Sd.366 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Sd.366

Sunday Dispatch .366


New York: Do you align yourself with any party?

Terrence Howard: No, I firmly believe in what the Bible set out: that God’s kingdom is the real kingdom. And that king is superior to all other kings on the Earth. A lot of things that flawed mankind is trying to accomplish on the Earth—I think a lot of it is in vain, because we just don’t have the capacity to rule ourselves successfully. Six thousand years of mankind’s rulership has pretty much proved that.
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 05:20 PM
I agree with him. I would also add that the last 7 of those 6,000 years proved his point even more.
__________________

__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 10:20 PM
Re: Sd.366

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Sunday Dispatch .366


New York: Do you align yourself with any party?

Terrence Howard: No, I firmly believe in what the Bible set out: that God’s kingdom is the real kingdom. And that king is superior to all other kings on the Earth. A lot of things that flawed mankind is trying to accomplish on the Earth—I think a lot of it is in vain, because we just don’t have the capacity to rule ourselves successfully. Six thousand years of mankind’s rulership has pretty much proved that.
Sounds like a copout, along with being another example of how easy it is for almost any viewpoint, no matter how moronic, to be justified by recourse to the bible.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Re: Re: Sd.366

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Sounds like a copout, along with being another example of how easy it is for almost any viewpoint, no matter how moronic, to be justified by recourse to the bible.
I tend to agree. Of all the regimes that claimed to be "Biblically-based," they were the most "unsuccessful" of them all; that is, if there's one thing for certain, theocracy is a failed system of government.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Re: Re: Re: Sd.366

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


I tend to agree. Of all the regimes that claimed to be "Biblically-based," they were the most "unsuccessful" of them all; that is, if there's one thing for certain, theocracy is a failed system of government.


You might be thinking theocracy is a failed system because it has not yet been instituted by it's first definition. As a Christian, I believe one day it will be.


The definitions:

the·oc·racy

noun

1. lit., the rule of a state by God or a god

2. government by a person or persons claiming to rule with divine authority

3. a country governed in this way
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sd.366

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse



1. lit., the rule of a state by God or a god

the·oc·ra·cy
–noun, plural -cies.

1. a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.
2. a system of government by priests claiming a divine commission.
3. a commonwealth or state under such a form or system of government.


And this will NEVER happen, all definitions fail.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 10:20 PM
When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me.

In the middle ages Europe was pretty much a quasi theocracy with much too much power in the hands of one person sitting in Rome (ignoring the schism here).
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me.

In the middle ages Europe was pretty much a quasi theocracy with much too much power in the hands of one person sitting in Rome (ignoring the schism here).

Press >>> Play


The iron hand it ain't no match for the iron rod,
The strongest wall will crumble and fall to a mighty God.
For all those who have eyes and all those who have ears
It is only He who can reduce me to tears.
Don't you cry and don't you die and don't you burn
For like a thief in the night, He'll replace wrong with right
When He returns.

Truth is an arrow and the gate is narrow that it passes through,
He unleashed His power at an unknown hour that no one knew.
How long can I listen to the lies of prejudice?
How long can I stay drunk on fear out in the wilderness?
Can I cast it aside, all this loyalty and this pride?
Will I ever learn that there'll be no peace, that the war won't cease
Until He returns?

Surrender your crown on this blood-stained ground, take off your mask,
He sees your deeds, He knows your needs even before you ask.
How long can you falsify and deny what is real?
How long can you hate yourself for the weakness you conceal?
Of every earthly plan that be known to man, He is unconcerned,
He's got plans of His own to set up His throne
When He returns.


~Bob Dylan
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me
What Mr. Dylan is getting at here, is not a religious theocracy, per se, but a planet ruled by God himself.

And if you don't believe in God, well, I don't think you could understand at all what that means. If you do, you'd look forward to it.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris


What Mr. Dylan is getting at here, is not a religious theocracy, per se, but a planet ruled by God himself.

And if you don't believe in God, well, I don't think you could understand at all what that means. If you do, you'd look forward to it.
Yes, but then what is the original poster getting at? He seems to WANT a theocracy...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 04:20 PM
And you don't seem to understand that I want a theocracy also, if it is defined by the first definition, that is to say, actually ruled by God.

A world ruled by God, and the God I believe, which isn't short of cash mister.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
And you don't seem to understand that I want a theocracy also, if it is defined by the first definition, that is to say, actually ruled by God.

A world ruled by God, and the God I believe, which isn't short of cash mister.
1. a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.



"the god's OR deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities"

^that doesn't sound like God.

Plus where in the Bible does God ever speak of wanting to run a theocracy?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Sounds like a Jehovah's Witness post.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,472
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

~Bob Dylan


you realize that Dylan outgrew this phase?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 11-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Re: Sd.366

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Sunday Dispatch .366


New York: Do you align yourself with any party?

Terrence Howard: No, I firmly believe in what the Bible set out: that God’s kingdom is the real kingdom. And that king is superior to all other kings on the Earth. A lot of things that flawed mankind is trying to accomplish on the Earth—I think a lot of it is in vain, because we just don’t have the capacity to rule ourselves successfully. Six thousand years of mankind’s rulership has pretty much proved that.

This man will surely have 72 virgins waiting for him in heaven.
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com