school shooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4370617.stm

At least eight people have been killed and about 14 injured when a gunmen opened fire at a school in the northern US state of Minnesota, officials say.
The gunman - a local student - was believed to be among the dead in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School, FBI spokesman Paul McCabe said.

Police have launched an investigation into the incident at the school on the Red Lake Indian Reservation.

The school - close to the Canadian border - has about 300 students.

The dead include two male students - including the gunman - two female students, a teacher, a security guard, and a man and woman shot earlier at another location, Mr McCabe said.

Eyewitnesses are quoted as saying that the whole reservation has been locked down by police who had set up road blocks.

The reservation is home to Indians of the Chippewa tribe.

poverty + crime + guns = more shootings

guns and responsible gun ownership do not. You can if you want take away ordinary citizens guns but you will still have violent crime and you will still have shootings.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
poverty + crime + guns = more shootings

guns and responsible gun ownership do not. You can if you want take away ordinary citizens guns but you will still have violent crime and you will still have shootings.

Interesting that you think poverty has anything to do with it.

But actually most school shootings are young males from middle class parents.

Interesting too that we (society) are getting used to it. It wasn't even the top news story this evening when I saw it. :|

Then again....maybe because the victims are some of "those people" ie., American Indians. :huh:

Last edited:
Please don't blame this on gun ownership! The kid stole his fathers police issued gun.

You guys always want to boil these things down to politics - it's really more about what was in this kid's head than anything else.

:(

MadelynIris said:
Please don't blame this on gun ownership! The kid stole his fathers police issued gun.

You guys always want to boil these things down to politics - it's really more about what was in this kid's head than anything else.

:(

True but there is something to be said about proper gun ownership. Were these guns locked up, or did the kid have easy access to the guns?

originally posted by MadelynIris
You guys always want to boil these things down to politics - it's really more about what was in this kid's head than anything else

Its probably another case of kid being an outcast and bullied by other kids and was looking for revenge.

Last edited:
I grew up in northern Minnesota, so in all honesty it doesn't suprise me a bit.

Everyone who grew up on the Iron Range knows that the Red Lake Indian Reservation is not a very nice place at all(especially if you're non-indian). In fact, it's one of the very few places I've really felt unsafe. My brother-in-law, for example, was fishing on Upper Red Lake. When a group of locals saw him there, they chased my brother in law off the lake with a shotgun. It's one of these places where when you're driving through, it's best to lock the car doors and really hope the car doesn't break down. Like all places, most people are good. It's been better the last 5-10 years, but there is still a very violent, fucked up mentality in plenty of people there.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
I grew up in northern Minnesota, so in all honesty it doesn't suprise me a bit.

Everyone who grew up on the Iron Range knows that the Red Lake Indian Reservation is not a very nice place at all(especially if you're non-indian). In fact, it's one of the very few places I've really felt unsafe. My brother-in-law, for example, was fishing on Upper Red Lake. When a group of locals saw him there, they chased my brother in law off the lake with a shotgun. It's one of these places where when you're driving through, it's best to lock the car doors and really hope the car doesn't break down. Like all places, most people are good. It's been better the last 5-10 years, but there is still a very violent, fucked up mentality in plenty of people there.

Oh, really? Wow...that's scary.

Anywho...I can see a gun debate's gonna be brewing here, so I agree with the person who said that it's more about what was in the kid's head-the best way to solve this problem is to learn what drives kids to do these kinds of things, not to try and start campaigning to keep guns out of people's hands and all that. I hate guns-as I've said before, they really make me uneasy personally, probably because I'm not used to being around them much-but I also know that there's many people who own them and are responsible with them and would never dream of doing anything like this, too.

As for those who died in this tragic event-my condolances to their families and friends, and may they all rest in peace. It's a shame to see this happening yet again.

And I thought the unfortunate age of school shootings was over. :|

Including one's family in the casualty list is a new and horrifying twist, isn't it?

Please, no more!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Interesting that you think poverty has anything to do with it.

But actually most school shootings are young males from middle class parents.
Most shootings are not school shootings.

Macfistowannabe said:
The constitution entitles it.

Anyways, what a tragedy. :(

yeah.. cause the queen of england can knock down your door and kill you in your sleep.. those damn english, you cant trust them, they never give up

stick to your guns, people! :angry:

here are the words of one angry wise man...

'This guy comes up to me saying
His face red like a rose on a thorn bush
Like all the colours of a royal flush
And he's peeling off those dollar bills
Slapping them down
Right there in the WalMart
Slapping em right down

One hundred
Two hundred
Three... hundred...
That's all, that's all

And I can feel the cold steel
I can feel the cold steel
And I can make a wound that won't heal
I can make a wound that won't heal
38 millimeters like the police
I'm at the door where John and Yoko live in love and peace
In love and peace
In love and peace
Feel like an old shoe
A rerelease
Soon to be deceased

Pull the trigger, the rock and roll ******
He's bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker
Pull the trigger on the rock and roll ******
Bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker

My pulse is pacing
My eyes are chasing
For an autograph, I've been waiting
Beatle baiting
There's no escaping
History is taping

Hey John...
War is over we don't need your help
America's making war on itself
War is over we don't need your help
America's making war on itself
Six hundred and seventy six thousand
Will go down in the streets of America
With a bullet in the next 20 years
20 years, these bitter tears
In a business of bitter tears

John...
Can you hear us calling?
More bodybags than Vietnam
What's my name?
Mark Chapman
What's my name?
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman

And we run
Into the arms
Of America '

swissair135 said:
Why do Americans need to own guns?

More guns = more shootings

It is maddening to many of us-Bush did not renew the assault weapons ban.

Whenever I hear about a school shooting I always think about when I was in high school. With all the cliques, teasing etc it is amazing there wasn't an incident like the ones we have seen. I'm from NJ and guns aren't really part if the culture there (at least where I was) I think that is part of the reason.

More beer = more deaths due to drunk driving.

Why do Americans need to drink beer?

Deciding to shoot someone, drink and drive, do drugs, etc. all comes down to personal moral decisions. I find it funny that whenever a tragedy like this happens, human behavior is the last thing to be blamed. It's always the gun's fault. People massacred eachother for thousands of years before guns were ever invented. Man will always find ways to be violent and destructive whether it is with a gun or with a tree branch. Until we learn that it is vital to hold people responsible for their own moral decisions, we will continue to be misguided in our attempts to create a more civilized society. I think that killing your grandparents and then going to school and killing your classmates is evil and demented. Too bad calling a spade a spade has become akin to hate speech in our society.

Last edited:
MaxFisher said:
More cars = more deaths due to car accidents

Why do Americans need to own cars?

the primary purpose of a car is transportation.

the primary purpose of a gun is to kill someone or something. it serves no other purpose.

that's a crap analogy.

Irvine-

What I'm trying to say is...

If we outlawed alcoholic beverages in this country....alcohol related deaths would certainly decrease.

If we outlawed guns....gun related deaths would certainly decrease.

However, I don't think that taking someone's right to enjoy an alcoholic beverage should be taken away simply because it would save lives. I feel the same way about guns.

I am a strong supporter of moderation and personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol, guns, or any other thing.

MaxFisher said:
Irvine-

What I'm trying to say is...

If we outlawed alcoholic beverages in this country....alcohol related deaths would certainly decrease.

If we outlawed guns....gun related deaths would certainly decrease.

However, I don't think that taking someone's right to enjoy an alcoholic beverage should be taken away simply because it would save lives. I feel the same way about guns.

I am a strong supporter of moderation and personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol, guns, or any other thing.

So what do you enjoy by possessing guns?

And why does this (=random shootings) almost always happen in the USA?

Back
Top Bottom