Scientology Fronties - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I guess we should define the word "cult".

Using the following:

NOUN:
a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

Just about anything could be considered "cult".

Old 02-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

blue crack????

Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
If we use the definition of cult as is commonly used and understood in religious studies and more importantly sociology, Christianity does not broadly fit, not even remotely. You can possibly make the argument for some of its sects, but generally speaking, no.

Now if you are using a different definition of cult, then I suppose it's possible.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

www.xenu.net

A great source of truly disturbing information.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Since I view the Bible as akin to fairytales (with about as much credibility to me as L. Ron Hubbard's book), and the Pope as a false God, and that people give him power and place him upon a throne with ridiculous clothes (not singling out Catholicism here but it's such an obvious example), all that pomp and circumstance which speaks more of ego and worshiping personalities than genuine spirituality to me, the accusations that you will burn in a firey pit of hell if you don't follow certain beliefs and lifestyles and in some cases, tithe 10% of your earnings to the church, yes it can easily appear that people have been massively brainwashed. To me, that is cultish. But the point is, to an outsider another's faith-based beliefs can appear to be cultish because it's not so easy to understand another's religious beliefs. I frankly don't give a crap that people think my spiritual practice is cultish; that is as absurd an idea to me as the idea that Christianity is cultish may be to a Christian. People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).
Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Since I view the Bible as akin to fairytales (with about as much credibility to me as L. Ron Hubbard's book), and the Pope as a false God, and that people give him power and place him upon a throne with ridiculous clothes (not singling out Catholicism here but it's such an obvious example), all that pomp and circumstance which speaks more of ego and worshiping personalities than genuine spirituality to me, the accusations that you will burn in a firey pit of hell if you don't follow certain beliefs and lifestyles and in some cases, tithe 10% of your earnings to the church, yes it can easily appear that people have been massively brainwashed. To me, that is cultish. But the point is, to an outsider another's faith-based beliefs can appear to be cultish because it's not so easy to understand another's religious beliefs. I frankly don't give a crap that people think my spiritual practice is cultish; that is as absurd an idea to me as the idea that Christianity is cultish may be to a Christian. People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).

Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
If we use the definition of cult as is commonly used and understood in religious studies and more importantly sociology, Christianity does not broadly fit, not even remotely. You can possibly make the argument for some of its sects, but generally speaking, no.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #23
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

the Pope as a false God.....

......tithe 10% of your earnings to the church

People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).

I just wanted to shed some light on this: The Pope is not considered a "God", false or otherwise. He is the head of the Catholic Church and when he speaks he is addressing his fellow Catholics.
Non-Catholics seem to want to weigh in on what he is saying even though as you state above, "People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights..."
Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Scientology is scary at so many levels.
In a pluralistic society, why should other belief system be labeled “scary”?

These people are less of a threat to America than many others that want their beliefs imposed on others.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Intangible entities that oversee everything that exists? I understand the need for it, and respect those who believe, but I will always hold with science over myth.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I guess if one doesn't believe in anything, or believes in everything, there is no framework to realize one group or another is scary.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

These people are less of a threat to America than many others that want their beliefs imposed on others.
Partly when they brainwash people to get them off medication ~ a free society means being allowed to point that out.