School Suspends Boy For Wearing Dress To Prom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
That's true, it doesn't really specify he's gay

This part "had no problem letting him go to Saturday's prom with another male" I guess made me assume, who knows?

I don't know many straight guys in high school that would have gone with another guy, but who knows.

melon said:
I think you have to have an IQ of 80 and an antisocial personality disorder to be a school administrator.

Melon

and zero humor of any kind

I didnt assume the guy was gay :scratch: I thought it was just a joke too.
My friend took his best friend (male) To a school dance in bondage and a dog collar :wink:
the administration was not amused.....
I showed up drunk and gave the class president freak dancing lessons and got kicked out with them :lol:
:cute: High School was a blast :|

not sure about the gay thing either ... cross dressers are usually straight; drag queens, however, are quite gay.

dunno what a boy in a prom dress qualifies as, beyond a stunt.

Irvine511 said:
not sure about the gay thing either ... cross dressers are usually straight

Oh I know, I hope you didn't think I assumed anything. Maybe they'll be another news story about this and we can find out.

All I know for sure is, I guess the straight guys at my HS would have rather gone w/ another guy than w/ me :wink:

i went to junior prom with a Mormon, and to senior prom with my best friend who's engagement party is Saturday, in Philadelphia, and Saturday night i have Vertigo tickets for, you guessed it, Philadelphia!

going to be a big weekend.

and, looking back on so much of my life and high school life, it all seems so obvious ... yet i was so confused then. it never occurred to me that i was the problem.

i did have lots of fun at both proms.

and i wore a tux. natch. ;)

verte76 said:
I actually smoked pot at my high school prom. That's right, we lit up on a balcony on the building we had the prom in. We didn't get in trouble. Of course none of the guys wore a dress........but quite honestly I don't think we would have given a damn if they had. We weren't bored, to say the least.

:ohmy: You rebel verte! From what I understand, this is what the prom is all about. We have a dance in our last year, but it isn't a big hoo-ha like an American prom seems to be. It is though, a last ditch formal occasion to get your whole year together, dressed as adults, for possibly the last function you will attend as a 'young person'. So it's a mix of roles for those attending. You dress to the nines, you get your hair done, some of the kids do something grand like one boy in my year dressing as Dracula, another wearing a bear suit. Some of my friends and I sat with some teachers in the foyer drinking alcohol. I ran out of smokes and my history teacher let me bum hers. She later on ran a car load of us to the pub, and I believe she arranged to ferry around some more students afterwards to various after parties and bars. I dont think she was the only one.

I find it curious, yet natural, for us to wonder if this boy is gay, or a cross dresser, or just an attention seeker. Yet, we all must know this doesn't actually matter. The real problem here is an assumption being seen as a bad thing. Whatever the reason for him doing this, should not be the point, nor should it change how wrong this is deemed to be - when it isn't really a big deal at all.

Here I am, two weeks away from getting my administrator's license, and people I respect are ranking on principals......

:mad:

Angela Harlem said:
principals aren't all cut from the same block, dread. you surely cannot adopt that reaction when it wasn't at you.

I certainly can....:madspit:

:wink:

Angela Harlem said:
I find it curious, yet natural, for us to wonder if this boy is gay, or a cross dresser, or just an attention seeker. Yet, we all must know this doesn't actually matter.

yeah, and i don't want to have to go all fake edge on your asses again and have to call that school to find out, either. :angry:

:wink:

Boy fined for wearing dress to prom

LAKE GENEVA, Wis., May 11 (UPI) -- A 5-foot tall, well-muscled male Wisconsin student has been suspended from school and fined for defying school orders not to wear a dress to the prom.

Kerry Lofy, 18, completed his 3-day suspension at home in Lake Geneva Wednesday, admitting to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "things got a little crazy" Saturday night at Badger High School, where he is a senior.

Lofy went to the prom with Victor Anderson, a gay friend. Lofy said he is not gay, but went with Anderson because he is his friend and he wanted to go to the prom but didn't have a date.

However, he admitted he had been warned repeatedly Friday not to wear a dress to Saturday's prom, but said he doesn't understand all the fuss.

"I wasn't hurting anybody," he said. "I wasn't preventing anyone from learning in a school environment."

Last year, he showed up to prom wearing a tuxedo he made out of duct tape, the newspaper said

I think its silly that he got suspended for it. Thats just ridiculous! I can see kicking him out of the prom or making him change and all that but jeez, c'mon!

verte76 said:
I actually smoked pot at my high school prom. That's right, we lit up on a balcony on the building we had the prom in. We didn't get in trouble. Of course none of the guys wore a dress........but quite honestly I don't think we would have given a damn if they had. We weren't bored, to say the least.

:lol: that is a great story!

I think the admins need some, maybe it would chill them out :wink:.

We all know how important it is to uphold the high moral sanctity of Prom Night.:wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
However, he admitted he had been warned repeatedly Friday not to wear a dress to Saturday's prom, but said he doesn't understand all the fuss.

"I wasn't hurting anybody," he said. "I wasn't preventing anyone from learning in a school environment."

It sounds like he made his intentions known and wore the dress to show his arrogant defiance of school administration.

Sorry, son, the world does not revolve around you.

it makes no sense to me that the school administrators would be so hung up on him wearing a dress. in the grand scheme of things, so what?

Back
Top Bottom