Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
St. Bernard Parish - 90% White

100% Destroyed

Locals organized their own rescues....

[Q]Congressman says St. Bernard Parish is "forgotten" in Katrina aftermath

06:35 PM CDT on Monday, September 12, 2005

U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon issued a statement today after President George Bush visited St. Bernard parish. Melancon's district, including St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes, was particularly hard hit by Hurricane Katrina.

On September 4th of last week, the Congressman extended an invitation to President Bush to tour affected parts of the district. "People in Plaquemines Parish, St. Bernard Parish and other affected area in Southeast Louisiana's 3rd District need to see that the federal government has not forgotten them," he said then of the invitation. "We need all the federal support we can get, and the only way to understand that is to witness it first hand."

In reaction to today's visit, Melancon released the following statement:

"I am very pleased that the President was able to see first hand the situation in St. Bernard Parish. When I invited him, it was with the hope that being on the ground would help him understand just how serious the situation there is.

"I wish he had been able today to meet with residents and officials of St. Bernard as I did. The thousands of displaced citizens who were at the State Capitol this afternoon told the real story what's happening. I wish the President had been able to hear their frustrations, but also their courage as they face the challenges of the future. Their homes and businesses may be underwater but the community of St. Bernard is alive and well.

"As this tragedy moves into the next phase of recovery and rebuilding, it is vital that parishes like St. Bernard are not forgotten as they were in the early days of the Katrina crisis. Rather, they deserve attention at the highest levels of government."
[/Q]

[Q]St. Bernard Parish residents crowd Capitol for town meeting

06:37 PM CDT on Monday, September 12, 2005

"Did we get neglected? Absolutely we got neglected," he said. "But did the local people take up the slack? You're damn right we did. We didn't wait for anybody to show up."

"Good thing," a resident shouted back.

[/Q]

[Q]St. Bernard parish fears 1,500 dead
CHALMETTE, La., Sept. 8 (UPI) -- While attention remains focused on New Orleans in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, the devastated nearby parish of St. Bernard may have lost 1,500 citizens.

"It is total devastation," said Sgt. 1st Class James Scalla of the Ohio National Guard, who is in the parish, told the Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper. "There is nothing. We are in survival mode."

Authorities fear the coastal parish of 68,000, may have lost as many as 1,500 of its people.
[/Q]

Holy Shit....here it is....the evidence....

a Parish....90% white....

No State or Federal Help....

1,500 Dead....

[Q]On Friday, state Rep. Nita Hutter placed a letter on the parish's Web site with a call for help that was chilling in its simplicity.

"Please Help Us," her letter said, detailing the need for food, fuel and medical supplies. "We have received no federal contact or relief. We are totally isolated and cut off from the outside world. ... This is a desperate, desperate situation. If we do not receive assistance immediately, many, many more St. Bernard, Louisiana, and U.S. citizens will die."

Several days later, the bitterness remains.

"I think their priority was New Orleans and to hell with the rest," said Warren Campagna, 63, as he barbecued ribs for workers trying to get the Murphy refinery online. "We never got no help at all. I don't even think we were on the list."

[/Q]

Holy Shit....

You mean...the Mayor of NO getting on the Radio making outrageous claims might have meant lives saved in your 90% Whte Parish.....

Well...surely after the storm you got help?

What....the relief trucks could not get through because the only road into town was being controlled by GANGS of thugs....

[Q]A week after Katrina, large pools of standing water still divide St. Bernard from New Orleans. To get to St. Bernard, a convoy of rescue workers drove through the city down the Chef Menteur Highway, where frequent reports of looting and armed gangs had been made throughout the week.

The influx of National Guardsmen may have calmed such activities. But the few people seen along the road appeared to have gone through an apocalypse, with shell-shocked looks on their faces. Ragtag groups of men gathered around a tipped-over soda machine; there were no women to be seen. A cardboard sign reading "Keep Out - Patrol" was taped on the entrance of one cul-de-sac.

Eason and his friend, Mike Jackson, came with their airboat - which is driven by a large fan mounted at the back of the craft - from Houston to help emergency workers rescue people from their homes. After three days of bringing agents from house to house, the men, both in their early 30s, had seen the living and the dead - including the body of a woman that had been tied to a roof to keep it from floating away.

"The smell and the bloated bodies - you can only take so much of this," Jackson said.
[/Q]

Surely the Governor took control of the National Guard and sent them to help your Parish......

Surely the Governor used the forces to help get the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in.....

What? She did not allow them to operate.....

Hmmmmm
:huh:

But surely...help came?????

[Q]The surrounding parishes were sacrificed," said Judy Hoffmeister, a council member in Chalmette who rode out the storm in the city government building. Help in the days after the storm focused mostly on the New Orleans area.[/Q]

What do you mean? All the cries of racism caused rescue efforts to go elsewhere? Are you sure?

[Q]Residents described watching helplessly while helicopters flew overhead as they screamed and frantically waved for help. The helicopters never stopped.

Hoffmeister and state Rep. Nita Hutter are furious with the lack of assistance the parish received.

"We had no help the first four days at all. We literally put thousands of people on those ferries at the Chalmette levee to evacuate out of here," Hutter said.[/Q]

No...come on....

Wait...so if the Governor had allowed the Red Cross to help at the Super Dome....Which they wanted to do...

Maybe the resources could have been used to save lives? Do you think the cries of racism would have happened if the MEDIA and the OUTRAGE affected the manner in which emergency operations were handled.....

Hmmmm

brilliant..but even it's true..its still a tragedy that anybody had to die, so that those in power can exploit the deaths for their quest of power and then giving ample oppurtunity for Mrs S and Irvine to claim they weren't manipulated.:sexywink:

db9

Last edited:
Nah....

If we had allowed the Red Cross to help at the Super Dome...
If we had used the busses...
If we had used the National Guard...
If we had not screamed racism...

Maybe people in St. Bernard Parish would not have seen helecopters flying into New Orleans....

Oh...By the way....as of Sunday they were still rescuing people...

The first serious help they got was from Canada....thank you Canada...

The US Marines are now doing a house to house search.

I don't think race should be played on either side, I understand the point you are making but let's face it the area as a whole got screwed.

SCREWED by many in many different ways.

diamond said:
and then giving ample oppurtunity for Mrs S and Irvine to claim they weren't manipulated.:sexywink:

db9

Doesn't it ever get old for you? It's getting pretty fucking old, until you answer the questions to which yourself brought up your arguments don't hold much of anything.

I guess they will have their home`s be build up fast because they could effort ensurance ?

diamond said:
so that those in power can exploit the deaths for their quest of power and then giving ample oppurtunity for Mrs S and Irvine to claim they weren't manipulated.:sexywink:

db9

Okay, I'm with BVS...can we cool it with the manipulation thing now, please? MrsS and Irvine are very smart people who are capable of thinking for themselves. Everyone here is, actually.

Tensions are high on both sides here as of late...I think we all just need a breather or something.

As for the race issue...I dunno, in some ways, I could see where people feel race could've played some sort of a factor in lack of help, but at the same time, I think there were a lot of reasons involved in why people didn't get the help they needed right away, too. I haven't really come down on one side or the other in regards to this.

Angela

Rono said:
I guess they will have their home`s be build up fast because they could effort ensurance ?

That's a good reason to not rescue them...pity the dead///I am not sure the insurance mattered.

MadelynIris said:

Let's not forget who screwed them the worse:

A BIGASS HURRICANE CALLED KATRINA!

KATRINA is a racist too.....

Clearly.:mad:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't think race should be played on either side, I understand the point you are making but let's face it the area as a whole got screwed.

SCREWED by many in many different ways.

Just curious.....

But did you wait until I played the card.

For two weeks I tried to make points in this forum....that it was unfair to characterize the poor as being only black....that playing the race card just may be interfering with the manner in which the evacuations were going.....

and...

after looking at this....

I think playing the race card and the media hype caused these people to be ignored.

nbcrusader said:
Too bad we address global issues in terms of protected classes instead of human needs.

Apparently one form of discrimination is tolorable.

diamond said:
and then giving ample oppurtunity for Mrs S and Irvine to claim they weren't manipulated.:sexywink:

Knock it off diamond, you seem hell bent on hanging on to this

Try to handle it w/ grace when someone disagrees with you

I'm really pissed off at you for this, but I will have some dignity and leave it at that

Dreadsox said:

Just curious.....

But did you wait until I played the card.

For two weeks I tried to make points in this forum....that it was unfair to characterize the poor as being only black....

Not at all. I agree with you 100%. I think we've been on the same page the whole time with this being about economics and not race.

I was just trying to make the point that it sucks to have to go and play the opposite card just to prove that point. It was no attack on you or this thread.

MadelynIris said:

Let's not forget who screwed them the worse:

A BIGASS HURRICANE CALLED KATRINA!

Um no shit, did you see Katrina somehow taken out of my equation?

No one here thinks Bush actually caused the hurricane. We all know about his lack of knowledge in science.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um no shit, did you see Katrina somehow taken out of my equation?

yes early on while ppl were dying.
and that is the point.
nobody should ever balme a politician for a natural disaster, and I do believe that folk who do will be held accountable and showed the error of their ways (at a future date) when it causes division instead of unity in a tragedy.

db9

Dreadsox said:
St. Bernard Parish - 90% White

100% Destroyed

Locals organized their own rescues....

[Q]Congressman says St. Bernard Parish is "forgotten" in Katrina aftermath

06:35 PM CDT on Monday, September 12, 2005

U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon issued a statement today after President George Bush visited St. Bernard parish. Melancon's district, including St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes, was particularly hard hit by Hurricane Katrina.

On September 4th of last week, the Congressman extended an invitation to President Bush to tour affected parts of the district. "People in Plaquemines Parish, St. Bernard Parish and other affected area in Southeast Louisiana's 3rd District need to see that the federal government has not forgotten them," he said then of the invitation. "We need all the federal support we can get, and the only way to understand that is to witness it first hand."

In reaction to today's visit, Melancon released the following statement:

"I am very pleased that the President was able to see first hand the situation in St. Bernard Parish. When I invited him, it was with the hope that being on the ground would help him understand just how serious the situation there is.

"I wish he had been able today to meet with residents and officials of St. Bernard as I did. The thousands of displaced citizens who were at the State Capitol this afternoon told the real story what's happening. I wish the President had been able to hear their frustrations, but also their courage as they face the challenges of the future. Their homes and businesses may be underwater but the community of St. Bernard is alive and well.

"As this tragedy moves into the next phase of recovery and rebuilding, it is vital that parishes like St. Bernard are not forgotten as they were in the early days of the Katrina crisis. Rather, they deserve attention at the highest levels of government."
[/Q]

[Q]St. Bernard Parish residents crowd Capitol for town meeting

06:37 PM CDT on Monday, September 12, 2005

"Did we get neglected? Absolutely we got neglected," he said. "But did the local people take up the slack? You're damn right we did. We didn't wait for anybody to show up."

"Good thing," a resident shouted back.

[/Q]

[Q]St. Bernard parish fears 1,500 dead
CHALMETTE, La., Sept. 8 (UPI) -- While attention remains focused on New Orleans in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, the devastated nearby parish of St. Bernard may have lost 1,500 citizens.

"It is total devastation," said Sgt. 1st Class James Scalla of the Ohio National Guard, who is in the parish, told the Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper. "There is nothing. We are in survival mode."

Authorities fear the coastal parish of 68,000, may have lost as many as 1,500 of its people.
[/Q]

Holy Shit....here it is....the evidence....

a Parish....90% white....

No State or Federal Help....

1,500 Dead....

[Q]On Friday, state Rep. Nita Hutter placed a letter on the parish's Web site with a call for help that was chilling in its simplicity.

"Please Help Us," her letter said, detailing the need for food, fuel and medical supplies. "We have received no federal contact or relief. We are totally isolated and cut off from the outside world. ... This is a desperate, desperate situation. If we do not receive assistance immediately, many, many more St. Bernard, Louisiana, and U.S. citizens will die."

Several days later, the bitterness remains.

"I think their priority was New Orleans and to hell with the rest," said Warren Campagna, 63, as he barbecued ribs for workers trying to get the Murphy refinery online. "We never got no help at all. I don't even think we were on the list."

[/Q]

Holy Shit....

You mean...the Mayor of NO getting on the Radio making outrageous claims might have meant lives saved in your 90% Whte Parish.....

Well...surely after the storm you got help?

What....the relief trucks could not get through because the only road into town was being controlled by GANGS of thugs....

[Q]A week after Katrina, large pools of standing water still divide St. Bernard from New Orleans. To get to St. Bernard, a convoy of rescue workers drove through the city down the Chef Menteur Highway, where frequent reports of looting and armed gangs had been made throughout the week.

The influx of National Guardsmen may have calmed such activities. But the few people seen along the road appeared to have gone through an apocalypse, with shell-shocked looks on their faces. Ragtag groups of men gathered around a tipped-over soda machine; there were no women to be seen. A cardboard sign reading "Keep Out - Patrol" was taped on the entrance of one cul-de-sac.

Eason and his friend, Mike Jackson, came with their airboat - which is driven by a large fan mounted at the back of the craft - from Houston to help emergency workers rescue people from their homes. After three days of bringing agents from house to house, the men, both in their early 30s, had seen the living and the dead - including the body of a woman that had been tied to a roof to keep it from floating away.

"The smell and the bloated bodies - you can only take so much of this," Jackson said.
[/Q]

Surely the Governor took control of the National Guard and sent them to help your Parish......

Surely the Governor used the forces to help get the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in.....

What? She did not allow them to operate.....

Hmmmmm

But surely...help came?????

[Q]The surrounding parishes were sacrificed," said Judy Hoffmeister, a council member in Chalmette who rode out the storm in the city government building. Help in the days after the storm focused mostly on the New Orleans area.[/Q]

What do you mean? All the cries of racism caused rescue efforts to go elsewhere? Are you sure?

[Q]Residents described watching helplessly while helicopters flew overhead as they screamed and frantically waved for help. The helicopters never stopped.

Hoffmeister and state Rep. Nita Hutter are furious with the lack of assistance the parish received.

"We had no help the first four days at all. We literally put thousands of people on those ferries at the Chalmette levee to evacuate out of here," Hutter said.[/Q]

No...come on....

Wait...so if the Governor had allowed the Red Cross to help at the Super Dome....Which they wanted to do...

Maybe the resources could have been used to save lives? Do you think the cries of racism would have happened if the MEDIA and the OUTRAGE affected the manner in which emergency operations were handled.....

Hmmmm

Dread, it's a very sad story, but the race angle equivalency is being invented by you, and it's incidental to the real discussion that's been going on regarding race. you sound like Kanye.

what's been going on, i think, is that Katrina exposed just how entrenched and "raced" urban poverty is. i think we're all lying to ourselves to think that race and class aren't inextricably linked, and i always find it funny when white people talk about a colorblind society because they seem to be blind to the fact that much of their privileged status is due to their color. no, not all poor people are black, and not all rich people are white; no one thinks this, no one claims this. black people are *disproportionately* poor, and with history as a guide, there's a very strong record of the government screwing over poor people, who are disproportionately black. it's less that the government said, "screw the black people" and more that society is structured in such a way as to create a permanent underclass.

since you've posted right wing articles in other threads, let me excerpt an article written by a big Bush critic, that, i think, gets to the point that many of us are trying to make. it's not that there's an explicitly racist agenda at play; it's that the whole structure itself is implicitly racist:

"Because they don't see blacks as a current or potential constituency, Bush and his fellow Republicans do not respond out of the instinct of self-interest when dealing with their concerns. Helping low-income blacks is a matter of charity to them, not necessity. The condescension in their attitude intensifies when it comes to New Orleans, which is 67 percent black and largely irrelevant to GOP political ambitions. ... Considered in this light, the actions and inactions now being picked apart are readily explicable. The president drastically reduced budget requests from the Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the levees around New Orleans because there was no effective pressure on him to agree. When the levees broke on Tuesday, Aug. 30, no urge from the political gut overrode his natural instinct to spend another day vacationing at his ranch. When Bush finally got himself to the Gulf Coast three days later, he did his hugging in Biloxi, Miss., which is 71 percent white, with a mayor, governor, and two senators who are all Republicans. Bush's memorable comments were about rebuilding Sen. Trent Lott's porch and about how he used to enjoy getting hammered in New Orleans. Only when a firestorm of criticism and political damage broke out over the federal government's callousness did Bush open his eyes to black suffering."

http://slate.msn.com/id/2125812/

Dreadsox said:

Apparently one form of discrimination is tolorable.

Yes, please do try to keep that in mind in the future. ;) :p

Seriously, I think if there was any discrimination at play here, it had more to do with poverty being invisible in our country than black or white. We can't pretend race and poverty don't correlate in the US, but neither are they they same. Either way, call me naive, but I do hope that we might learn our national lesson and INVEST in our infrastrucuture. Which yes, kids, does mean taxes and government, preferably staffed by folks who have not padded their resumes. :mad:

diamond said:

and that is the point.
nobody should ever balme a politician for a natural disaster, and I do believe that folk who do will be held accountable and showed the error of their ways (at a future date) when it causes division instead of unity in a tragedy.

db9

Wow, you never stop do you?
Um no shit, did you see Katrina somehow taken out of MY equation?

The line that was originally quoted and prompted this line was that I said, "SCREWED by many in many different ways" I see no partisan lines or any subtraction of Katrina anywhere in that line. I do believe these people were screwed by Katrina.

Next time read what you quote. The rest I won't even bother with...

diamond said:

and that is the point.

db9

Who is blaming politicians for natural disaster? We are blaming politicians for their ineptness in responding TO that natural disaster. BIG DIFFERENCE.

nbcrusader said:

Katrina didn't beat Kerry in 2004. Someone has to pay.

oh come on.

we have a failure of government -- no matter republican or democrat, all levels failed the people of the Gulf Coast.

however, as Melon has pointed out, very specific decisions made by the Bush administration contributed not to the creation of the hurricane but to the conditions that contributed to the aftermath. and many Democrats went along with them.

namkcuR said:

Who is blaming politicians for natural disaster? We are blaming politicians for their ineptness in responding TO that natural disaster. BIG DIFFERENCE.

some are balaming the polictians for not having the levees re-enforced..when the more prudent thing to have done in the moment was to evacuate the citizens there.
instead the blame was shifted to ppl in wash, by ppl like kayne and others (some who court his views here)claiming that GW doesnt like them cuz theyre either Black Poor or Democrat or born on tues, and live in a Blue state etc etc add nauseum as it's all lies.

This is the pathology I see from the left, Mr Irvine.

Leaders on the ground in their state NOT taking immediate action to save their citizens IS THE ISSUE AT HAND.

Anything less is a diversion.

db9

Last edited:
diamond said:

some are balaming the polictians for not having the levees re-enforced..when the more prudent thing to have done in the moment was to evacuate the citizens there.
instead the blame was shifted to ppl in wash, by ppl like kayne and others (some who court his views here)claiming that GW doesnt like them cuz theyre either Black Poor or Democrat or born on tues, and live in a Blue state etc etc add nauseum as it's all lies.

This is the pathology I see from the left, Mr Irvine.

Leaders on the ground in their state NOT taking immediate action to save their citizens IS THE ISSUE AT HAND.

Anything less is a diversion.

db9

does the federal government bear no responsibility, Diamond?

also, does criticism from the right in regards to the president's handling of the crisis also fall under your pathology rubrick?

diamond said:
brilliant..but even it's true..its still a tragedy that anybody had to die, so that those in power can exploit the deaths for their quest of power and then giving ample oppurtunity for Mrs S and Irvine to claim they weren't manipulated.:sexywink:

db9

Diamond,
As I have already explained in other threads, the fact that someone rejects your interpretation of events does not mean that they have been manipulated any more than you have been manipulated into holding your opinions. Please stop dragging these claims of manipulation into other threads and note that it is perfectly possible to disagree with another person's views without accusing them of being manipulated or labelling their views pathological.

Thanks,
*Fizz.

Back
Top Bottom