SD senator sick; Dems may lose senate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
link

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota was hospitalized with the symptoms of a stroke and underwent surgery Wednesday, weeks before his party is to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

There was no word on the nature of the surgery, which lasted past midnight, or on Johnson's condition.

Apart from the risk to his health, Johnson's illness carried political ramifications. Democrats emerged from last month's elections with a 51-49 Senate majority. If he is forced to relinquish his seat, a replacement would be named by South Dakota's GOP Gov. Mike Rounds.

A Republican appointee would create at 50-50 tie, and allow the GOP to retain Senate control.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First and foremost, we should be thinking about what he and his poor family are dealing with right now.

I admit, though, this is pretty sucky for the rest of us, albeit in a much different way. Let's hope that if he doesn't pull through they elect another Dem or let his wife serve out his term.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I admit, though, this is pretty sucky for the rest of us, albeit in a much different way. Let's hope that if he doesn't pull through they elect another Dem or let his wife serve out his term.

The Republican governor of the state will have the right to appoint someone. He'll surely appoint a Republican.

But would the Russians want the Republicans in power? Maybe, because the Iraq war is a distraction and turns world opinion against us? Hmmmm...

I don't think the Dems are going to lose the Senate. An article on CNN stated that this could drag out over several months while the guy recovers. He'll probably have to do physical therapy. The governor of South Dakota put out a very kind statement wishing him a speedy recovery.

Oh quit fussing about the goddamn senate - first and foremost you should wish this guy and his family well. Bush is still in control of the Government and the senate means diddly squat when it comes right down to it. Bush is the dictator until 2008 - unless something happens to him - then God help you all - Dick Cheney is president!!!

Harry Vest said:
Oh quit fussing about the goddamn senate - first and foremost you should wish this guy and his family well. Bush is still in control of the Government and the senate means diddly squat when it comes right down to it. Bush is the dictator until 2008 - unless something happens to him - then God help you all - Dick Cheney is president!!!

Uh, Bush can't pass legislation. Only the Senate and the House can do that. That's a little more than diddly squat. We do wish the guy well, and hope he's OK for his family. We just don't want the Democrats to lose the Senate. There's alot at stake politically here, and it's a bit silly to expect us not to be concerned.

Varitek said:

The Republican governor of the state will have the right to appoint someone. He'll surely appoint a Republican.
I don`t get it, the democrates won this election in this state right ? so why is it possible to appoint a republican ?

:confused:

When Senators and Congressmen leave office in the middle of a term, whether for death, resignation over scandal, or because they were elected to a higher office, they must be replaced. Some states mandate elections to replace them, while others (like SD) just have a law allowing the governor to appoint a replacement.

Funny story on this topic - when Kerry was running for president int he middle of his term, the republican governor of Mass would have had the right to appoint his replacement, which would have ruined the all-democratic congressional legislation from MA. So the state senate and legislature passed a law taking away the governor's power (and I believe mandating a popular vote), with a veto-proof margin. Yeah Romney is so powerless.

Rono said:
I don`t get it, the democrates won this election in this state right ? so why is it possible to appoint a republican ?

:confused:

Governor can do whatever he wants, and he's a republican. While I'm sure that rule was put in so the governor can pick a replacement that is best for his state, with the senate so closely split it's expected that a republican would be appointed, albeit a moderate that wouldnt piss-off the newly-democratic state.

Back
Top Bottom