School Uniforms. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I always wore them and I liked it, especially in retrospect. It saved a lot of $ and you didn't have to feel like you're competing with the rich kids for designer jeans and so on.

Plus it made my choice of clothes easy in the morning.
That was my experience too. Easy, cheap, and I could dress while I was half asleep and looked none the worse for it.

I don't think wearing uniforms for school hurt our creativity or sense of self expression at all. We were each pretty damned distinct.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

I wore a uniform until I moved to Canada at 15. I really missed them, even though I hated them when I had to wear them. I constantly annoyed the nuns by pushing boundaries, but now those are some of my best memories. I still have my old school tie, however ask me about any of my non uniform stuff from here and I can't remember any of it.

Canada has a huge immigrant population, and being one myself, I think uniforms are a real equalizer, and take away the worry of being afraid you will look out of place when you are already scared about moving to a new school. I was already mocked about my accent, and I had it easy not being ESL.

I remember faces and personalities a lot clearer from my uniform days. Outside of school you had all the opportunity you needed to wear what you wanted and that was good enough for me

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
I constantly annoyed the nuns by pushing boundaries, but now those are some of my best memories.
Yeah! I've never liked to wear socks, so I would often skip the socks, but they were part of the uniform, so I'd get told off about that. There were other ways of pushing it too -- just to see if you could.

Annoying nuns is always a good time.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Yeah! I've never liked to wear socks, so I would often skip the socks, but they were part of the uniform, so I'd get told off about that. There were other ways of pushing it too -- just to see if you could.

Annoying nuns is always a good time.
We even had a phys ed uniform, a tiny skirt and under shorts. We played outdoor sports across from a college. We fell a lot. God we were evil

Yeah, the socks thing was brutal, knee socks

See - none of those types of memories from the non uniform school
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #20
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Anybody else really hoping for a picture of this?

Come to think of it, I don't think even my mom and dad have a pic of me in that uniform. That was a fun time, in Venezuela. I have some fun memories from there.

And I don't have any pics on my computer of what an amazingly cute kid I was.

'Tis a shame, I know.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
She's the One

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Damn.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't mind my school uniform. It makes mornings so much easier, and allows me to wear my nicer clothes when I go out to do something I actually enjoy.

I've never felt oppressed and I don't think it hurts in any way our sense of creativity or self-expression...I know some pretty artsy/opinionated kids and they don't see the uniform as an obstacle to express what they think/who they are. I agree that clothes are a way of expressing yourself, but they're not the only way... and in a big, multicultural school like mine, the uniform gives a sense of equality where people can't be easily categorized or dismissed based on their clothes, because we're all basically wearing the same thing.

Besides, it's really fun pushing the boundaries of the dress code, wearing clothes that look like uniform but aren't (and getting away with it), and ignoring the "change your shoes" or "please remove your sweater, it's not part of the uniform" comments from teachers and especially the hall monitors .
Old 03-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 PM
while i understand and appreciate the freedom of expression angle, i'm beginning to become more pro-uniform.

it would be nice to have kids in a place for 8 hours a day where they aren't being directly marketed to.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think uniforms squash anyone's freedom of expression. If kids can only express themselves through their clothing, they've got deeper issues than school uniforms. How about art? music? writing? theater? extracurriculars? Besides, the dress code issues at my school were mainly due to certain people feeling the need to express a lot more than their personality, if you get my drift.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I don't think uniforms squash anyone's freedom of expression. If kids can only express themselves through their clothing, they've got deeper issues than school uniforms. How about art? music? writing? theater? extracurriculars? Besides, the dress code issues at my school were mainly due to certain people feeling the need to express a lot more than their personality, if you get my drift.
Well said.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonchick

Besides, it's really fun pushing the boundaries of the dress code, wearing clothes that look like uniform but aren't (and getting away with it), and ignoring the "change your shoes" or "please remove your sweater, it's not part of the uniform" comments from teachers and especially the hall monitors .
It's so funny you mentioned the sweaters. I'm a teacher in a school with uniforms and I've been cracking down on that very thing lately. I've been pretty successful, I must admitt. I guess I'm a bit of a hardass.

I don't take personal offense at kids pushing the uniform policy, but I also feel like if I'm not going to enforce it, why have it? So I enforce it--shirts tucked in, no-look alikes, etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

We were forced to wear our cardigans in winter. Except sometimes it was REALLY hot in certain classes and some teachers were reasonable but others were like "you know that winter uniform kicks in on November 1, there will be no exceptions." I mean, seriously, we were expected to sweat.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
We were forced to wear our cardigans in winter. Except sometimes it was REALLY hot in certain classes and some teachers were reasonable but others were like "you know that winter uniform kicks in on November 1, there will be no exceptions." I mean, seriously, we were expected to sweat.
The school I went to was really old and in the winter some rooms were really hot and others were soooo cold (as in unheated and drafty). Luckily we didn't have to wear sweaters in the cold rooms and the teachers would generally let us wear coats if we needed to in the super cold rooms. I remember the very coldest rooms were the bathrooms -- the nuns apparently didn't want any dawdling!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm all about school uniforms It'd put an end to those annoying brats who wanna whine about their nonexistent rights to wear a conferderate flag, or offensive t-shirts to class.

I had to wear a uniform in college. Honestly, I thought it wasn't too bad. However, since I was a cadet, there were stricter rules on uniform upkeep (I think I spent as much time shining my shoes as I did studying!) But I liked having a minimalist wardrobe.

One thing I learned from that experience is that, when we all look the same, it encourages us to look to other ways of expressing ourselves. I certainly came more out of my shell, because I wanted to stand out. I know some people argue that uniforms strip people of identity, however, I think my experience wearing a uniform helped me find mine.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Well, I don't think I'd be THAT much of a hardass.

All our climate issues, are related to air conditioning (since the temps always the same here) so when a lot of kids started showing up in sweatshirts and jackets, because it was cold in the room I just turned the air con down and the problem was solved.