Sciencetology and Anti-Depressants - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

reading through all the stuff, it seems realtively harmless, the philosophies behind it. mostly New Age-y self-help stuff that's everywhere. if it feels good, do it, i suppose ...
I wouldn't exactly say harmless...
The link that Dieman had posted before is a great one, you can spend hours digging through it. This is a little bit of what the Sci's believe -

"Further, as one progresses through a series of auditing “levels,” one can eventually be restored to native state and can attain the status of “operating thetan,” wherein one is free of attachments to the body and, even while “exterior” to (outside) the body, one can consciously control matter, energy, space, time, thought, and life. Hubbard's writings and lectures include many tantalizing details of the god-like abilities that may be gained through auditing.

For most individual Scientologists, recovering these god-like abilities (and encouraging and assisting others to do so as well) is the primary goal of participation in Scientology. The “levels” through which a participant progresses make up what is called “The Bridge to Total Freedom.” Progress through all the levels of the “Bridge” often takes many years of dedicated study and practice, and the cost in fees for services for the Bridge is currently estimated at approximately $300,000 - $500,000 in US dollars. "

http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/6.htm

Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I don't like the anti-psychology stuff that Scientology's come out with. Some other autistics I know are boycotting Tom Cruise's movie to protest his comments about Brooke Shields and anti-depressants. Not that it will do anything except make a personal statement, and I'm not involved in the boycott personally anyway. They ran a ludicrous campaign against Prozac. This is what pisses me off. If they'd leave us the hell alone I wouldn't shudder every time I have to pick up Hubbard's book at work. I normally couldn't care less what other people do about religion, it's their business.
Yeah, that's my issue with it too. I don't really care what people choose for themselves, it's when they attack others and their choices I get pissed off.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
[B]

I wouldn't exactly say harmless...

okay.

no more harmful than any other religion.

and i notice that Scientology shares some elements of Right Wing Conservative Politicized Christianity's contempt for psychotherapy.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #49
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Actually, I would disagree, Irvine. I'd say it's noticeably more harmful.

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/
Old 06-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Yeah, that's my issue with it too. I don't really care what people choose for themselves, it's when they attack others and their choices I get pissed off.
Yes, and I happen to believe they are picking on me and my whole lifestyle because so much of it is therapy for autism which I personally accept as a medical problem. Hell, the art studio I work at is specifically for autistics.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

okay.

no more harmful than any other religion.

and i notice that Scientology shares some elements of Right Wing Conservative Politicized Christianity's contempt for psychotherapy.
Ive never been in a christian church that had contempt for therapy.
Its overmedication thats the biggest issue
Covering the manifestation of a mental or emotional problem without attacking the root issue
Old 06-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl

Ive never been in a christian church that had contempt for therapy.
Its overmedication thats the biggest issue
Covering the manifestation of a mental or emotional problem without attacking the root issue

i'm specifically referring to the APA's announcement, in the mid-1970s, that homosexuality was not a disorder.

this statement has been attacked by right wing christianist groups ever since. no, of course not all, but many do, especially the CWA and Dobson's ilk. i also smell strands of anti-semitism in many of these denouncements of psychology.

there was also a thread on exorcism/possession that i perused earlier in the day, and the idea that someone is actually possessed by an evil spirit is, to me, also contemptuous of psychology and total nonsense. what that person needs is therapy, not exorcism.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Actually, I would disagree, Irvine. I'd say it's noticeably more harmful.

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/

and i can show you stuff done by the Mormon church where they use shock therapy (tying electrodes to the genitals) to try and "cure" gay men from getting aroused when they see erotic pictures of other men.

again, i don't think the teachings, in and of themselves, strike me as particularly bad.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

shock therapy
Old 06-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Yes, and I happen to believe they are picking on me and my whole lifestyle because so much of it is therapy for autism which I personally accept as a medical problem. Hell, the art studio I work at is specifically for autistics.
But verte, Tom really cares for you. He CARES!

Yeah, I really find his assumption that everyone on anti depressants is completely clueless about what they are taking, but he knows all about them, incredibly obnoxious.

But, the guy's an actor, not a doctor of any kind. Just because he says he knows doesn't mean he actually does. And I certainly hope most people understand that.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:35 AM
I saw the interview with Tom Cruise, and he made my blood boil. I suffer with depression, and I'm on medication and therapy as well. The drugs are not a cure all, but without them, it has made me deal with the illness, in order for me to function with life. I'ts hard for people to understand depression, unless they have been through it themselves. I hope and pray that Tom Cruise never has to deal with it.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

his life is also like - perfect
Old 06-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
I saw the interview with Tom Cruise, and he made my blood boil. I suffer with depression, and I'm on medication and therapy as well. The drugs are not a cure all, but without them, it has made me deal with the illness, in order for me to function with life. I'ts hard for people to understand depression, unless they have been through it themselves. I hope and pray that Tom Cruise never has to deal with it.
my mother in law is bipolar and she honestly cant function without lithium. She just crashes and burns and can die if she gets off her meds.
By taking them she is sane enough to deal with her emotional issues
I know where those of you who are on these kinds of medications are talking about. In order to even levelheadedly tackle issues you have to take the stuff.
When I was a child I was prescribed antidepressants because, well, I was depressed and unhappy and angry all the time. But it wasnt necessarily a brain thing, but an emotional thing.
Technically I have been diagnosed as mildly bipolar in that, because of chemicals my moods and state of being can change quickly and seemingly for no reason at all
I chose to deal with the problems before I started medication because I wasnt emotionally or physically impaired without it
This was ten years ago or so, and Im still not on medication (though I can be a bit nutty at times and Im not ruling out being on medication later in life)
I understand both sides of the issue
Some people cant live without it
And some dont want to
Old 06-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
How can just about ever thread get tied to "right wing" Christianity????
Old 06-24-2005, 04:12 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
his life is also like - perfect
He's in a cult and about to marry for the third time. Doesn't sound like perfection to me.