Science and Religion: What do you think of Evolution? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2002, 01:59 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Science and Religion: What do you think of Evolution?

Just curious, as I'm taking a course in Physical Anthropology.

I'm a Catholic. I've been raised as such, I believe in God, etc.

I went to a Catholic High School where they taught evolution.

My teacher told us that he was at the conclusion that religion and science go hand in hand. That just because God created the earth, doesn't mean that it hasn't changed over millions and millions of years. I'm quite inclined to agree.

I find it difficult to validate both creation stories though, i.e. Genesis and The Big Bang theory. I think the scientific part of me believes the Bang Theory when I'm in a science class. The religious part believes in God and his doing the rest of the time.

What do you think? Had the earth changed? He we evolved from apes? Do science and religion go hand in hand or is one fixed over the other?

Just curious.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:29 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I am Catholic as well, and I was taught "God-created" evolution as well. I have no problem at all believing that evolution, as a scientific process, has been an instrument of God to create the world and the universe.

Melon

Old 11-04-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
Banned

I think we all appeared as a result of science , and natural process. I don't buy any of this " God Almighty " bullshit . there are too much brain-washed people these days .
Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
I think we all appeared as a result of science , and natural process. I don't buy any of this " God Almighty " bullshit . there are too much brain-washed people these days .
Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Do you think you are a result of a random "natural" process that started with a primordial slime.

For decades, evolution has been taught in our schools unchallenged. The mathematical impossiblility of evolution is ignored. Who are the brain-washed people?
Old 11-04-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Part of the problem relates to the Creation story of the Bible - do you believe the "7 days" was actually 7 days, or was it used figuratively? The only possible biblical link I could make is the verse in 2nd Peter 3:8 - "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."
Even if this were the case, that would mean 6000 years by the time Adam was created, about 2000 years (if I remember correctly) to the birth of Christ, and another 2000 years to today - the earth couldn't be much more than 10,000 years old at the max - not the "billions and billions" that some claim.

There are too many unanswered questions with any theory outside of creation - why is there no "in-between" man/ape; the law of entropy (things tend to go from order to disorder, not disorder to more ordered); whatever law it is that matter can not be created nor destroyed (doesn't jive with the big bang theory); there are many many more examples. I think it takes more faith to believe these theories than that of an Intelligent Designer.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:56 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The mathematical impossiblility of evolution is ignored.
Care to elaborate?
Old 11-04-2002, 04:14 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
I couldnt have said it better myslef.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:07 AM

Quote:
there are too much brain-washed people these days .
Offensive!!! Offensive!!!

Old 11-04-2002, 04:33 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
If you don't believe religion and science mix, FINE. But people aren't brainwashed just because they believe in something you don't. And I don't think a lot of people here appreciate their religion being reduced to " 'God Almighty' bullshit."
Old 11-04-2002, 04:53 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Care to elaborate?
I don't have my sources with me at work, but the model (in its most basic form) goes as follows:

Take the most basic single cell life form. It is made up of X number of components. If you had a "primordial soup" of these building block components and they tried to form this single cell 1000 times per second, the amount of time it would take to form this single basic cell (by random chance) substantially exceeds the estimated age of the universe (as measured by the evolutionists).

I can go back and fill in the details and give you the scientific sources later.

Not the kind of stuff that is considered when evolution is taught in US schools. I've seen college level textbooks say, in essence, that it just happened.

Peace.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

The idea that the Earth is only 10,000 years old is flat out ridiculous. 2 Peter 3:8, again, discusses the nature of symbolism--but, like Genesis, it appears that people are forgetting this symbolism and taking that literally instead. Time, to me, is irrelevant to God. But does one wish to look at the evidence of an ancient Earth?

Carbon-dating, itself, should be good evidence, not to mention dinosaur bones, ancient human bones, meteor impacts, sediments, plate tectonics, and myriads of extinct species in unlikely places. Ever wonder how tropical plant fossils ended up embedded in Antarctica?

I mean, come ON. Darwinism is certainly open to criticism--and, hello, it has by science, if anyone has paid attention--but to dismiss the entire logic of evolution, because one little tweak here and there--and to give it up for the completely preposterous notion of literal creationism, which has zero scientific evidence--is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. While we're at it, why don't we teach that the Earth and the universe were created by the boogie man? I mean, you can't prove that he DIDN'T create the Earth and the universe in five seconds only 150 years ago, after he sneezed up everything we know now...

Melon
Old 11-04-2002, 05:19 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

If you don't believe religion and science mix, FINE. But people aren't brainwashed just because they believe in something you don't. And I don't think a lot of people here appreciate their religion being reduced to " 'God Almighty' bullshit."
I dont think pinkfloyd should have to tip toe around this board just because some people might not appreciate his beliefs.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:45 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:

im sorry but this really pisses me off. pink, you make it really hard for me to like you and your replies to some threads over the past few weeks. this is the most offensive thing i have read.

i edited my post because i said something that i shouldn't have put. if you read it im sorry.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
why don't we teach that the Earth and the universe were created by the boogie man?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar

I dont think pinkfloyd should have to tip toe around this board just because some people might not appreciate his beliefs.
no but making offensive statements that offer NOTHING to the argument at hand is annoying and ridiculous.