Science and Religion: What do you think of Evolution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Just curious, as I'm taking a course in Physical Anthropology.

I'm a Catholic. I've been raised as such, I believe in God, etc.

I went to a Catholic High School where they taught evolution.

My teacher told us that he was at the conclusion that religion and science go hand in hand. That just because God created the earth, doesn't mean that it hasn't changed over millions and millions of years. I'm quite inclined to agree.

I find it difficult to validate both creation stories though, i.e. Genesis and The Big Bang theory. I think the scientific part of me believes the Bang Theory when I'm in a science class. The religious part believes in God and his doing the rest of the time.

What do you think? Had the earth changed? He we evolved from apes? Do science and religion go hand in hand or is one fixed over the other?

Just curious.

I am Catholic as well, and I was taught "God-created" evolution as well. I have no problem at all believing that evolution, as a scientific process, has been an instrument of God to create the world and the universe.

Melon

I think we all appeared as a result of science , and natural process. I don't buy any of this " God Almighty " bullshit . there are too much brain-washed people these days .

pinkfloyd said:
I think we all appeared as a result of science , and natural process. I don't buy any of this " God Almighty " bullshit . there are too much brain-washed people these days .

Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Do you think you are a result of a random "natural" process that started with a primordial slime.

For decades, evolution has been taught in our schools unchallenged. The mathematical impossiblility of evolution is ignored. Who are the brain-washed people?

Part of the problem relates to the Creation story of the Bible - do you believe the "7 days" was actually 7 days, or was it used figuratively? The only possible biblical link I could make is the verse in 2nd Peter 3:8 - "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."
Even if this were the case, that would mean 6000 years by the time Adam was created, about 2000 years (if I remember correctly) to the birth of Christ, and another 2000 years to today - the earth couldn't be much more than 10,000 years old at the max - not the "billions and billions" that some claim.

There are too many unanswered questions with any theory outside of creation - why is there no "in-between" man/ape; the law of entropy (things tend to go from order to disorder, not disorder to more ordered); whatever law it is that matter can not be created nor destroyed (doesn't jive with the big bang theory); there are many many more examples. I think it takes more faith to believe these theories than that of an Intelligent Designer.

pinkfloyd said:
I couldnt have said it better myslef.

pinkfloyd said:
there are too much brain-washed people these days .

Offensive!!! Offensive!!!

babu1.gif

pinkfloyd said:

If you don't believe religion and science mix, FINE. But people aren't brainwashed just because they believe in something you don't. And I don't think a lot of people here appreciate their religion being reduced to " 'God Almighty' bullshit."

DrTeeth said:
Care to elaborate? :)

I don't have my sources with me at work, but the model (in its most basic form) goes as follows:

Take the most basic single cell life form. It is made up of X number of components. If you had a "primordial soup" of these building block components and they tried to form this single cell 1000 times per second, the amount of time it would take to form this single basic cell (by random chance) substantially exceeds the estimated age of the universe (as measured by the evolutionists).

I can go back and fill in the details and give you the scientific sources later.

Not the kind of stuff that is considered when evolution is taught in US schools. I've seen college level textbooks say, in essence, that it just happened.

Peace.

The idea that the Earth is only 10,000 years old is flat out ridiculous. 2 Peter 3:8, again, discusses the nature of symbolism--but, like Genesis, it appears that people are forgetting this symbolism and taking that literally instead. Time, to me, is irrelevant to God. But does one wish to look at the evidence of an ancient Earth?

Carbon-dating, itself, should be good evidence, not to mention dinosaur bones, ancient human bones, meteor impacts, sediments, plate tectonics, and myriads of extinct species in unlikely places. Ever wonder how tropical plant fossils ended up embedded in Antarctica?

I mean, come ON. Darwinism is certainly open to criticism--and, hello, it has by science, if anyone has paid attention--but to dismiss the entire logic of evolution, because one little tweak here and there--and to give it up for the completely preposterous notion of literal creationism, which has zero scientific evidence--is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. While we're at it, why don't we teach that the Earth and the universe were created by the boogie man? I mean, you can't prove that he DIDN'T create the Earth and the universe in five seconds only 150 years ago, after he sneezed up everything we know now...

Melon

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

If you don't believe religion and science mix, FINE. But people aren't brainwashed just because they believe in something you don't. And I don't think a lot of people here appreciate their religion being reduced to " 'God Almighty' bullshit."
I dont think pinkfloyd should have to tip toe around this board just because some people might not appreciate his beliefs.

pinkfloyd said:

im sorry but this really pisses me off. pink, you make it really hard for me to like you and your replies to some threads over the past few weeks. this is the most offensive thing i have read.

i edited my post because i said something that i shouldn't have put. if you read it im sorry.

Last edited:
RavenStar said:

I dont think pinkfloyd should have to tip toe around this board just because some people might not appreciate his beliefs.

no but making offensive statements that offer NOTHING to the argument at hand is annoying and ridiculous.

OH HOLY WAR

it pisses you off and you don't like it , because you know , i'm right , and you know it's truth . How about ancient greece gods , are you gonna pray for them too ??? I'm just curious , cause you don't have ANY EVIDENCE or solid proof about what you're speaking . sure i'll leave and join Z Edge .

pinkfloyd said:
it pisses you off and you don't like it , because you know , i'm right , and you know it's truth . How about ancient greece gods , are you gonna pray for them too ??? I'm just curious , cause you don't have ANY EVIDENCE or solid proof about what you're speaking . sure i'll leave and join Z Edge .

you're the smartest person in the world.

yeah, i said something i shouldnt have. i edited my post to say i was sorry. but there are quite a few believers on this board. are you telling us that we're all brainwashed? your not right. your wrong.

OOOOOps .....MOOOOOOOOOOO

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air
You better watch out
There may be dogs aabout
I've looked over jordan and i have seen
things are not what they seem

9/11 9/11 9/11
What do you get for pretending the dangers not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors , into the valley of steel
What a Surprise !!!
A look of terminalo shock in your eyes
Now things are really what they seem
NOOOOOOOOO , this is not a bad dream .

9/11 9/11 9/11

" the lord is my shepherd . I shall not want
he makes me down to lie
Through Pastures green He leadeth me The silent waters by
With Bright Knives He Releaseth My Soul
He Maketh Me To Hang On hooks In High Places
He Converteth Me To Lamb Cutlets
For Lo , He hath great power , and great hunger
when cometh the day we lowly ones
through quiet reflection and great dedication
master the art of carate
Lo , we shall rise up
And then we'll make the buggers eyes water. "

Blearing and babbling i fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Have you heard the news ?
the Dogs are dead !!
You better stay home
and do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old .........

Re: OOOOOps .....MOOOOOOOOOOO

pinkfloyd said:
Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air
You better watch out
There may be dogs aabout
I've looked over jordan and i have seen
things are not what they seem

9/11 9/11 9/11
What do you get for pretending the dangers not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors , into the valley of steel
What a Surprise !!!
A look of terminalo shock in your eyes
Now things are really what they seem
NOOOOOOOOO , this is not a bad dream .

9/11 9/11 9/11

" the lord is my shepherd . I shall not want
he makes me down to lie
Through Pastures green He leadeth me The silent waters by
With Bright Knives He Releaseth My Soul
He Maketh Me To Hang On hooks In High Places
He Converteth Me To Lamb Cutlets
For Lo , He hath great power , and great hunger
when cometh the day we lowly ones
through quiet reflection and great dedication
master the art of carate
Lo , we shall rise up
And then we'll make the buggers eyes water. "

Blearing and babbling i fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Have you heard the news ?
the Dogs are dead !!
You better stay home
and do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old .........

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time making the connection for how this relates to religion vs evolution debate........:scratch:

Re: Re: OOOOOps .....MOOOOOOOOOOO

bonosloveslave said:

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time making the connection for how this relates to religion vs evolution debate........:scratch:

It has to do with brainwashing and such.

YOU GOTTA BE CRAZY

oh no , how did you find out , how long did it take to figure ??

* runs like hell and goes down with bubbles into deep carribean sea >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i'm washing my little bottles .....
I'm drunk as a cow so
vodka and Orange juice & everything else for everybody + Vanilla coke for Ravin star .... My party tonight yayayayyayaya

U2Bama said:
And the little goober is throwing in some lyrics from Pink Floyd's ANIMALS album for effect! How clever!
not quite as clever as people who quote the bible for effect.

Back
Top Bottom