
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 05-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:12 PM
I process clinical trial and other medical insurance applications. I enjoy reading the applications and thinking "I hope this one works, its sounds wonderful".

I honestly believe, and maybe Im naive, that society will put brakes on itself if we start heading down a foggy path. I really dont believe that society will begin making/choosing babies that only fit the USA ideal of beauty or whatever.
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 05-31-2004, 09:03 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
I process clinical trial and other medical insurance applications. I enjoy reading the applications and thinking "I hope this one works, its sounds wonderful".

I honestly believe, and maybe Im naive, that society will put brakes on itself if we start heading down a foggy path. I really dont believe that society will begin making/choosing babies that only fit the USA ideal of beauty or whatever.
I totally agree with you. There is such a rush when you're on the brink of a new discovery.

IMO, a lot of the problem also has to do with the fact that oftentimes the loudest opponents of specific scientific discovery are people who would not pass Biology 101 at a community college. That is not to say all, but believe me, I've had discussions with people about cloning which are so ridiculous that they do not bear repeating. I routinely clone (subclone) things on a weekly basis. I just successfully cloned a bidirectional signalling receptor into a cancer cell line. But you say cloning and people turn into paranoid masses imagining Hitler babies. It blows the mind, and just goes to show that probably 90% of the general population has no idea what cloning even means.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 05-31-2004, 09:24 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

It blows the mind, and just goes to show that probably 90% of the general population has no idea what cloning even means.
I think theres a lot of hysteria involved. I processed genetic manipulation applications for years and the things we used to do to keep it all secret. Okay, sometimes there was a commerical value in the work and good reason to 'hide' it from the community. But we have had vehicles vandalised etc when some individuals have worked out what is going on.

I had to sink our entire GMO section of the web to a restricted access web site. This includes just the application forms that are required to be completed by federal legislation.

I guess Im an individual who admires the work of researchers and believes that tomorrow will be a better place than today. And there are so many wonderous things in store for us.

There will always be the unethical doctor, the village idiot with the gun, the cult with the ricin. But I dont believe society should be slowed down by these people.

PS Anitram, congratulations and keep up the good work.
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 05-31-2004, 10:34 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I also think that deciding to have an abortion is an agonising decision for a couple to have to make and I don't believe that deciding to abort a fetus which would be born with severe disabilities indicates that the parents wouldn't have loved the child.
This is something couples need to consider before getting pregnant. My opinion is that if you're not willing to or prepared to care for your child no matter what, then you should not get pregnant.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 05-31-2004, 10:58 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


This is something couples need to consider before getting pregnant. My opinion is that if you're not willing to or prepared to care for your child no matter what, then you should not get pregnant.
You know we may not agree on much but I'm with you on this one.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 05-31-2004, 11:22 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

You know we may not agree on much but I'm with you on this one.
hehe!

The way I see, what could ever be more important/significant that raising a child? So when a couple makes the decision to have a child, they should consider EVERY possibility. If they're not willing to accept a child with health risks or a handicap, then play it safe and adopt a child. I don't think there's anything less significant about this form of parenthood. This is what I plan to do at least once. It makes perfect sense to me. I know a family who has a child with cystic fibrosis which is genetic, so they had to adopt the rest of their children because they didn't want another child with the disease. Aborting a child b/c it has a cleff palette just seems so sick and twisted and, I think, selfish.

There's just something that feels so wrong about playing God. You can preach women's rights at me all day long, but as a woman, I feel that an unborn child should NEVER EVER have to suffer b/c someone else decides it is not worthy of living or someone else doesn't have the guts to live with their mistake. If a couple really can't deal with a handicap child, there are lots of families that adopt special needs children. EVERY child has a right to live and be loved.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 05:17 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


This is something couples need to consider before getting pregnant. My opinion is that if you're not willing to or prepared to care for your child no matter what, then you should not get pregnant.
Let's use a hypothetical situation here: a couple finds out that their child will be born with such severe disabilities that it will live for only a few months or years, will have no quality of life and will suffer unimaginably throughout its entire life. In your opinion if they choose to have an abortion, then they shouldn't have got pregnant in the first place?

That seems so judgemental to me. I can't imagine what a couple must go through if they find out their child will be born with severe disabilities, but I don't believe that deciding to have an abortion is a decision they take lightly and I certainly don't accept that making that decision means that they shouldn't have decided to have children in the first place.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Aborting a child b/c it has a cleff palette just seems so sick and twisted and, I think, selfish.
Especially since they are so easily repaired by surgery these days and it's not life threatening. I would extend the 'sick and twisted' and 'selfish' thing further than that on this issue, but I don't feel like fighting

Quote:
There's just something that feels so wrong about playing God. You can preach women's rights at me all day long, but as a woman, I feel that an unborn child should NEVER EVER have to suffer b/c someone else decides it is not worthy of living or someone else doesn't have the guts to live with their mistake.


That's the entire abortion issue in a nutshell to me
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
meegannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


Let's use a hypothetical situation here: a couple finds out that their child will be born with such severe disabilities that it will live for only a few months or years, will have no quality of life and will suffer unimaginably throughout its entire life. In your opinion if they choose to have an abortion, then they shouldn't have got pregnant in the first place?

That seems so judgemental to me. I can't imagine what a couple must go through if they find out their child will be born with severe disabilities, but I don't believe that deciding to have an abortion is a decision they take lightly and I certainly don't accept that making that decision means that they shouldn't have decided to have children in the first place.
I think it's very judgemental and harsh to declare the decision to have an abortion 'selfish' in all cases. The cleft palate-type cases are EXTREMELY rare, and I don't think anyone here thinks a child should be aborted because of a relatively minor deformity. It's probably much easier to discuss the (remote) possibilty of having a child who has a rare and/or severe disorder or disability than to deal with the reality of the situaton. I personally can't imagine what it would be like to know that my child would live for a few years at the most, enduring treatment after treatment, and that their entire short life they would be in intense pain. I've always said that I would never, under any circumstances, have an abortion, but I don't know for a fact how I would react if I were in that situation.

What constitutes 'playing God'? Artificial insemination? Fertility treatments? Organ transplants? Euthanasia? The death penalty? Where do you draw the line?
__________________
meegannie is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie


I think it's very judgemental and harsh to declare the decision to have an abortion 'selfish' in all cases.
I'm not talking about all cases. I'm not talking about severe deformities that would cause the child to suffer and die anyway. But using the old worst case scenario thing to justify every single one doesn't fly with me, because statistics have shown that over 90% (in some reports as high as 98%) of the abortions in the US had nothing to do with rape, incest, threat to the mother's life or the health of the baby.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 10:52 AM   #58
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:12 PM
I think LivLuv was only referring to the cleft palate example.

I do want to ask how exactly you mean parents should consider all possibilities. I think many go through the "Dear, what would you think if we had a baby with XYZ" conversations, and once pregnant it is unbelievable the number of worries you can develop. It's easy enough to find out what is wrong after the fact, but hardly anyone would ever not try for a child naturally themselves from fear of the slim odds of having a major defect. Blood tests can determine once you are pregnant the likelihood of having a Downs baby, and an ultrasound at I think 22 weeks will show the neck test, as well as an amnio, but the deal I have with what you say is most people end up at that point before giving it the thought it requires. And is that bad? When (I guess I am normal so I will use me as an example) I only have a 1 in 14,000+ chance of having a Downs baby? I really dont know what I'd do if faced with it, but if I am honest, I would say I would never use such slim odds to put me off ever having or trying for another baby.

Human nature looks at odds and says "It'll be alright, lets try and worry when/if we need to".
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
meegannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten


I'm not talking about all cases. I'm not talking about severe deformities that would cause the child to suffer and die anyway. But using the old worst case scenario thing to justify every single one doesn't fly with me, because statistics have shown that over 90% (in some reports as high as 98%) of the abortions in the US had nothing to do with rape, incest, threat to the mother's life or the health of the baby.
Right. I agree with that.
__________________
meegannie is offline  
Old 06-01-2004, 05:42 PM   #60
Refugee
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Posts: 2,432
Local Time: 05:12 AM
I read this thread and thought about posting several times but all i can say is that i'm glad i was never in such a situation to make such a difficult decision.
And more than that (and i think it's unfair) in my country i never will have to make such a decision because the women has almost all rights to decide how she wants, because it would be HER baby, not ours until it's born.
__________________

__________________
Klaus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com