Scientific M - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 AM
I'm sure you would get all the attention that suchan outfit deserves, but you wouldn't get a "Jesus Christ condemns that outfit".

Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #32
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:35 PM
I'd hope it wouldn't as it speaks for itself on thinking we might know what Jesus would or would not condemn.
Good thing we aren't talking about Jesus though.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I'm sure you would get all the attention that suchan outfit deserves, but you wouldn't get a "Jesus Christ condemns that outfit".

when i went to St.Peter's church in vatican city, it had signs that half sleve clothes and half pants are NOT allowed.

but on a whole i seem to agree with NBC in this thread
Old 05-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

This thread won't be closed, so lay off the insults guys. We'll pretend it's a bar and rather than close it down, we'll throw out the trouble makers.
analogy of thread in which islam is discussed with a bar with problematic people wont go down well by the creator of thread, i think

but i think he is very busy stating.. statements like
smoking is the FASTEST growing habit in the world...
or prostitution is the FASTEST growing occupation in the world..
so does statements mean a THING.

i recommend people to think without their religious glasses ON else they JUST see with what they want to see. And somebody the realisation will creep in - the whole life was based on some old book - the existence was a FAKE.. but FAKE is what human likes best...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
insults guys.

Yes BAN THAT GUY !!! atleast warn him

jk
Old 05-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #36
Jesus Online

Seriously, stop trying to cause trouble.

+

More seriously, did you know that prostitution is one of the oldest professions? Without religion coming into the debate, it always has been and always will be a very strong and I'd guess a growing part of a lot of societies.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So if I walked into your church with too much make-up, a skirt short enough to be a belt, fish nets and a boob tube, none of you would cast an eye at me and wonder?

I do not intend this at you personally nbc, but I find that very hard to believe. It is a nice theory, but it doesn't work in reality.
The priest at my church has made statements about appropriate attire for mass from the pulpit, and it's also been the topic of attention in the church newsletter. So while no one is going to be told "Jesus Christ condemns that shirt" or whatever, there's getting to be quite an uproar over some clothing worn at church. Needless to say, clothing worn to other places is another matter. When I go to the art studio, I have to wear clothes I don't mind getting stained because acrylic, in particular, doesn't wash out once its dried. Also around here the fact that most of the neighborhoods are really conservative is an issue. I can't go to the Whistlestop District, which is where the studio is, and offend the neighbors, it's a residential district. As for public places like the libraries there are dress codes for employees.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Hmm. One of my friends just moved to Texas for college and the church she attends there has really strict guidelines for what people can wear at church. The women have to wear skirts and there's even some sort of rule about how long the skirts must be. Apparently the church does base their dress guidelines on what they think the Bible says about people's dress (I don't remember what precisely, but I can always ask her if anyone cares that much. ) so it does sound like that church in particular believes that their religion condemns certain styles of dress.

So would you say that church is wrong in its belief that their religion does place some sort of restriction on the type of clothes its followers should wear?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't doubt that individual congregations have all sorts of rules.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm sure that was the answer to *some* question, it just wasn't the answer to mine.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

To answer your question, standards for dress would be a "disputable" matter, not specifically addressed by Scripture but not serious enough to create a schism.

I know you wanted a black & white answer
Old 05-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

Yes BAN THAT GUY !!! atleast warn him
Old 05-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard
I think you've misinterpretted what he's said. Hopefully this is what he means...

One of the precepts of Islam is that one who worships God can only do so accepting that God surpasses definition. In this manner, faith is based on something ephemeral... not something confined to an object or artifact. This is a theme relevant to most world religions... to manifest or question the divine is outside the context of human ability, which is a concept that gave rise to the taboo of idols, polytheistic worship (in JudeoChristian text), and even the blasphemy associated with using a name of God (the records of Moses, Mohammed, any of the prophets... exhibit this).

I think what Salim meant by creation-worship, was having faith in a human construction rather than an omniscient one.
I was asking a question, AND making an observation about something different.

I understand the precepts of Islam. I am not sure what he said is the same thing as you said though. At least I don't see it. He did after speak of deciphering the "true" religion through reason and intellect (faith in human construction of the divine). If this isn't "creation-worship" as you describe, I don't know what is.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:24 PM   #44
War Child

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Salim, despite your post, I still don't know what you mean by "creation-worship."
Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #45
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Hmm. One of my friends just moved to Texas for college and the church she attends there has really strict guidelines for what people can wear at church. The women have to wear skirts and there's even some sort of rule about how long the skirts must be. Apparently the church does base their dress guidelines on what they think the Bible says about people's dress (I don't remember what precisely, but I can always ask her if anyone cares that much. ) so it does sound like that church in particular believes that their religion condemns certain styles of dress.

So would you say that church is wrong in its belief that their religion does place some sort of restriction on the type of clothes its followers should wear?

Is it the 'church' or religion, or the people who make up that church and or religion who are condemning?