School Uniforms.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indra said:

Luckily we didn't have to wear sweaters in the cold rooms

oops!

that should have read "didn't have to wear sweaters in the hot rooms..."

:uhoh:

Uniforms are a smart idea. Conformity in dress means nothing. If it's individuality students want, they should be learning that comes from within. Uniforms are simply an outward and external leveller.

I’m glad we had to wear a uniform, even if it was horrible (pleated skirt, blouse and a TIE). There was already so much pressure to be cool and fit in, that I would have had an even worse time than I did if I’d had to come to school in my own clothes, as I’d never have had the right ones – it was bad enough on free dress days!

However, I’ve got to say, even with uniforms kids managed to show which ‘group’ they belonged to. The girls who smoked, etc wore their skirts much shorter than girls like me, and their ties were also worn shorter, whereas mine always finished at the bottom of my blouse. And the school had a VERY strict uniform policy, especially in regards to jewellery, makeup and hair accessories, which was strictly enforced. And heaven help you if you ever forgot to put your tie on. The blouses were white so girls were also able to express themselves by their choice of bra and how visible it was.

As far as I know in Australia both private and public schools require uniforms, even in primary school.

In Hamburg they introduced uniforms at one school.
But what they did was asking the students to creat some uniforms that they would like to wear. And the students came out with some pullovers and shirts that were navy blue and had a school logo.
I don't know about trousers and shoes. I think it was just black jeans and normal shoes, but the aim was to get rid of any brands.
I would be fine with such a measure.

In Australia I've got to see the uniforms and sincerely I would hate if I had to wore these.
I hate ties and all this stuff. It's just clothing from very long ago.
Girls with ties is mental torture. ;)

No, really, school uniforms maybe, but let the students participate and chose some modern stuff.

anitram said:
We were forced to wear our cardigans in winter. Except sometimes it was REALLY hot in certain classes and some teachers were reasonable but others were like "you know that winter uniform kicks in on November 1, there will be no exceptions." I mean, seriously, we were expected to sweat.

Could be Germans from the stubborness.

"No, the rules say that you must not wear jackets in summer, and I don't care that this is a trip to the south pole!"

Ties on girls:drools:

Well depends what else they are wearing:hmm:

I love ties, actually wear them quite a bit...

Anyway I have always had to wear a uniform...didn't bother me much...what bothered me more was that my school was an all boys...that was 10 kinds of hell....

A a joke about Catholic guys here is that at uni it's the first time we see a female other than our mothers, sisters or cousins...of course not really true:shifty:...no really it isn't:wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I don't think school uniforms will stop gangs and violence.

I don't think so either, and I never said that it would. I just said that I could see that problem as being a reason for implementing uniforms...at least trying to do something. For example, I remember hearing about one school not allowing baggy clothes because of the possibility of concealed weapons.

Uniforms aren't a bad idea.

At my school it was a blue skirt, tights, shirt, jumper, blazer and tie for the girls. It was a horrific looking outfit but everyone else had to wear it too. It made life easy in the mornings, no thinking required. :up:

I hate uniforms, okay not really I just hate my uniform but there's other things in my school I dislike more the fact it's an all-boys Catholic school for one...

Bonochick said:

I don't think so either, and I never said that it would. I just said that I could see that problem as being a reason for implementing uniforms...at least trying to do something. For example, I remember hearing about one school not allowing baggy clothes because of the possibility of concealed weapons.

:yes:

They may not produce actual results, but uniforms and strict dress code remove liability from the school. For example, my high school enforced a strict dress code after several teachers complained to the administration about some of the girls' tops and skirts. The students were making the teachers uncomfortable and in order to get rid of the discomfort and any chance of the girls saying "Mr so-and-so was starting down my chest!" they just said NO sleeveless clothing, NO skirts or shorts above the knees, and NO low-cut scoop or v-neck shirts, NO bra-straps, midriffs, or underwear showing. The kids can still dress however they want outside of school, but enforcing the dress code means the teachers and administrators can focus on education and not have to deal with issues that have no place in school (girls dressing like hookers, guys keeping knives in their pants, etc)

Back
Top Bottom