Scientology Sux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say that it aims to turn its members into slaves but nor would I call scientology a religion. Part of it, I have to admit, has to do with a dislike for their methods but mostly it's because their doctrine is so heavily focused on ensuring 'correct' personal development. It seems like psychotherapy run amok (no offence intended to any well-meaning, non-scientology psychotherapists).

I think that it deserves the label religion as much as a few other groups, the shakedowns are the exception but the brainwashing and coersion definitely put it up there.

Hail Xenu!

It's more of a cult than anything. Although, L. Ron Hubbard did say the best way to make money was to start a religion.

Sounds like a healthy dose of spiritual truth to me!!!!!

:|

How do you think religions expand? They are memetic viruses and they are subject to cultural selection, unless your religion can dominate the society it will die off in the long run - scientology doesn't seem like it can last since it has such small influence and the internet has killed the mistery.

Last edited:
I think converting a bunch of Hollywood types was a dumb thing to do, too. It's totally working against them. Instead of spreading their crap, it's exposing it.

A_Wanderer said:
I think that it deserves the label religion as much as a few other groups, the shakedowns are the exception but the brainwashing and coersion definitely put it up there.

Hail Xenu!

brainwashing and coercian would classify it as a cult, not a religion. I know of no organization classified as a "religion" that brainwashes, and can only think of a few instances in which a modern day organization classified as a religion "coerces" anyone into acceptance. Modern day Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism don't coerce. Islam seems to be coerced in some middle eastern countries, but not here in the states.

The Church of Scientology doesn't teach religion. It's a cult that's mainly out to make money. They have a program to develop the individual and they don't like competition. That's why they spend so much time and effort trying to discredit psychiatry. This turns me off as I am a satisfied psychiatric patient.

80sU2isBest said:

brainwashing and coercian would classify it as a cult, not a religion. I know of no organization classified as a "religion" that brainwashes,

i think this is a debatable point.

80sU2isBest said:
brainwashing and coercian would classify it as a cult, not a religion. I know of no organization classified as a "religion" that brainwashes, and can only think of a few instances in which a modern day organization classified as a religion "coerces" anyone into acceptance. Modern day Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism don't coerce. Islam seems to be coerced in some middle eastern countries, but not here in the states.

It is intellectually dishonest to lump cults and religion together - except for IRS requirements, but they operate on a different plane altogether.

washingtondc1493ve.jpg

"None of you know the history of Scientology..."

washingtondc1548tp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom