Schwarzenegger on Illegal Immigration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Schwarzenegger talks tough on illegal immigration

http://usatoday.printthis.clickabil...egger-immigration_x.htm?csp=34&partnerID=1660

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said the nation's policy on preventing illegal immigration is too lax, telling a group of newspaper publishers the United States needs to "close the borders."

Schwarzenegger said, "This is a very important debate. I think it's necessary that we solve the problems rather than try to run the other way."

"Close the borders in California and all across Mexico and in the United States," Schwarzenegger said Tuesday at the annual meeting of the Newspaper Association of America. "Because I think it is just unfair to have all those people coming across, have the borders open the way it is, and have this kind of lax situation."

The Republican governor also suggested exploring several policy proposals aimed at addressing the immigration crisis, including President Bush's proposed guest worker program and legislation sponsored by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., to pave the way for undocumented workers already living in the United States to attain legal status.

"This is a very important debate. I think it's necessary that we solve the problems rather than try to run the other way. It's a hot issue," Schwarzenegger said.

Schwarzenegger's remarks were later clarified by his spokeswoman, Margita Thompson, who said the governor supports greater security along the nation's borders but was not calling for the borders to be completely closed.

"The governor has talked before about the need to ensure that immigrants are put on a path toward fully participating in California's economy," Thompson said. "But he feels they need to enter the country the right way, and must not undermine important security issues. He feels that the border needs to be secure."

It's not the first time Schwarzenegger, who emigrated to the United States from Austria as a young man, has become entangled in the emotional debate surrounding illegal immigration. During the recall election, Schwarzenegger was repeatedly asked to explain why he had voted for Proposition 187, a 1994 ballot measure to deny many basic services to illegal immigrants. And shortly after entering office, he derailed a law passed and signed by former Democratic Gov. Gray Davis that would have allowed illegal immigrants to apply for drivers licenses.

In February, Schwarzenegger endorsed Congressional legislation authorizing the construction of a fence along California's border with Mexico. The proposal has sparked opposition from the state's Coastal Commission, as well as many environmentalists and Democrats.

In a statement, Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, D-Los Angeles, said Schwarzenegger's comments reflected badly on the state's "productive" relationship with Mexico.

"The Governor should ratchet down his rhetoric and retreat from this narrow-minded approach to immigration policy," Nunez said. "Closing our borders to commerce and culture is an idea that comes from political extremists, not rational policy-makers."

14may.jpg

Have you see the movie 'A Day Without a Mexican'? One morning California wakes up to find that one third of its population has disappeared. It's a great movie and gives you food for thought re: immigration debate.

http://www.adaywithoutamexican.com

i think we need to think about the reason why so many people are entering the country outside of the existing immigration system in the first place--are they fleeing persecution? looking for a better living to support themselves and their families? in search of the ever elusive american dream? there has to be a compelling reason for someone to take the risk of being an illegal immigrant.

if we could find ways to improve the standards of living in the countries people are running from, the world would be a better place for everyone. closing the border and building fences to keep people out is not going to address the root of the problem, and will probably only exacerbate the situation.

Illegal immigration only shift the economic burden to a new group of taxpayers. The costs to California of illegal immigration is in the billions.

R8drgurl said:
14may.jpg

Have you see the movie 'A Day Without a Mexican'? One morning California wakes up to find that one third of its population has disappeared. It's a great movie and gives you food for thought re: immigration debate.

http://www.adaywithoutamexican.com

Any Mexicans we need can enter the nation legally like everyone else. It's not unrealistic either, considering that the agricultural industry's need for migrant labor mostly comes from Mexico, and they enter the country legally.

The GOP will never end the tide of illegal immigration from Mexico, because too much of American industry thrives on cheap, undocumented labor. Midwestern towns with sudden spikes in Mexican populations most certainly are thriving on illegal immigration and the businesses know it. They hire illegal immigrants knowingly, and they also know that the government will never do anything about it. No question about it.

Democrats won't pursue it, because they are uninterested in offending minority populations, whose votes they rely on increasingly these days.

Let's face it. Nothing will be done to solve something that is profitable on both ends of the political spectrum, and who loses? The American worker, whose wages will continue to plummet.

Melon

Apparently the Governator doesn't have a good grasp of the English language. According to his spokesperson, he didn't mean close the borders. He meant they should be secured.

Still, a step further than quite a few politically correct politicians are willing to go on the issue. Gray Davis supported illegal immigration to the point where it was irrational.

JessicaAnn:
Apparently the Governator doesn't have a good grasp of the English language.

You just might be right.

UPDATE:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/politics/4399001/detail.html

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger moved quickly Wednesday to apologize for suggesting that California's border with Mexico should be closed in an effort to solve the nation's illegal immigration problem.

Schwarzenegger said he misspoke in comments to newspaper editors and publishers Tuesday, intending to say the border should be secured. The governor blamed the error on his sometimes flawed use of English -- his second language.

"Yesterday was a total screw-up in the words I used," the governor said at a press conference. "Because instead of closing, I meant securing. I think maybe my English, I need to go back to school and study a little bit."

The contrition seemed to quell the issue at the Capitol. Hispanic lawmakers -- many of whom are also rival Democrats -- said they accepted his apology.

"I don't think the governor identifies himself with that kind of rhetoric," said Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, D-Los Angeles. "I don't know why he said it but I'm very pleased he has totally removed himself from those folks who espouse that kind of hatred."

Nunez's office, however, pointed out that Schwarzenegger said something very similar in a 2003 interview with Fox TV host Bill O'Reilly.

Margita Thompson, Schwarzenegger's spokeswoman, said it was unfortunate Nunez was promoting a "story that has no merit."

She pointed out that Nunez told a reporter only Tuesday that he too may have misspoken about holding up negotiations this summer on the state budget because of a disagreement with the governor on workers' compensation reform.

On Tuesday, before the annual meeting of the Newspaper Association of America in San Francisco, Schwarzenegger said it was "unfair to have all those people coming across, have the borders open the way it is, and have this kind of lax situation."

The Republican governor backed away from those statements Wednesday, saying that while securing the border is an important issue -- he does not want to close it.

"We have a terrific relationship with Mexico," Schwarzenegger said. "I filmed four movies in Mexico, I love to go on vacation to Mexico. We have a great trade agreement with Mexico."

Thompson said that by securing the border, the governor means that existing immigration laws should be better enforced, that there should be better security that people and goods are crossing back and forth properly.

Let's just close our borders to Austrian bodybuilding Kennedy-marrying too-old-to-be-action-hero wanting-to-change-the-constitution wanna be politicians!

Back
Top Bottom